Author Topic: Kel-Tec P3AT  (Read 7390 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Kel-Tec P3AT
« on: April 09, 2006, 08:40:40 PM »
Any ideas on one of these?  I really have no use for it, other than it seems incredibly small, and light.  I might be able to use it to wear in the coat pocket of a suit -- which I wear maybe 3x's per year... so it'd just be a toy -- maybe something my brother would carry, since he thinks an R9 has too much recoil.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Kel-Tec P3AT
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 10:00:33 PM »
They are pretty decent guns.  They carry "flatter" than an R-9.  I have had two.  My first ran like a top, but I sold it.  The second needs a trip back to the factory.  Go figure.

I am not sure it it all that much more pleasant to shoot than an R-9 though...

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 11:02:31 PM »
I couldn't get mine to chamber any rounds by itself even after a return trip from the factory

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 02:32:11 AM »
I had a 1st generation P3AT that would not function. I no longer have it.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 08:37:26 AM »
Mine always fired perfectly, but it kicked like a mule, and the slide was extremely hard to operate.

It does conceal very well.

Bill

Offline Thunderbolt

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 11:14:19 AM »
Hey Folks,

I had to jump in on this one.

Like most everyone else, my first impression of the Kel-Tec's was "what a  :-X plastic toy" .............. However first impressions can be wrong  :)  at least IMHO.

I bought the P3AT about 3 mo. ago thinking I would never find an R9 and I wanted to have something I could just drop into a pocket even though I never had much use for the .380 ctg. (.45acp is the only one that really excites me 8) ). The KT has about 450 rounds through it and only one stovepipe and when I concentrate, I can group about 3" @ 15 yd. I'm definately not trying to be a cheerleader fot KT but I was pleasantly surprised  ::) , to say the least. It took about three trips to the range to really change my mind completely. I would probably feel differently if it had to go back to the manufacturer  :P . The only time it has had any feeding problem was when my shooting buddy tried to put some of his cheapo Russian Silver Bear through it last weekend ............ No Bueno! Of course his first comment was "what a :-X " and my reply was "keep that Commie ammo away from it and it's just fine". ;D  Once when I wasn't looking, he slipped in several mags. of Wolf .45 into my 3" Kimber ...... looked like it had been burning charcoal. >:(

On March 4th., I was fortunate enough to find my R9s at a local gun show and after a little over 200 rounds, things are starting to come together. The KT isn't even in the same league as the Rohrbaugh, however, at 15 yds. I can consistently get 2.5 to 3 inch groups with the P3AT (have to really concentrate) and only 6 inch groups with the R9s (I'm working on this I know it's me not the R9 ;) ).

The R9s is a fine precision tool but in my experience the P3AT ain't that bad.

Sorry, I idn't realize what a long ramble this was 'til I previewed it.

Good Shooting,
Thunderbolt
"Since you have chosen to elect a man with a timber toe to succeed me, you may all go to hell and I will go to Texas."   Hon. Davey Crockett

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 12:01:14 PM »
I must agree, when you look at the cost difference,  It sure isn't a bad choice and has it's uses.  
RJ=

Offline michael_t

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 04:04:49 PM »
Well I bought the P-32 version and then bought a 2nd for the wife. Only pistol I could ever get her to carry regular. I use mine as a back up  and she has hers cliped to her pants . Are they the best no but they have been reliable  and better than a stick.
1941 Colt USGI
1972 Colt Combat Commander
1995 Colt Combat Commander
1990 Colt Mustang
PPK/S
Bersa Thunder

Offline Laserlips

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 12:23:57 PM »
Well I bought the P-32 version and then bought a 2nd for the wife. Only pistol I could ever get her to carry regular. I use mine as a back up  and she has hers cliped to her pants . Are they the best no but they have been reliable  and better than a stick.

michael_t:

I've had a P32 for over a year, and "so far" mine has been 100% reliable and very accurate at self defense range. (7-10 yards).  In fact I was amazed at it's accuracy considering you don't have much to work with in way of sights.

For my wife and myself we consider the P32 to be an absolute "up close and personal" last resort defense pistol.  If the bg will give us 7-10 yards we will boogie on up the street as fast as our old senior citizen legs will carry us.. But close up and personal I have zero doubts the little KelTec WILL put 'em where you point 'em.

Don't corner a rat or scared old folks, cause we WILL bite'cha..

I would never even use the P32 and the Rohrbaugh in the same sentence when it comes to quality, or probably any other aspect where you might want to compare them.  

But for folks who don't have $1000.00, (like me), the KelTec P32 works just fine.

I think the new slim KelTec PF9 (or whatever it's called) will sell well for KT too...  Basically a smaller P11 with the better P3AT trigger setup..

Hey, we're on the Rohrbaugh forum... I EXPECT most folks to spit on other makes of firearms.  It's just the nature of the firearm owers cliques in general.  

I just appreciate the Rohrbaugh forum having this little piece of space for other firearms..  Nice of them to do that.

Best Wishes,

JP.

P.S.
When Fowler eventually shows up and starts trashing KT pistols (and he will), just consider the source and ignore him like the rest of us try to do..

"Laus Deo"

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 08:30:29 PM »
OK, well, I'm getting a hard chrome version -- they're cheap enough, to mess with, and I really haven't found a good gun for use in a suit -- the R9 is a bit too heavy for a Houston weight suit -- it's very obvious something heavy is in my pocket -- hasn't stopped me yet, but it wouldn't be bad to have something I could tuck into a jacket pocket -- and I can't quite bring myself to do the shoulder holster bit, if for no other reason than it would preclude taking my jacket off.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Arizona

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 03:39:54 PM »
I have kel-tec P3at which my wife and I fired 100 rounds without a flaw.  I took the barrel and polished it sand paper.  This allows the slide to flow better.

One45

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 08:19:47 PM »
I want to jump into this one on the side of Keltec.  I owned
several 1st gens. and never had a problem with any of them.
Got out of the Keltecs for awhile but, am back with a 2nd gen.
and in fact, just walked in from the backyard shooting a couple of mags through it.  I use only Gold Dots.  Never a FTE,
no problems at all.  I can put a mag into a 3" grouping at 10
yards with 2 hands and a bit bigger with only one-handed grip.
I have always fluff and buffed them (just working the slide over with fine grit sand paper), I use the NAA mag extensions
for more pinky hold and put on a Hogue Hand-all.  Those
additions really improve the little blaster.  Gotta love em.  Plus the factory is just about an hour away and they will let you
walk-on for service and have a great bunch of gunsmiths there.  I'm looking forward to new single-stack in 9mm.

Regards all.

P.S. I use the Keltec when just knocking around the yard, quick trips to the store and the R9 all the other times.  
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 08:20:53 PM by One45 »

Offline Arizona

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 05:56:10 PM »
At  11 0z. fully loaded and 8.3 oz. unloaded, it is the lightest .380 on the market.  

When I carry it, I forget it in my front pocket.  

It is a winner in these columns.

Offline Gerbilwarrior

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 07:36:53 PM »
My wife gave my a p3at for Christmas 2004.  It had some difficulties, so I sent it to KelTec in the Spring of 2005.  They sent me a whole new gun, which has functioned perfectly.  I shoot it about every two weeks, and have had absolutely no failures at all with it.  Here's some pix:
http://www.mouseguns.com/ideal2.htm

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 03:26:12 AM »
Yeah, it's a decent little toy -- still can't bring myself to call it a gun, but I know some crazy Brits who feel the same way about my Benelli -- anyway, it's at least something my brother actually carries, as opposed to leaving in the car...now I just need to convince him to upgrade to a Rohrbaugh or Seecamp.