Author Topic: Skyy CPX-1  (Read 18932 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Skyy CPX-1
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2005, 08:21:37 PM »
I agree Chris, that the market will straighten all this out.

One more thing... And this is not to defend Skyy or anyone there -- I never heard of the gun before getting around to reading this thread today...but...

The internet is a strange place for those who are just getting the hang of it.  The (often unfullfilled) promise of total anonymity can be very tempting...  I would guess that many of us may have been tempted at times to say things that weren't entirely true when we thought there was no real connection to our real selves.  People justify it in their minds by believing that others do it too.

This guy at Skyy wouldn't be the first person to log on and praise themselves or their products or to bid up their own items on eBay.

I am the first one to preach that dishonesty is a character flaw -- and people who are dishonest in one aspect of their life are likely dishonest in others.  But, I think that internet foibles among those who don't yet know better may be a bit more excusable.  The guy was trying to promote a product he believed in -- he just did it the way wrong way and got caught.

Someone like that may not ever get the benefit of the doubt from me -- but he isn't necessarily dead to me either if he learned from the experience.

Again -- just my two cents.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2005, 08:31:14 PM »
There are some businesses that I've found that try to portray themselves as something that they're not - as a means to avoid accountability.  

I talked with the President of Skyy Industries today.  He brought up about the incident on KTOG and how that was the wrong thing for his VP to do.  He apologized on KTOG, which shows he's trying to right the wrong in my opinion.  

My basic philosophy is to give everyone a chance to make it right.  If a company continues on the same path, after it's been brought to their attention, then I believe they should be exposed as having less than ethical practices.
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2005, 09:51:46 PM »
It looks pretty good to me.  The price $289.95 has much appeal for a 9mm pistol.

It got off to a shaky start with those posts, but I suppose worse things have happened.

If it is reliable, they will sell a ton of them.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2005, 10:09:21 PM »
Stogie - welcome :)

Duane, Kevin - on reflection yeah - I guess product enthusiasm and a wish to promote it got the better of the VP.

I certainly can see why he would give it a try - because quite simply - you gotta get the name ''out there'' - bit like us asking folks about the pup - ''Rohrbaugh - never heard of 'em''!!! ;D

Reaching the market does take time, effort and eventually word of mouth gets into the frame and things move on from there.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2005, 10:14:48 PM »
Not to be doubtful but the old aphorism pops up, "If it
looks too good to be true, it probably is." We shall soon see
because the proof is always in the pudding. Dialogue only
goes so far with a firearm.  

Offline StogieC

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2005, 10:18:09 PM »
Stogie - welcome :)

Thanks, love these pocket 9mm pistols.  Unfortunately for me the Rohrbaughs are a bit outside my price range.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2005, 10:57:16 PM »
I agree Tracker, we will see.  I am not sure this gun sounds too good to be true though -- a slightly tweaked P-11 in the same price range.  Not a miracle gun by any means -- but maybe another decent affordable carry gun.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2005, 11:34:37 PM »
I guess you'd want a manual safety on a revolver too -- or, maybe the Rohrbaugh... ::)  

Worried about someone getting your gun?  Learn retention techniques and carry an HK P7 and you'll get added protection...most BGs know nothing about a squeeze cocker.  ;D

I still say the Skyy is no improvement over the KT, just a low production rate clone that will be lucky to survive.

BTW, the VP of Skyy signed on the KT Owner's Group forum -- did not identify who he was, but posed as a "satisfied Skyy customer" -- and started talking up the Skyy.  When confronted as to if he had any vested interest in the gun (he was a new poster on the forum), he denied it -- repeatedly....  Until, he was "busted" by TxCajun who found a similar posting from the same guy on a non-gun forum where he openly admitted his position as the VP of the company.

So, you initially  asked if anyone knew anything about the Skyy.  I know this, they copied the design from George Kelgren -- and a principal of the company (Skyy) went on the web forum of his competitor's owner's group (KTOG), trying to play up his new product -- denied what he was doing, and then got caught.  Though the President of Skyy later posted a letter of confession and "reprimand", I say dishonest business practices usually run deeper than any isolated event that comes to light.

