Author Topic: The Civil War Battle of Fair Garden in Tennessee  (Read 10427 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
The Civil War Battle of Fair Garden in Tennessee
« on: May 09, 2011, 10:43:39 AM »
The following is a summary by the National Park Service of the Civil War Battle of Fair Garden in Tennessee:

[size=10]Fair Garden
Other Names: None
Campaign: Operations about Dandridge, Tennessee (1863-64)
Date(s): January 27, 1864
Principal Commanders: Brig. Gen. Samuel D. Sturgis and Col. Edward M. McCook [US]; Maj. Gen. William T. Martin [CS]
Forces Engaged: Cavalry Division, Cavalry Corps, Army of the Ohio [US]; Cavalry Division, Department of East Tennessee [CS]
Estimated Casualties: 265 total (US 100; CS 165)

Description: Since the Battle of Dandridge, the Union cavalry had moved to the south side of the French Broad River and had disrupted Confederate foraging and captured numerous wagons in that area. On January 25, 1864, Lt. Gen. James Longstreet, commander of the Department of East Tennessee, instructed his subordinates to do something to curtail Union operations south of the French Broad. On the 26th, Brig. Gen. Samuel D. Sturgis, having had various brushes with Confederate cavalry, deployed his troopers to watch the area fords. Two Confederate cavalry brigades and artillery advanced from Fair Garden in the afternoon but were checked about four miles from Sevierville. Other Confederates attacked a Union cavalry brigade, though, at Fowler’s on Flat Creek, and drove it about two miles. No further fighting occurred that day. Union scouts observed that the Confederates had concentrated on the Fair Garden Road, so Sturgis ordered an attack there in the morning. In a heavy fog, Col. Edward M. McCook’s Union division attacked and drove back Maj. Gen. William T. Martin’s Confederates until about 4:00 pm. At that time, McCook’s men charged with sabers and routed the Rebels. Sturgis set out in pursuit on the 28th, and captured and killed more of the routed Rebels. The Union forces, however, observed three of Longstreet’s infantry brigades crossing the river. Realizing his weariness from fighting, lack of supplies, ammunition, and weapons and the overwhelming strength of the enemy, Sturgis decided to evacuate the area. But, before leaving, Sturgis determined to attack Brig. Gen. Frank C. Armstrong’s Confederate cavalry division which he had learned was about three or four miles away, on the river.  Unbeknownst to the attacking Federals, Armstrong had strongly fortified his position and three infantry regiments had arrived to reinforce him. Thus, the Union troops suffered severe casualties in the attack. The battle continued until dark, when the Federals retired from the area. The Federals had won the big battle but the fatigue of continual fighting and lack of supplies and ammunition forced them to withdraw.

Result(s): Union victory

CWSAC Reference #: TN029

Preservation Priority: II.3 (Class C) [/size]

I have a reason for posting this bit of Civil War history. Last Saturday, while my grandson was working on the grounds at Critter Creek, he proudly presented me with this cannon ball unearthed after having lain undisturbed for the past 147 years. It was probably fired from a light artillery piece during one of the skirmishes that took place south of the French Broad River during what Civil War historians call "The Battle of Fair Garden":

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:45:26 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: The Civil War Battle of Fair Garden in Tenness
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 10:55:30 AM »
That cannon ball is a great piece of history, Richard.  Thanks for sharing.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 06:41:30 PM »
Richard,
    Very cool indeed, a great find.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 03:13:25 PM »
Sures looks well preserved.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 04:45:56 PM »
Sures looks well preserved.

Reinz:

With all of the clay dirt and some surface rust removed, that cannon ball is indeed extraordinarily well preserved for its age. It has only minor pitting and no apparent deformation. That might indicate that it failed to hit any hard target -- or that it simply fell from a wagon or was left behind following a skirmish.

The general area in which the artifact was found is known by locals as "Rocky Flats." The ball had been nestled among a cluster of river rocks covered by a large flat stone and years of accumulated compost a few feet from what is now known as "Rocky Flats Road." Over the years, work crews maintaining the road would uncover stones and throw them off to the side. The protection afforded by the stones and clay dirt apparently served to keep this artifact relatively dry over the years.

