Author Topic: Kel-Tec P3AT  (Read 7394 times)

Offline Gerbilwarrior

Re: Kel-Tec P3AT
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2006, 06:40:47 AM »
I don't have the wampum for a Rohrbaugh right now, but I believe there will be one in my future some day!
 :)

Offline Laserlips

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2006, 09:01:15 AM »
Yeah, it's a decent little toy -- still can't bring myself to call it a gun, but I know some crazy Brits who feel the same way about my Benelli -- anyway, it's at least something my brother actually carries, as opposed to leaving in the car...now I just need to convince him to upgrade to a Rohrbaugh or Seecamp.

Not trying to be confrontational here, but I'd bet if someone pointed a P3AT in your face you might readjust your thinking about the little KelTec being a toy.....  Bet your brain would be screaming "gun, gun, gun" ......

Or at least I know MINE would..   ;D

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy
"Laus Deo"

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2006, 11:15:01 PM »
I have been very happy with my Kel-Tec P-32.  It is the only true pocket pistol I have seen above .22 or .25 caliber that has truly comfortable recoil.  However, I did have to switch from the factory 9 lb. recoil springs to Wolff 11 lb. springs for reliability when the gun is loaded 7+1, and consider this to be mandatory for anyone who owns one of these for serious purposes.  Wolff +10% extra power magazine springs and an extra power firing pin spring were also well worthwhile upgrades.  It has been as reliable as any pocket pistol I have used.

I am not at all suprised that making the same size gun in .380 caused them to have to beef up the 2nd generation ones, and I still read about mixed experiences with them.  Fortunately Kel-Tec's customer service is good.  

My own pocket .380 is from North American Arms, and while it is quite heavy, it is also quite reliable and durable.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Arizona

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2006, 01:57:17 AM »
Most important feature I would like for is dependability.  Glock had all these circles saying it was a toy plastic gun.  Now look.  When comparing the two in your hand, there is a big difference and the  pup has the advantage.

Would kel tec be looked at different if it weighed more or cost more?

Offline 19950ragtop

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2006, 06:37:20 PM »
Hi   my first post to the forum.

I currently carry a KT3AT 1st gen, HC and ported, that has been a very reliable and easy to carry.   Happy with both the gun and the P32 that I had before the .380

I also have a Kahr PM9 that is very reliable, but is a bit too big and heavy for front pocket carry.

So the question for those of you that have both the KT and R9, is there much difference in your ability to carry, or stated differently is the R9 much bulkier or heaver than the KT3at?

The R9s looks like a nice piece and I have a birthday coming up and my wife would love to buy me a new gun

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2006, 06:54:29 PM »
I personally have no more difficulty in carrying an R9 (or a PM40) than I do my P-3AT.  If I'm prone to doing rough field work or significant time out in the heat, I tend to grab the less expensive and lighter P-3AT.

When dressed in business casual on a normal workday, I prefer to carry a more potent pocket pistol like the R9 or PM40.
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline eblackhawk

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2006, 06:58:04 PM »
I have both and yes, there certainly is a difference in the size and weight when carrying in a front pocket.  It all comes down to what works for YOU; they both work equally well for me.  The R9s is such a beautifully balanced weapon that I carry it more often than the P3-AT.  If you're wearing jeans or some other tight-fitting pair of pants, you will have trouble with any "pocket pistol".  This time of the year, I'm always wearing some variation of cargo shorts and in the winter cargo pants or loose fitting jeans so I'm able to pocket one of four pistols-Kahr PM9, R9s, P3-AT or Seecamp LWS32. Great pocket companions all!
                                     Eric