It may be a quality product in terms of manufacturing, since it is from a CNC shop. The Autuaga was a quality gun too (a copy of Larry Seecamp's fine pistol).  But the Autuaga didn't last long...
You are obviously aware of some political issues with the Skyy owners/management and the Kel-Tec folks that I know nothing about -- nor do I want to know anything about. My interest is in the firearm. Is it safe? Is it accurate? Is it reliable? I want something that I can carry around my property when I'm cutting grass, when I'm shoveling snow, when I'm digging in the garden, etc. For me, my Rohrbaugh is for deep concealment around the office -- not in the backyard.

As far as manual safeties are concerned ... yes, I prefer manual safeties on gun. When I received my training at the academy over two decades ago, it was with a pistol that had a manual safety. I carried S&W auto-loaders with manual safeties for nearly a quarter of a century. It's hard for an old dog to learn new tricks.

And I would prefer that the R9 came with a manual safety. I even discussed this with Eric when I was buying my first R9 and assured him of another sale if he came out with a version that had a manual safety. He told me that wasn't likely to happen.

Manual safeties ... It comes down to personal preference. The fact that the Skyy has one and the P-11 doesn't, is a plus for Skyy in MY book. The fact that I use to own a P-3AT and it wouldn't chamber a single round by itself no matter what type of ammo used is a mark against Kel-Tec in my book.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2005, 11:51:20 PM »
Interestingly too, if the post on KTOG is to be believed, George Kelgren is not too bent out of shape over this copy...so why should anyone else be?
Duane (DDGator)

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2005, 12:13:39 AM »
My disclaimer, I have no relation with Skyy Industries. I do live in the same area but I have not even met anyone from the company.
I say this because their VP went on another forum pretending to be a "satisfied customer". He got busted, came clean, and apologized.

Interesting that your first two -- and only -- posts on the Rohrbaugh forum, are in response to the Skyy... but welcome just the same.

I agree, the market will sort things out.  The use of a proprietary magazine with less capacity and the Skyy's 3 ounce (17 for the Skyy and 14 for the P-11) heavier weight will make the CPX-1 a tough competitor to the KT...  Especially if the only real "improvement" is the addition of the manual safety.

I'll be interested to see some photos of the gun's internals when one of you takes possession of your example  -- to see what exactly all of the improvements may be.

Edit to Add:  Brian, the infamous Skyy VP, recommends to a CPX-1 owner experiencing FTEs and FTFs with standard WWB ammo to "use only American Eagle ammo for practice and Federals for carry".....now, I'd say THAT is a real improvement over the KT!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 12:38:28 AM by flyandscuba »
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2005, 08:16:20 AM »
Here's a link to an auction for one on Gunbroker:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=41217178

It shows pics of different angles of the gun.
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2005, 08:49:58 AM »
Decent looking gun.   The muzzle and the rear of the slide show KT influence as well.

Aside from the fact it seemingly doesn't need a safety, the operation of the safety looks unusual to me.  Good that it presses down (unless you like slide mounted safeties), but the angle seems odd.  Hard to tell until you press it, I guess.

I agree that the proprietary mags isn't as nice as the KT interchangeability with S&W mags.  I wonder how much Skyy will be asking for them?

I think that limited ammo selection is less of a problem with a real speciality gun like the Seecamp or R-9.  Since the KT digests most anything, one would think the Skyy should too.

Looking forward to seeing one for myself.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2005, 11:30:57 AM »
I'll be interested to see some photos of the gun's internals when one of you takes possession of your example  -- to see what exactly all of the improvements may be.
Well, before I get it, I wanna find out if the gun is accuarte and reliable. Which is why I started this thread to see if anybody has heard anything.

Did some looking around and based of some posts over at THR, it appears that there might be some serious reliability issues with this gun.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2005, 04:47:46 PM »
THere is a lot of info accruing at the Skyy forum -- www.skyyforum.com

Duane (DDGator)

Offline RJ HEDLEY