Author Topic: Surefire Flashlights  (Read 9571 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Surefire Flashlights
« on: July 05, 2004, 12:35:09 PM »
I have been addicted to Surefire flashlights since the G2 Nitrolon price went down a while ago (1 year?) and I took delivery of my G2.  What a light for about $35!

Since then I got an E2e and like it a lot -- slimmer and easy to carry.  

I recently bought the 1 cell E1e light.  I was worried that I would not like the 15 lumen output and much as the standard 60 lumen output on the E23 and G2 -- but I wanted something that could slip into my pocket opposite my R-9 and be nearly unnoticeable.

I was not disappointed.  I tried the E1e out a lot at home, but I kind of put it thought its paces last night while out for fireworks.  This tiny little flashlight still throws one heck of a bright, focused beam.  These are great lights.

Next on my list is a 120 lumen bulb for the G2 -- with as bright and blinding as 60 lumens is, I think 120 should be almost incapacitating to be hit with unexpectedly at night.  What a great advantage.  Could turn a gun fight into a one-sided track meet pretty quickly.

You guys use Surefires?
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
Re: Surefire Flashlights
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 12:40:17 PM »
Yup...I have 2 E2e and 2 Z2 flashlights. I carry one of the E2e's on my person in the winter, and keep one in the car. The Z2 goes into my pocket when I go on "house calls." I want to upgrade the light bulb in my Z2 flashlights. I never use the Z2 as a utility light.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 03:51:15 AM »
I've got the 6P.  I have all of my mag carriers made as a combo to hold the light as well.  An example is the Blade Tech below -- for my M357.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v250/flyandscuba/Steyr_Blade_Tech.jpg

« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 03:53:27 AM by flyandscuba »
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 08:22:50 AM »
I keep a 6P on my nightstand and one in my car.  I bought one for my wife and daughter, all upgraded to 120 lumens.  Also have a C3 Centurion upgraded to 200 lumens, but it's a bit long (3 cell) for nightly carry.

They work.  The other night I was walking my two dogs, R9S and Surefire 6P in tow, when I spotted two rotweilers crossing the street about 100 feet in front of me--no leashes or owner in sight!  They saw me at about the same time and both turned to come my way.  I seared their retinas with the 120 lumen 6P and they stopped in their tracks: the light blinded them!  The owner then came up and collared them.  It ticked me off that he would let his (attack) dogs out without leashes, so on my way past them I gave him a flash in the eyes with the 6P (by accident, of course).  I do think the light kept the situation from turning very ugly, and may have been responsible for my not having to draw the R9S, although I'm sure glad I had it along.

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 02:10:12 PM »
I keep a Surefire 6Z by my bed to investigate odd noises in the night but I also have a Streamlight M6 Tactical Light/Laser Aiming device which will mount on 3 of my guns.

Frank

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 09:38:59 PM »
I just have the diminutive E1e ..... adequate tho and remarkable for what it is.  Sits on my belt without taking up too much space ..... and keep a coupla boxes of 123A's in stock.  At night it is on the floor with carry piece.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 10:03:08 PM »
First post here, and I see some familiar people from the North American Arms forum.

My first Surefire was a 6Z.  I later bought a G2Z and an E1E.  I found the E1E to be a bit small, and the Z-series to be a bit bulky, but they definitely had better lenses than the Streamlight Scorpion I used previously.

After taking some training in low light shooting, I found that the cigar/Rogers/Surefire hold didn't work as well for me as simply holding the light at high chest/shoulder height, or in an FBT method position, so I switched to the smaller E2E.  The E2E fits in my rear pocket next to my wallet.

Right now I am carrying the L4, which uses an E2E body but has a 65 lumen LED head.  Unlike most LED lights, it has true focusing and spotlight capability, although the E2E still provides superior light at large distances.  With the LED, bulb failure is a non-issue, and when the batteries no longer have the energy to drive the light at 65 lumens, I don't get sudden light failure, but get 20 lumens for another 3 hours.

I just wish someone would make a Kydex belt carrier for the E2E or L4.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 10:24:19 PM »
Welcome, Bill!  I was wondering what we were going to have to do to get you to join us at this campfire.

Look around and you will find a number of familiar and kindred souls here.  As a fellow G-380 fan, I predict you will soon also be a fan of the Rohrbaugh 9mm.  

RS  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 10:26:33 PM »
Welcome, Bill.  Its a nice group of folks here.

Can't help you with kydex, but Kevin at K&D has access to my E2e if you want a belt carrier made of leather.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 10:52:07 PM »
Thanks Rich and Duane.

Rich, I suspect you are right.  I try not to be the first one on the block with a new toy, but the Rohrbaugh is increasingly looking like a must-have item for anyone who carries concealed.  My first priority right now is finding something my wife would like to carry (NOT an easy task).

Duane, leather is certainly a good option.  Can one be made that carries the light vertically bezel-down?  Or, horizontally in a manner that keeps the entire light pulled into the belt, and permits grabbing the light for a thumb-activation of the switch?

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2004, 02:25:43 PM »
You should probably talk to Kevin directly -- sales@kdholsters.com.  If its physically possible and does not violate the laws of physics -- he can probably do it!   ;D

Duane (DDGator)

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2004, 04:06:27 PM »
I know nothing about them personally, but have seen www.blade-tech.com mentioned. I have an old E2 with various filters-- use the red one at night a lot on the boat
Welcome home

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2004, 11:26:42 PM »
RWT,

I am a big fan of Blade-Tech IWB holsters, and I also have their belt sheaths for a 6Z and G2Z.  I was about to post that they don't make one for the E2E or L4, which has been the case for quite some time, however, upon checking their site, they now do make a belt sheath for the E2E.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004, 12:36:25 PM »
My Blade-Tech belt holder for the E2E arrived yesterday.

The good news:

1)  It is secure.

2)  They flipped the Tec-Lock upside down for easier on-off and so it rides higher on narrower belts.

The bad news:

It is about as bulky as a similar holder for a G2Z, and totally defeats the purpose of the E2E - having something less bulky to carry around than the G2Z.  There is a lot of air space between the light and the holder in the top section, and between the lens and the bottom of the case.  It also takes up more space on the belt than should be required for this thin light.

Next step will likely be to see what K&D can do.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2004, 02:34:08 PM »
Quick question for anyone ....... I have used my E1e quite a bit ... tho hardly ''logged'' time.  They say 90 mins from one cell for duration.

Now - I know alkaline batt's have a sharp ''knee'' to the discharge curve - meaning they fall off quick once failing.

These Lithium dealies ..... I haven't gone hunting for info but wondered what to expect ..... sharp fall off?  Or is it gradual so you get some warning.?

I am so mean it ain't true and so hate to trash a bettery until it is done .. OTOH - I want my light ready and good at all times, without changing cells too prematurely and thus being wasteful.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 02:36:43 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.