Author Topic: is +p+ legal for a civilian to carry? See pic🔻  (Read 7780 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
is +p+ legal for a civilian to carry? See pic🔻
« on: January 17, 2015, 04:05:14 PM »
Okay I ordered some +p+ for my Glock the other day and found it interesting and somewhat confusing when I saw this sticker on the package. Duane do you have any answers? Anyone? Someone? Thanks.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: is +p+ legal for a civilian to carry? See pic🔻
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 05:35:02 PM »
Duane is probably on his way to SHOT 2015, so I'll jump in with my two cents.

Unless you live in some "Nanny" jurisdiction that has sought to prohibit the use by civilians of +P+ ammunition labeled "FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT USE ONLY" (a jurisdiction that has not yet had such an absurd prohibition challenged and struck down in court), there is no problem with civilian use of such  ammunition for self-defense.  The "LEO" label is actually a marketing device by manufacturers to advertise the product's effectiveness.  Furthermore, in the unfortunate event that you were required to use +P+ ammo to save yourself or others, it could be very helpful in any defense that you availed yourself of the same load recommended for LEOs in their sworn duty "to protect and defend."

Further, deponent sayeth not.

[Edited to correct typo.]
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 05:20:49 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 06:14:57 PM »
Ok Richard. That is very helpful. The tag in the photo didn't do anything to motivate me to buy it I can assure you, but quite the contrary. I became instantly concerned as to the legal ramifications I would find myself in if I had to defend myself or another innocent.

They should consider changing their advertisement campaign if that's all it is IMO.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 07:35:30 PM »
Another possibility for the LEO label is so that the manufacturer covers, aka CYA, itself from the ammo used in a less than capable handgun. Presumably, law enforcement agencies adhere to a minimum standard weapon which individuals may not. That being said, most modern day handguns meet the standard unless otherwise prohibited, such as the R9 and others. Strictly on a personal basis I don't feel the necessity to carry +P+ ammo in any gun.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 07:57:03 PM »
I have to agree with tracker on this one.

I would not run a lot of +P+ through any of my guns.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 09:38:10 PM »
I won't run much, but wanted to try some out. I doubt it will hurt my G27. It runs .40 and .357 Sig too. I bet it wouldn't be a problem in any full size handgun. It doesn't produce quite the velocity as the .357 Sig.

I have to take it off of my bucket list. Haha

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 09:44:56 PM »

Velocity junkies unite.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 02:47:48 PM »
In reviewing my initial post in this thread, I see that my rumination (perhaps influenced by a couple of glasses of fine Merlot) on a possible defense for civilian use of +P+ ammunition in a self-defense situation might be interpreted as a recommendation of those loads.  I did not inteand to make any such recommendation.  In fact, as I have often noted on the Forum, I am actually a member of "The Bigger Rock" school of thought and do not use +P+ ammo in any of my firearms.

I also agree with comments above on the stress that +P+ ammo places on any firearm, noting in addition that it presents the possibility of over-penetration. 

Here is a link to a discussion of the subject that may be worthy of review:

http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/2013/02/what-is-p-and-p-ammunition.html
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 02:57:03 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 04:53:23 PM »

I did not infer from your post that you recommended the use of +P+ ammo. You were only addressing the legality of such loads for civilian use in the face of an "LEO Only" label on the box, which was entirely correct from my point of view. This discussion has been both helpful and informative.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 08:38:06 AM »

Velocity junkies unite.

This reminds me of a guy I used to see at our range.  I did not know his real name but everyone called him "Magnum Matt".

I was shooting a lot of rifle in those days and had some 22-250's that would shoot 1/2" at 200 yds if I did my part.  Magnum Matt always was shooting 220 Swifts and laughed at my rifles.  Matt did not care if he could hit a refrigerator at 50 feet as long as the bullet got there fast.

I was watching him shoot one of his Swifts one day with some of his super hot 40 grain loads.  On about half the shots, the lead core was melting out of the bullet as it flew and left a smoke trail similar to the contrails airplanes leave.  Magnum Matt was pleased as punch.

Later I was talking to my Gunsmith who knew Matt and he told me some other stories.  Matt loaded up some super hot loads to go prairie dog shooting.  He gets up to South Dakota and it was about 105 degrees out.  The first afternoon a case rupters and blows the mag well out of his rifle, so he has to come home. 

My Gunsmith also told me he stretched the frame on a K frame Smith  with his 357 hand loads and ruined it.  Neither I or my Gunsmith had ever heard of that being done.

Magnum Matt, a true Velocity Junkie.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 08:52:36 AM »
That's awesome! Do you have his number? I was thinking of starting to hand load and need some pointers. These double tap 357 sigs and +p+ 9mm gold dots  are just not quite making me happy.

Need...

...More ...

...Speed!

Haha. Good stuff.

As for the 9 mm +p+ I am interested to see how it performs. I'm pretty content with 9 mm +p, but also think the extra powder MAY serve a place with some of today's short barrels. Kinda makes sense if the pistol is constructed in a way that can handle the load. Not that I want to range practice all day with cases of +p+.

John Stuart Mill

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 09:34:05 AM »
When I was in junior high school I was target shooting one summer day with a friend who had an old trapdoor single-shot .22 rifle. If memory serves, it was an early Hamilton Model 27 chambered for short and long .22. Anyway, I was standing next to him when the old girl "gave up the ghost" - spectacularly blowing out her breech block. Neither one of us was injured but it made a lasting impression on my then young mind.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 09:42:10 AM »
Josh says

As for the 9 mm +p+ I am interested to see how it performs. I'm pretty content with 9 mm +p, but also think the extra powder MAY serve a place with some of today's short barrels. Kinda makes sense if the pistol is constructed in a way that can handle the load. Not that I want to range practice all day with cases of +p+.

The trouble I see with +P+ ammo is there are no specs on it.  I am sure Speer is putting out a safe product when used as intended.  That to me means full sized law enforcement type service pistols and not short barreled pocket guns.

Your G27 is built like a full sized pistol and is probably OK.  The only potential problem is that the Glock barrel does not fully support the case and there is a potential to blow out there.  That problem is usually associated with the 40 S&W and !0mm Glocks and not the 9mm.  I would call Speer and ask.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 09:47:50 AM by MRC »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 10:43:05 AM »
As you know hand loads are not recommended in factory Glock barrels. Many years ago on my first CHL range qualification with a BHP 9 mm I carelessly threw some locally purchased hand loads in my range bag. The long and short of that mistake is that the left wooden grip blew off my pistol on one shot during qualification. Nothing was wounded but my pride and the instructor said that I was through for the day. Fortunately, I persuaded him to give me another chance with a backup Colt Gold Cup I had in my car and factory ammo and all ended well. I haven't fired a reload since.