Author Topic: Xmas PDA  Dell Axim X51V  (Read 9405 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Xmas PDA  Dell Axim X51V
« on: January 03, 2006, 11:57:53 PM »
I gave my wife a new PDA for Christmas.

It was almost a full time job getting it ready for service.

Any other forum members use a PDA?

Bill

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Xmas PDA  Dell Axim X51V
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 12:38:37 AM »
Heck yeah -- I use a Blackberry 7100t.  I love it.  Although being in touch all the time can be a bad thing, it gives me the power to be away from the office more without feeling like I am missing anything.  It still has an "off" switch when needed.  ;)
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 02:47:28 AM »
I just received the new 7100i two weeks ago and my IT folks are still fooling around with getting the email to work on it.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 12:35:12 PM »
My daughter is getting a Blackberry, too, but I read where they might have to withdraw service because of a legal problem.  That situation must have ended.

Anyway, unfortunately, my wife just got a new Nextel with all the accessories, so Blackberry is now out of the picture.  I should have been better informed and got her the Blackberry instead of a more conventional phone.

The new Dell hardware came with the latest version Windows Mobile 5.0, and it is like being on the "bleeding edge".  It had to receive a soft reset many times during the day.

I finally solved the problem by removing the 1 Gb SD memory card, and stopping all programs that were running when the device is put aside for the night.  Otherwise, the battery will be drained overnight.  Even though you quit a program, it may still be running in memory.  I think Quit should really mean Quit.

Sadly, I don't understand how a layman could possible circumvent all the problems.  I've been in IT since 1969 and get a little disgusted when the directions are unclear and incomplete, and the features do not function correctly.

I wish that software and hardware could be developed with more attention to quality control and with zero defects in mind. It only takes a few extra moments to do it right and the development costs should not be affected.

Instead, the software companies are filled with maintenance people who fix problems reported by customers.  The "bugs" are now expected and tolerated by suffering customers.

In addition, we now have to talk with support personnel in another country where the language differences are overwhelming.  

bigyimmy, I was just getting ready to offer helping you get the email working, but noticed that your IT staff is working on the problem.  I'm sure they will quickly solve the riddle.  Sometimes, you almost have to be a trained genius to be successful with these gadgets.

Bill

« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 12:44:03 PM by Michigunner »

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 12:38:49 PM »
The RIM/Blackberry legal battle is still on-going, but I don't believe that the outcome is going to affect service.  I think the outcome of that case determines who much royalties RIM is going to have to pay to keep the Blackberries running.  It wouldn't make financial sense to either side to shut them down.

Let me tell you, if my RIM Blackberry gets shut down, I am jumping ship to a Treo and whoever owns that technology can keep it.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 12:46:50 PM »
Duane, does your Blackberry use Microsoft windows, in some form or another?

Bill

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 12:48:34 PM »
No.  It uses a different operating system altogether -- like the Palm Operating System.  It will open MS Word and MS Excel documents, but it is not Windows based.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 03:18:18 PM »
Bill,
Thanks for the offer any how.  Yesterday I noticed the internet services showed up on the phone.  I think all that is left is to enter the user email address and password before a flood of automatic programming takes place over Nextel's airways.  

I resisted for over a year before getting a Blackberry.  The older style was larger and I felt I could get by without it.  Now it seems I have to have it to function well at my job.  If I don't like it I may just use a separate mobile phone for phone calls and just run email and web services on the Blackberry.  Blackberry is not the best device when using it as a phone.

Respectfully,
Jim
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 03:19:31 PM by bigyimmy »

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 03:32:30 PM »
Thanks, Jim.

On my wife's Nextel, I seem to remember giving it her complete email address and her account password.  For example, username@comcast.net.

Also, it may ask for your POP3 information.  For example, at Comcast we say pop3.comcast.net and smtp.comcast.net.  One is the incoming mail server, and the other is the outgoing mail server.  I think that's right.

Bill

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 04:46:01 PM »
I have the email address information, but I need a password which was sent to my work email address.  I can retreive it through with my remote access token and my home computer which is kind of pain (little one) since I left my tablet PC at work.  I'll be going into my office in a few hours and will check it all out then.  Hopefully this will be the end of connecting this gadget up.
Respectfully,
Jim
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 04:48:03 PM by bigyimmy »

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 09:46:50 PM »
I use an HP Ipaq 3715 for work.  It has a camera and I added the Garmin GPS 10 unit and the Garmin Que software for GPS use in the car.

My HP Ipaq 4700 is dedicated to the airplane -- also used with a Garmin GPS 10, and XM Weather receiver along with the Anywhere Map/Weather aviation GPS mapping and weather information system.  I'll not fly cross country without it.  Having real-time NEXRAD radar in-flight is a huge safety item.  Approach plates are digitized into the PDA (eliminating the need for paper plates in the cockpit).  The system will even place the aircraft position directly on the approach plate!

I find myself using the PDA-based system more in-flight than the panel mounted Garmin GNS 430 (the "legal" GPS for instrument flight rules).

Technology is wonderful!
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 11:59:49 PM »
flyandscuba,

I would have fun sitting on the ground playing with all that stuff.

It is amazing how aviation has changed so much.  When Flying magazine comes each month, I enjoy seeing the all glass panels.  VOR sounds like something out of the past.

I hope your PDAs don't require frequent ROM updates.  

I tried to put a screen protector on mine tonight.  Boy, was that a joke.  It attracted every bit of dust in the area, and ended up looking pretty bad.  I've decided not to use it.

Thanks for the info about your airplane.  I enjoyed reading it.

Bill

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 09:57:52 AM »
Thanks Michi,

There's not much the lil' ol' 172 can't do these days...except maybe cruise faster than 115 kts.  But she'll take me anywhere I want to go in a day.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/flyandscuba/n20483cockpit062005.jpg
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 10:01:18 AM by flyandscuba »
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 05:53:44 PM »
Fly:

Reading your posts, I get this urge to start flying again.  (If only I could fly an airplane as well as I can drive a sports car or sail a sloop. . . .     :'(  )
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 07:14:12 PM »
You probably could if you practiced it; a friend of mine
just bought an A-36 so I am looking forward to strapping
on that little beauty--I also intend to carry the pup along.