Author Topic: Caught the Bug  (Read 9533 times)

Offline garymass

• Expert
Caught the Bug
« on: January 10, 2008, 06:15:48 PM »
Ok I am new to this site and have only put 50rds through my R-9s since I bought it but I think I have caught the gun bug again. I presently only own a few but I am like a kid in a candy store when I go to the gun store now. I want to buy a good competition shooting gun then I want a nice 1911, and it just keeps going but I want to be able to use all of them. Right now I own a Glock 19 which was my service gun plus a SW640, Walther PPKS(soon to go), Taurus PT145 and of course the R-9S. It sounds like most guys own some type of 1911 and there are so many types which confuses the crap out of me and after that I am not really sure but I do not want to buy another gun a regret it. Any help and advise is greatly appreciated.

Gary

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Caught the Bug
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 06:49:16 PM »
Gary:

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on acquiring your R9. You now own what I consider to be the ultimate in pocket pistols.

As for the 1911, I was handed my first 1911 courtesy of a benevolent U. S. Government in 1963, and it was "love at first shot."  I've been a die-hard disciple of the doctrine according to Colonel Cooper ever since.

Rather than attempt to suggest any single one of the many current manufacturers of 1911-type pistols, I would simply urge you to start reading everything you can lay your hands on regarding the available options, decide how you will be using the pistol, and then make your move.  I personally started with a plain-Jane, government-issue Colt and then had it transformed by Clark Custom Guns. By the time my project was completed (and it took over a year), I had poured more than $3,000 into it -- but I had the 1911 of my dreams -- a laser-equipped "tack driver" that is at the top of the list of my prized possessions.

Before (the only enhancements at the time being Sambar Stag grips and Bo-Mar adjustable sights):

After:

Good hunting!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 08:58:14 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 06:54:39 PM »
Is that a "Tripp" magazine, Richard?

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 08:40:16 PM »
Tracker:

The two magazines in the lower photograph are Wilson Combat 7-rounders.  Before I start ordering a set of those spectacular new Tripp magazines for the .45 ACP 1911s, I need send Virgil the six additional HK P7 PSP magazines I've just finished scrounging on the various gun boards and have him plate them in matte Cobra Chrome. (Did I ever mention that I was known as a pretty fair "Dog Robber" back in my Army days?  ;) )

Much of what I enjoy about working with and adding to my collection of firearms is the planning of various projects.  8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 10:13:14 PM »
No, but I was a pretty fair "Cumshaw Artist and Midnight
Requisitioner" in the Navy. One does what he has to do;
it is easier to apologize than to ask permission. I loved your
story about sailing school in Germany.  

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 10:28:52 PM »
Gary,
Sorry for the slight thread drift; there are as many 1911s
as one's budget will allow but here are two of my favorites:
Colt Series 70 Gold Cup--they are still available and the
Springfield Mil-Spec 1911. The Mil-Spec is made in Brazil
but is very high quality--all forged, superb slide to frame fit,
etc., and a good barrel but it is really superb in the hands of
a master gunsmith.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 10:57:36 PM »

Gary,

I urge you to take your time on this endevor.  I also urge you to avoid the 1911 and all it's varients.  That is all old school.  If you are into nostalgia than a 1911 is for you.  If you desire the very best in handgun design then avoid the 1911 as if it were the plague.

My opinions only,  Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline garymass

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 11:12:43 PM »
Thanks guys

I want to use the gun to become the best shooter possible and spend alot of time at the range but still be able to either carry it or for it to be similar to my other ones.

Offline Novanglus

• Molon labe!
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 11:38:20 PM »
The indisputably great Col. Jeff Cooper was the father of modern pistol craft - his techniques are universally employed by elite real world pistol shooters (eg: military & LE).  The Guru considered the 1911 to be the ultimate combat handgun.  Certainly there are contrary opinions, but few from folks of equivalent achievement and expertise.  So, I don't offer my own opinion, but suggest that the Colonel's is worthy of respect.  

FMI: http://www.frfrogspad.com/#Cooper
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 11:39:53 PM by Novanglus »
The price of liberty is eternal vigilance.  Patrick Henry

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 11:45:19 PM »
Mike,

It sounded like Gary was looking for positive suggestions.
You have said you don't like Glocks, a modern and very
reliable design, because they are ugly. Why are there so
many current variants of the 1911 if they are antique history?

What do you recommend and why?

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 06:04:36 PM »
Well guys,

To try and make things short.  Most of us are never going be engaged in "combat" with our personal guns.  Combat and LE has different requirements than us ordinary folk.

The Glock is a fine pistol.  I personally just don't like the way that particular gun looks or feels in my hand.

Well, Colonel Cooper considered the 1911 to be the best gun for LE did he.  So WHY is it that LE's don't carry single actions anymore?  Cooper was a man of his times.  And he was almost as opinionated as I am.

As far al all the varients of the 1911 that are out there.  It is all nostalgia.  People have seen to many movies and TV shows.  You all have probably heard the saying, "repeat a lie enough times and people will start believing it".  This applies to the mistaken mentality that the 1911 is "the best handgun ever made".

I have tried to explain my views.  I hope this helps.

Gary,

Here is a positive suggestion, acquire a CZ PO1.  If you ever have to do any "combat" this gun will serve you well.  It also is a pleasing plinker/range gun.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 06:41:31 PM »
What a country where we have the freedom to discuss such
issues; I particularly like a Sig 228, German made, of course.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 07:25:03 PM »
YAVOOL!

The CZ guns are made in the Check Republic.  A lot of them speak German too.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 07:38:26 PM »
They make some decent airplanes, too.

http://www.evektoramerica.com/cobra.htm

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 07:42:49 PM »
Here's some more grist for the mill . . . .

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/st_0212_lapd/

8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"