Author Topic: Strange question for ya'll  (Read 1556 times)

Offline KiowaScout

Strange question for ya'll
« on: May 02, 2008, 11:18:10 AM »
First off, I'm new to the forum, so hello and I'd like to compliment ya'll on a nicely run and friendly environment- I didn't hesitate to register at all!  I'm new to these weapons, and have recently been on a CCW quest as I am new to these small and specialized pistols.
Here's my odd question: How does this pistol do in very hot temperatures with dust and sand buildup?  Is it a finicky-gotta-keep-squeaky-clean pistol, or is it as rugged as its good looks?
--------------------------------------------
Someone please sell me a Rohrbaugh!
SAE La Rho, Phi Alpha 265911
F & A.M. Lodge 62
USAWOA

ccoorreeyy

Re: Strange question for ya'll
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 12:32:43 PM »
Welcome KiowaScout!

I don't know how well they would take sand, I would guess that it would not like it.  I do know that I carry mine daily and clean it every weekend.  I don't know if I would have to clean it every week, but I am a land surveyor and it does get fairly dusty/dirty.  I usually shoot the mag full before I clean it and have not had any problems to date.  

How much sand are we talking about?  What do you do for a living?  If your a sandblaster or a beach lifeguard or somthing with that much sand you may need to get a Glock.

Corey

Offline tak

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 12:57:41 PM »
Hi KiowaScout,
I live in the New Mexico and have been carrying my R9s 24/7 for 2 1/2 years.  We have a lot of dust, sand and heat here.  I fire it  about once a month and clean it afterwards.  I love my R9s as it is the only weapon I can carry while wearing just shorts and  a tee shirt.    Tak

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 01:04:13 PM »
welcome, the pup should do well except "over there" see New Mexico post. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline KiowaScout

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 01:14:12 PM »
I'm a helicopter pilot that flies low around dust/sand with doors off and will be dealing with "over there" types of situations.  I really like these guns, and if the price weren't so high I'd probably jump right now for one just to have as mentioned above - shorts and a t-shirt carrying.  I'm in a heavy debate whether it's worth it for me personally, or if I should instead get a gun 1/3 of the price like a Kel-Tec (oh no, I said it!) :P
Thanks for the info so far though!
Someone please sell me a Rohrbaugh!
SAE La Rho, Phi Alpha 265911
F & A.M. Lodge 62
USAWOA

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 01:44:41 PM »
build a good custom .45acp 1911, small light frame.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 03:55:43 PM »
You could buy a used one and see if you like it / if it works for you.  If you decide its not for you sell it for the same price and your not out anything.  I bet you will keep it though!!!

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 01:20:33 AM »
I haven't had any problems in carrying mine for years -- even when not being cleaned for many months.  However, I haven't been in much dust.  I have stuck w. superlube, and I think it does a good job of keeping out the dust, moisture, etc.  I think, between the grease, esp. if you keep the muzzle covered, there's not much room for contaminants to enter.  

W. that said, if you'll have to use GI/NATO ammo, I believe it's far too high in pressure for the pup -- a compact Glock may be a better choice.  
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 01:27:49 AM »
From the sounds of it, being able to conceal as one would at the grocery store sounds like it may be an overkill in your line of work.    For a cockpit gun, I'd recommend the HK P2000 (2000SK) or P30.  Heck, you could pick up a USP 357 Sig for $499 at CDNN.  

I'm not a Glock fan, not because they're not reliable, I just can't get over the grip angle.  I'm a believer in having as much in common with one gun as the other as is reasonably possible - that strikes the Glock out.

The Walther P99s are good too.    

Point of my story, if there is one, is that you sound like you may need a more "combat" proven firearm, of which I'd feel comfortable with any HK or Glock.