Author Topic: Side arm for Africa  (Read 9970 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Side arm for Africa
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2005, 02:27:50 PM »
An Alaskan would look oh so nice in my safe!  

If it and the SRH would breed, I might finish up with a nice mid length compromize too ;D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2005, 03:43:17 PM »
You guys are really talking about guns that you want to carry a lot and shoot a little!! :o

Nice to have for "insurance" though!!  ;D

Aglifter,can a "civilian" get a "license" to bring handguns into Africa? I know that each country is different, but have heard and read about weird restrictions!!
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2005, 04:01:03 PM »
I can't answer for every country, I know a few guys who took super redhawks to S. Africa w. them, so it must be possible there -- I do know that South Africa has many restrictions on gun ownership -- I'm actually heading to Zambia -- my buddy just said not to worry about it, but I don't know if that's because he "knows someone" who will make it simple to get permission, or if it's just not a problem.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2005, 10:36:49 PM »
Aglifter:

I posted some general comments on travel in Africa on another thread.  To experience any one of the many worlds of Africa can be a life-changing experience.  I spent four years there, and am a better man because of it -- scars and all.

If you are going to Zambia and plan to do some hunting, you might want to retain one of the professional guide organizations to help you "cut a path through the bush."  I know you have friends there, but the established companies which are in the business of helping their clients "expedite" the importation of firearms for hunting can save you a lot of grief . . . and possibly save your firearms as well.  There are several such organizations in Zambia, most of which can be found on the Internet.

Good luck, and good hunting!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 10:40:51 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline dr16

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2005, 10:49:03 PM »
Tha November/December issue of American Handgunner arrived today. John Taffen has an article on a number of big bore handguns starting on page 30. From 44 to 500. Good article by someone who knows where of he speaks

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2005, 10:37:54 PM »
What sidearm(s) would you guys suggest for this scenario?
[url]
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b271/sluggo24/050708LSlionslikeshade.jpg[url]

As I heard it, the pilot dropped off medical supplies at a hospital out in the bush.  After grabbing some lunch, he headed back to his plane and was greeted by this pride of lions.  
I think he said, "Right, I think I'll go back to the canteen for another iced tea or two, or three...."

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2005, 08:43:55 PM »
Now that is what I call an African experience!  I think I would have gone back to the bar, ordered a bottle of the best whiskey in the house, and made plans to spend the night . . . .  

In Swahili, the expression is, "Hakuna matata" [translated as, "No Worries," or "Stuff happens"].   8)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 09:08:48 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2005, 09:48:28 PM »
Steve, when I was a small boy, we were encouraged to catch birds by putting salt on their tail.

I would process the lion tails with salt, and then move them  to a safer area, so flight operations could continue.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 09:51:53 PM by Michigunner »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2005, 10:05:47 PM »
But, Bill, we've got to check out the bar first!

[Lord, I hope that Herself doesn't read this.]    

;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2005, 10:13:53 PM »
Richard, I would be delighted to join you in the bar, and forget about the lion business.

Bill

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2005, 11:18:41 PM »
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...