Author Topic: Working Out New Gun Issues  (Read 1396 times)

Offline joesolo

Working Out New Gun Issues
« on: December 21, 2006, 07:53:49 PM »
Yall know I'm new (some of ya anyway) to the R9s but not new to pistols. I'm still working on getting comfortable with it and trusting its reliability. So far, I've put 400 rounds thru it and sometimes go 50-60 bullets without any feed probs. Tried silvertip 115, GD 115, etc. I wonder if my issues have anything to do with fatigue. I know when I fire a full mag quickly my hand starts to really feel it and I wonder if I "let the gun go." So, my real question is: Do yall think these reliability issues are more a function of fatigue/grip/recoil and NOT the gun just not functioning properly? I seem to shoot better with a glove on so bought a Hogue grip to see if this helps. Will try this weekend. Thoughts?

Cheers...Joe

Offline riffraff

• Master
Re: Working Out New Gun Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 09:12:25 PM »
Joe,

There have been one or two posts here where owners deleberatly tried to limp wrist their R9 to make it malfunction and it reportedly had no effect.  It seems that most R9's function well and others seem to be problems.  Yours seems to be doing pretty well but if you are still not satisfied with the reliability with that ammo, look for a post Titled This is the ammo that works.  There are 3 loads listed there that I can pretty much guarantee will function 100%.  The only down side is that none of them are classified as "self defense" rounds.

However I think you are aproaching the reliability issue in the wrong way.  Extended range shooting is inviting problems with an R9.  Yours is "broke in".  Now clean and lube it.  Take it to the range and fire 2 full mags thru it then clean and lube it again and do the same, and again and again.  I would start with a new recoil spring before you  begin this procedure.  Anyway, after you have done this 4 or 5 or whatever times with no jams you should feel confident that it will perform when TSHTF.

My opinions only,   Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 09:31:43 PM »
I agree with Mike on the above..

How many rounds do you shoot at a session?

If you are doing over 50 or so,it may be a bit much for your pup..
It is thought that 50 or so is the "magic" mark before cleaning..
Also it has been thought that shooting more than a couple of mags "fast" may heat up the pup and affect tolerances..

I found the food my pup liked and shoot it every couple of weeks,and carry with confidence.. 8)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline joesolo

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 11:04:01 PM »
Ok. New range test this week. Gun is clean, lubed and has a new spring. I'll try the Silvertips or WWB ammo for 50 and call it a day. I'll repeat the scenario the next day or two and hopefully can consider it ready to rock.