Author Topic: Friend picked up two new Kimber 1911's  (Read 3089 times)

Offline sslater

• Master
Friend picked up two new Kimber 1911's
« on: February 13, 2006, 07:09:32 PM »
I went with an old friend on Saturday to "help" him pick up a new Kimber Ultra Carry 1911 pistol.  Beautiful piece.  It has an aluminum frame, which Kimber claims has proven reliable thru "20,000 rounds without measureable wear".  (Wish I could say that about my R9S  ;) )
While he was filling out the paperwork, the counter guy showed him a Kimber Gold Match II in black.  It had an integral light rail on the dust shield, mag well, bumper pads on the eight-round magazines, Custom Shop logo on the grips.  He bought that one, too.  
Personally, I'm not a big fan of single action pistols, but my friend is a retired Marine and he had to have what the Corps is now issuing to its troops.  After holding those two guns, I can say nothing but good things about Kimber's products.  
The Gold Match is a factory custom and up there in the $1500 range.  The Ultra Carry, while less fancy, was beautifully finished and somewhere in the $700+ range.

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
Re: Friend picked up two new Kimber 1911's
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 11:21:26 PM »
A buddy of mine just bought a Kimber (.45 cal).  It is very nice.  I shot a few magazines though it and had one failure to feed.  It is a big gun and the mag only holds 8 rounds.  I was shooting my Glock 30 better and decided a Kimber is not for me.  The finish of the firearm is excellent.  As far as not getting 20,000 rounds from your R9 I think you could, but you would be replacing parts along the way since it is not really designed for that.  If you look at it like a 'hammer' you just have to replace the 'handle' or the 'head' and it will last forever.  I have noticed if one is not handy the R9 may not be for them since it requires some skill to keep it up like allot of semi-auto's do.  Some folks may be better served with an easy to maintain light weight revolver.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 11:27:59 PM by bigyimmy »

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 11:41:16 AM »
I think If I were to fire 20,000 rounds through my R9 I would need a new hand before I needed a new R9.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 01:57:20 PM »
this is a very personal thing. Most folks carry what feels good and shoots good to them. To some its a small auto, small wheel gun or pocket gun.
To me its a light weight auto ie: Colt officers model with night sights, carried on a belt holster at point of hip or just behind poh or fanny pack.
However, this being said there were times I didn't carry because of weight, clothes & etc. So now its always a pocket gun, enter the R9s.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 11:21:06 AM »
The aluminum kimbers wear about the same as the R9 -- at least mine has -- but after the first 500 rounds or so, it stopped -- I have a couple thousand through it -- need to get the springs replaced -- and there is not any excessive wear on the frame.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.