Author Topic: Boberg range trip  (Read 6995 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Boberg range trip
« on: February 18, 2012, 01:50:36 PM »
Took the Boberg S and Seecamp .32 to the range today.  R9 still at Rohrbaugh having the stripped grip screw removed, so couldn't shoot it.  Shot the Seecamp first...it's pretty new to me and fires way high because, with no front sight, I'm holding the front up so I can see the barrel.  It works best one handed point and shoot.  The patched areas on the target shown were shot from about 8 yards, and show that I'd better be darned close to use this one effectively.

The Boberg is sweet.  I shot 147 gr. Golden Sabres first, shown on the target pictured quick aim/fire, again from 8 yards.  Then put a medly of 115 Silvertips, 115 Lawman, 147 Gold Dots, 115 Hornady Critical Defense, PMC JHP Bronze 115 through it with absolutely NO problems of any sort.  Tried Black Hills subsonice 115 FMJ and had a failure to feed on #6 of 8, so I put those away.

It is a appreciably bulkier on the hip than the R9, but still conceals well.  Shoots and aims incredibly well and doesn't seem to be very fastidious about ammo if decent brands are used...prefers hollow points and is known to be most happy with Gold Dots.  It is much easier to shoot accurately than the R9 which in size and rapid fire accuracy falls between the Seecamp and the Boberg.  Boberg has very little recoil...I wear a leather shooter's glove with the two smaller pistols, but had no need with the Bb.  Patches on target are from Seecamp.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Boberg range trip
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 01:54:14 PM »
POSTSCRIPT ON PREVIOUS:  the mag holds 7 rounds.  The first 7 rounds fired were at center mass and the last a rapid shot at the head.  Worked out pretty good!  I like this pistol which will likely be my primary carry rather than the .45, depending on clothing, etc.  R9 remains backup which IMO it is best suited for, but will be primary if concealment issues require.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Heber_Guy

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 07:11:30 PM »
backupr9,
I agree with everything said. That little extra bulkiness of the Boberg does make a difference because I find myself carrying the R9 most often. The Boberg is extremely accurate and a low recoil dream to shoot. My arthritic hands cringe at the thought of shooting the R9 but can shoot the Boberg as long as I want. I like both pistols and use both and would not hesitate to recommend either.

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 08:41:29 PM »
Backup9,

Great range report. I can't wait for the return of your R9 for a side by side report. Is the Boberg much thicker than the R9? Was that group in the C/M also at 8 yards?

Robar233

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 09:06:53 PM »
Robar, hoping to have the R9S back sometime next week...Karl is trying to get the stripped grip screw out and get it back to me.  When I sent it back for work on the firing pin retainer, they sent it back with Loctite white on the screws and I stripped one of the 4 trying to get my VZ's back on it.  Karl was kind enough to have me send it back on his tab for repair.

In the range target picture the patched holes were at 7 to 8 yards using my Seecamp .32 one handed rapid fire point and shoot, which about what it is for.  It is a true pocket belly gun and would be best used as a final backup at 2 to 4 yards. 

The marked holes were all from the Boberg from 8 yards modified Weaver stance, rapid aimed fire mostly point and shoot off the front sight with focus on the target.  It feels like, and is darned near as good as the Kimber CDPII .45, although the latter will, I believe, be better at longer ranges.  The Boberg tends to fire a little low, and that compensated for my use of the front sight which held a little above the plane of the rear sight when I was shooting fairly rapidly.  Arne will send a taller front sight if needed I hear, but I like this the way it is. 

This is truly one impressive pistol.  It is thicker than the R9 and a little bulkier on the hip, but still an easy carry and holds 8 rounds total.  It is NOT a pocket pistol for me.  The R9 is about as big as I will go in the pocket...when traveling and using the R9 as primary carry, I have it in a Nemesis in the side pocket of the auto or when out of the car briefly at a rest stop, in my front pocket.  I use a leather OWB at 4 o'clock most of the time otherwise, either a Del Fatti belt slide or a Meco Billy, which I actually prefer if I'm not trying to show off.

When the R9 gets back, I'll try to post comparison pictures side and rear for thickness.
John
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 08:25:29 AM »
Thanks for the update, backup!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 07:40:17 PM »
It looks like everyone wants one.  Here is the second one this week to bring $1499.00 with a Buy It Now.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=274673358

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 07:53:50 PM »
WOW!  I've checked several times this week and found nothing.  I'm not hitting it just right.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 07:38:41 AM »

They do not last long with the $1499.00 price.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 09:19:56 AM »
I want a Boberg, but i am willing to wait my turn on the list.
I would not pay $1,499.00 for one.
I want one, don't really need one! ;D

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 09:52:11 AM »
Am glad I already have one.  Fantastic shooter.  I really don't need any guns I have, according to my wife.    ;D 

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 10:52:57 AM »
I want a Boberg, but i am willing to wait my turn on the list.
I would not pay $1,499.00 for one.
I want one, don't really need one! ;D

I agree.  I am about 200 away on Boberg's list and I have no idea how long that is but for $500 I can wait.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 10:58:25 AM »
200 away, sounds like about 2.5 months out.  Definitely worth the wait.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 11:25:07 AM »
kj

I just went to Boberg's website to see if the top name had changed (which it hadn't) and I see the pre-order price is now $995.  When did that change?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 11:33:17 AM »
kj

I just went to Boberg's website to see if the top name had changed (which it hadn't) and I see the pre-order price is now $995.  When did that change?

Probably about 2 months ago, I'm thinking, when I saw that; maybe a little less.