If we hadn't embarked on our annual springtime grounds cleanup and tree-planting ritual at Critter Creek, the ball would probably never have been found. It makes me think I should get a quality metal detector and go "prospecting" on the property to see what else might be under the surface.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 10:00:56 PM »
Very intereesting on how it was preserved.

A metal detector might be be fun at that.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 09:55:07 PM »
In my spare time (such as it has been with the deadline for an appellate brief rapidy approaching), I have been researching the cannon ball found at Critter Creek two weeks ago. I think I'm beginning to close in on its identification.

The ball (or "shot") is 2.60" in diameter and weighs 3 pounds. Based on my research, a ball of that size and weight would probably have been a grape shot for a 24-pound howitzer. Up to nine or so of these iron balls would be packed into a canister. When the canister was fired, the balls (or grape shot) would separate much as do the pellets from a shotgun shell -- and with the obviously devastating effect.

http://www.civilwarartillery.com/

The 24-pounder was a bronze smoothbore included in the 1841 US artillery series. By 1862 it was still in Federal service, although less commonly, but was still being used by Confederate artillery units.

My research also indicates that spherical grape-shot balls manufactured by the Confederate States usually had a visible equatorial mold seam. The ball found at Critter Creek has no such seam, which could indicate that it might originally have been made for the Federal forces. It could, however, have been in the caisson of a Federal artillery piece captured by Confederate forces.

Here is a photograph of a 24-pound howitzer with a civilian (possibly some bureaucrat or arms salesman), standing alongside it. A number of canisters are shown stacked behind the howitzer's carriage.

The relatively good condition of the ball found at Critter Creek might indicate that it was contained in a canister which was never fired but left behind by a howitzer crew that had set up a firing position but had to leave in a hurry. That might also indicate that another 8 balls are somewhere on the property together with some remains of the canister.

I really must get myself a good metal detector.   8)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 10:14:12 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 10:13:19 PM »
Interesting research, Richard.  I think a good metal detector is in your future; think of all the other things you may find as well.  Good luck in your search.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 02:06:18 AM »
I've heard about grape shot in the cannons, but never really fully understood it until now.

Thank you Richard for the good explanation and Good Luck with your deadline.

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 07:51:25 AM »
Fascinating!  Thanks, Richard.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 12:00:59 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen, for your interest and for indulging me in the recitation of my efforts to unravel the enigma of this artifact. Since the ball (or "shot") bears no markings, identifying it with precision is difficult. As Melton and Pawl wrote in their copyrighted work, CIVIL WAR ARTILLERY, referenced in my previous post:

[size=10]During the American Civil War more varieties of artillery projectiles and cannon were used than in any other time in military history. The outbreak of hostilities in 1861, found inventors on both sides searching for the perfect blend of sabot, shell body, and fuze to create the artillery projectile that would give the military advantage to their respective cannoneers. This seemingly unending search for that elusive, perfect projectile continued even after the end of the Civil War.

As a result of these seemingly endless innovations, the student of Civil War artillery today faces a fascinating, and potentially confusing, maze of hundreds of battlefield tested artillery projectiles, cannon, and shells.[/size]

http://civilwarartillery.com/

Another factor complicating the task of positively identifying the particular artillery piece and the unit(s) which may have used it is that the armies of both sides in the Civil War began the conflict with much of the same equipment employed in the earlier war with Mexico. Also, units victorious in any particular battle would routinely collect and add to their own inventory any servicable materiel left in the field by the defeated forces.

In any event, all of this gives an old history major a new project to pursue.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 08:22:12 PM »
Richard very interesting, Thanks for the history lesson, look forward to hearing about future findings.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 08:42:50 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 10:46:04 PM »
Find some more old stuff, Richard; seems a lot of us like history.  Keep up the good finds.    :)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 08:05:22 AM »
Again, I learned more interesting facts.

Thank you professor.