Author Topic: Glock 43  (Read 11269 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Glock 43
« on: July 07, 2016, 03:21:03 PM »

I finally purchased a Glock 43.  My local range had a 4th of July sale -- and offerred five guns at $450.  Not a bad deal.

I really like the Glock platform, and my 42 has been a great gun -- but on the large side for a .380.  I feel like the 43 is a good size for a serious 9mm gun.  It is not R-9, of course, but hard to beat for the size/price/performance.

Any of you guys on the 43 bandwagon?

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Re: Glock 43
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 09:37:30 PM »
Yeah, Karl has had his for about half a year or more already. I use my 1965 3" Bulldog .44 Spl. wheel gun with a bobbed hammer job and Pachmayr grips. Shoots 2" groups at 21 feet double action. Not bad at all.   ;-)
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 09:40:04 PM »
I fired one at a local range on the day they had free rentals.  Something about it did not appeal to me.  For some reason the only Glock I have ever liked is my G20C.  Tried G19s, sold them.  Had a G21 and sold it, did not like it at all, which I found really strange as it is identical to the G20 in size.  Used to carry that 10mm a lot as a woods gun.  I think they are some of the finest firearms ever made, try as I may just can't fall in love with em'.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 09:44:00 PM »
I must say I did try my brother's G43 and found it shot nice, for me. Comfortable and pretty accurate. Just sayin' . . . . .   ;-)

ecr
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 10:28:37 PM »

I never wanted to love Glocks, but I do.  I really appreciate the lines and craftsmanship of a Sig Sauer, but dollar for dollar, it is hard to beat a Glock.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 07:03:18 AM »
    I think I have mentioned this many, many times here on the forum.To me nothing carries like the R9. Unfortunately,I feel it's important to carry what we shoot regularly,and for me it's Glocks.
       I have had over the years probably nine or ten,including a 10mm,which I probably should have not sold.Among other times out at the range shooting my R9,Ruger LCR 9mm,,and my 1911's,I shoot every week in a defensive pistol league.We shoot between 75 and 100 rounds every Tuesday night.Sometimes I use one of my 1911's,but by and large my Glocks.One is a 43 and one is a 27.Had a 42,didn't like it.I agree,a little big for a 380.
     I do not reload so the 43 is more economical to shoot.But I score much better with the 27.I think that is because of two factors,one the green fiber sights are easier for me to see,and two,a little more to grip onto.My 43 came new with a front sight that emits red in daylight,and green in dark.
   It is also stamped,"Made in U.S.A."
  My take.Duane,is yours stamped Austria or U.S.?

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 11:21:00 AM »

Mine is U.S. production.  Are any of the 43s made in Austria?
Duane (DDGator)

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 11:33:40 AM »
Yes, I have seen Austrian made 43s in the US.

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 07:33:08 AM »
Mine is made in Austria.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline FALLEN77

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 04:21:19 PM »
I too have a G43 along with the R9. I alternate between them depending on what I am wearing. Here in California, I wear shorts and tee shirts most of the time and often cant conceal even the G43 easily. Around here if someone suspects you are carrying because of printing they will most likely call the cops in a panic rather than tap you on the shoulder and say "hey, you're printing". If I am only carrying one and the clothes I am wearing that day allow it, I will choose the G43 anytime I can over the R9 for a variety of reasons.

1. I don't want to beat up the R9 by carrying it every day. I can drop my G43 and not care too much but dropping my R9 would surely make me cry.
2. The size of the G43 makes it much easier to shoot compared to the R9. I can and do shoot a couple hundred rounds per range session with the G43 but its not very enjoyable to shoot the R9 that much.
3. The G43 striker fire with short reset makes it a better fighting gun if you need to get several shots off quick.
4. I have a couple higher capacity mags (extensions) for the G43 that I can carry if I can hide the extra length or have as a backup.
5. Since the G43 is not a pocket gun, it is faster on the draw from IWB than drawing the R9 from the Recluse wallet holster. if they're both being concealed the same this is probably a mute point.
6. Karl Rohrbaugh carry's a G43... enough said!

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 11:18:19 PM »

FALLEN77 -- another reason for the Glock 43 -- you can use 9mm +P -- which is my ammo of choice.  ;)

Duane (DDGator)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 12:44:14 PM »
@johnny

Not to hi-jack the thread, but have you had bullets jump crimp in your 9mm LCR ?

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 08:08:28 PM »
I'm back from a 1 month road trip that took us from Sarasota, Fl. to a cabin in the woods of Asheville, NC to a house on the beach of Cape Cod, Mass. to Rhode Island restaurants to The Outer Banks, NC to Charleston, SC to St. Augustine, FL & back to Sarasota. Good to be home & away from all the liberals up north! Always in my back pocket was my Seecamp .380...no one ever knew it was there & to Hell with all the liberal carry laws...we live in a crazy world! That being said...Right before I left I sold my new Glock 43. Even with the Ghost mods, I could not warm up to it. I will never doubt the reliability, but I was never into bland looks. I bought a new Sig P 938 Nightmare 9mm. I love the looks, the way it shoots, the way it feels, & everything else about it! More expensive than the Glock, but I think well worth it. Check it out...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 08:10:02 PM by cargaritaville »
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 10:27:52 PM »
That sounds like a good trip. I can understand your self defense concerns, but a friend who commutes between his Texas and Maine homes told me that some of his Maine friends who also lived in Florida stopped carrying their guns while driving between the two states. The Maryland Highway Patrol was stopping travelers with Florida plates and searching for guns with probable cause because they lived in a carry state with no Maryland reciprocity privileges.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 10:52:32 PM »
Not to mention that when pulled over they know you have a carry permit. I have been asked if I had a weapon on me when pulled over here in IN.

To have to say yes when you are illegal or have them find out the hard way would mean some serious trouble.

Could you possibly lose your carry permit if you were busted in such a situation?

I have felt a concern while traveling as well, but when thinking about odds I feel like I may be at a larger risk of being pulled over and busted for having a handgun illegally than needing to apply deadly force to stop my family from being slain.

If you could lose your carry permit it would sure stink to then not be allowed to legally carry in the day to day operations of life where I feel I'm at the most risk rather than vacationing.

Im not trying to bust your butt, just my opinions.

Nice 938 BTW Norman.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)