Author Topic: Has anyone compared the Sig SAS 229 vs. 239  (Read 8218 times)

Offline Arizona

• Expert
Has anyone compared the Sig SAS 229 vs. 239
« on: September 08, 2006, 09:29:30 PM »
I am a Glock person and have been considering the SAS due to it being "rounded" for concealed carry.  No experience with Sig Arms.

Any input appreciated.

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
Re: Has anyone compared the Sig SAS 229 vs. 239
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 10:24:38 PM »
I have the 229 SAS and my wife has the 239 with the DAK trigger.  The SAS trigger is a hair lighter than hers, but both are nice and smooth.  The 239 is much slimmer and lighter.  Both are good shooters and have been 100% reliable so far, with about 1000 rounds through each.  With my K&D eagle defender and Wilderness 5 stitch I have no problem carrying the 229.  My wife has yet to carry her 239, but I would say it is comparable in size to a Glock 19, only thinner.  

Offline Arizona

• Expert
RRe: Has anyone compared the Sig SAS 229 vs. 239
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 12:20:48 PM »
Rocnerd,

Do you carry the 229 because of the higher capacity?  Why not carry the 239?

I might think it is comforting to know that you have 5 additional bullets.

Offline erh

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 02:54:32 PM »
It's the MAIN cover story of the "Guns Magazine, 2007 Annual - Buyers guide..."  (Published by FMG Publications.)  8 Pages worth on that exact subject.  (Volume #64)  The Phone # to possibly get an issue if you can't find it is: (Circulation Dept.) San Diego, CA.: (858) 605-0250.  I like the DA/ SA standards myself though...   ;D
-E!-
"The Hill", GA.

Offline Arizona

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 07:12:59 PM »
Eric,

What do you remember about it?

Offline erh

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 11:32:50 AM »
Arizona -
I do remember that they really liked the trigger's on both, but as I remember they opted for the P229 over the P239 due to their nearly identical girth 'cause of the SAS grips..; and since they were both "Fat" already they figured they 'Mite's well have the extra ammo capacity...

I recently bought a set of Rosewoods for my P239, .40S&W & have to agree; I won't use them either, they are just Too "Thick" for my hand(s); 'mite as well carry a "Double Stacker..!"  (IMHO)  
I do also however, have a preferance for the SIG Conventional DA/ SA decocker guns anyway so far as the initial question goes.
Just my .02 cents worth.  I hope this helps a 'Lil..!  Take it easy...                          ;D

Oh yah; "Shameless Plug..!:

- "Anyone looking for a real nice set of Rosewood grips for a P239, .40S&W..?"              ::)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 11:35:40 AM by erh »
-E!-
"The Hill", GA.

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
Re: RRe: Has anyone compared the Sig SAS 229 vs. 2
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 09:03:03 AM »
Rocnerd,

Do you carry the 229 because of the higher capacity?  Why not carry the 239?

I might think it is comforting to know that you have 5 additional bullets.

I carry the 229 since the 239 is my wife's gun and it is a 9mm.  I like the .40 and the additional rounds is nice, though one less than my Glock 23.  

Offline Arizona

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 11:44:22 AM »
Rocnerd,

The reason I am considering this gun is because I have because I like the idea of each and every pull of the trigger "feels" the same.

Does the trigger pull and grouping somewhat the same to the Glock?  

Also, when carrying in holster, does it "print" the same under concealment carry?

Thanks!

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 04:08:36 PM »
Rocnerd,

The reason I am considering this gun is because I have because I like the idea of each and every pull of the trigger "feels" the same.

Does the trigger pull and grouping somewhat the same to the Glock?  

Also, when carrying in holster, does it "print" the same under concealment carry?

Thanks!
The trigger pull is a lot longer than the glock, but nicer.  You can do a short reset, that results in a harder pull if you want or let it out all the way for a nice easy pull.  As far as accuracy they both shoot just fine.  I have shot controlled pairs with the holes touching and two inches apart with both guns.  I don't know if one is inherently more accurate than the other.  For me they shoot about the same.  Recoil is softer on the 229 due to the heft of the gun.  It feels much heavier, don't know the actual weights, than the glock.  The 229 is also a bit bigger than the Glock 23.  I carried the glock in an IWB kydex from sidearmor mostly and the Sig in a pancake style leather OWB.  Hard to compare the two carry methods.  I am 6' and slim and can conceal with the 229 with just a dark colored T-shirt with minimal printing.  With a comparable holster for the glock I would feel about the same.  
I like my glock a little better, but went to the Sig due to my habit of riding the slide, which resulted in several FTF.  I haven't had anything like that with the Sig due to the larger frame area where my thumb rests.  I still ride the slide lock, but am working on it.  Definitely go handle both because the difference in heft and feel in you hand is significant.  

Offline Arizona

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 04:25:30 PM »

Do you feel that the action of simply point and shoot hit the mark in the same vicinity?  I have heard the back of the pistol grip may cause the shooters from glocks to shoot low when switching to different pistols.  I found this true with 1911 and have not shot a sig.  I know the custom wood grip may change this.  My local store does not have one and would be a special order.  Trying to get info first.

Do both shoot the same i.e. eyes closed a shoot at the target?  Or do you find the aim is different.  

Thanks for the feedback.

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 08:45:29 AM »
Both pistols are DAO, so yeah point and shoot.  I didn't notice any low shooting upon switching from the glock.  If anything I was hitting high initially.  That I attributed to the sites on the Sig.  The 229 SAS comes with a night site front site and their standard rear site.  I am used to three dot sites and so installed full night sites on my Sig.  So, now I have Meprolight night sites on both the Glock and Sig and the site picture is the same.
I haven't shot them side by side in a while now, but there are distinct differences.  The Glock is much lower in the hand than the Sig.  This took some getting used to.  The feel of the grip (angle, width, wood vs. plastic) took some getting used to.  The trigger pull also took some getting used to.  
The glock sits low in the hand, has a mushy short trigger pull, and a sharp snap upon recoil.  The Sig sits higher in the hand, has a long smooth trigger pull, and a more muted recoil.  Go pick up any Sig and glock and dry fire each a couple times to see what I mean.  If you can find a Sig with the DAK trigger use that.  The SAS DAK is a little smoother than the regular DAK but you'll get the gist.  Good luck.

Offline Arizona

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 03:42:50 PM »
Thanks for the information.  

I will only look at the 229 due to similar size and handles and then barrel will be inside a holster.  

Frank

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 11:34:26 PM »
Sig SAS 229 DAK for winter carry ...

... and Sig SAS 239 DAK for summer carry.

Offline Arizona

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 12:14:10 AM »
Amazing to see them side by side.

What if you only bought one.

Which one?

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 10:27:40 PM »
If I only got one, it would have been the 229 because I have other compact models the size of the 239 (specifically a Smith & Wesson 4040PD and a 4013TSW) but nothing that is a mid-size .40S&W like the 229.

If I didn't have other compact models, then I would have gone for the 239 because it's easier to conceal -- effective for both Winter & Summer.