Author Topic: Boberg for sale on Seecamp forum  (Read 20125 times)

Offline Laserlips

• Expert
Re: Boberg for sale on Seecamp forum
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 09:14:30 AM »

Comparing the R9 to the XR9-S [ sounds similar, doesn't it? ] is like comparing chalk and cheese. They both have their place and to each his own. This is, after all, called the "Rohrbaugh Forum", not the Karl/Eric/Arne forum.

tracker:   You are indeed correct in that this is the "Rohrbaugh Forum", but this section is dedicated to "other guns", so I would suggest this is the proper place, IN the Rohrbaugh Forum, to be discussing "other guns"..

I believe the Boberg qualifies as "other guns" so guess we are all right where we need to be, discussing what we need to discuss.. 

My comments about the owners of Rohrbaugh and how they have treated Arne and his XR9-S, was meant to be complimentary, not negative in any way.

Best Wishes,

Jesse
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:24:25 PM by Laserlips »
"Laus Deo"

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"

Offline Laserlips

• Expert
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 09:19:43 AM »
I have no issue with the quality of the Boberg and wish Arne nothing but the best, it's just not an appealing design to me. I have held a boberg and it feels good in the hand but it's just not for me.

yankee:

There ya go...  :)   You have held a Boberg, and just did not care for it.   Personal choice in action.... At least you have made your decision based on actually having held the XR9-S rather than just assuming from having seen photos and because it's a homely little bugger it's not a quality firearm..

Fair enough..

Best Wishes,

Jesse
"Laus Deo"

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 09:25:22 AM »
In the marketing game, fashion wins over function 90% of the time.

Offline Laserlips

• Expert
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 09:38:45 AM »
In the marketing game, fashion wins over function 90% of the time.

MRC:

I believe you are entirely correct...  And what a sad commentary on the values of 90% of the American buying public.... 

Best Wishes,

Jesse
"Laus Deo"

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 10:57:27 AM »
Just a coincidence, but I just got an e-mail from Boberg that they were ready to process my order.  Should have two coming in 2 to 8 weeks.

Before anyone asks I got on the preorder list 9-19-2011.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 10:59:30 AM »
If there were no option that was better or equal I would own a Boberg.  I wouldn't carry a Jimenez just because I thought it was a great looking gun.
  If Boberg ever comes out with the long version it may be a consideration because it is more pleasing to the eye. ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Laserlips

• Expert
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 11:27:46 AM »
If there were no option that was better or equal I would own a Boberg.  I wouldn't carry a Jimenez just because I thought it was a great looking gun.
  If Boberg ever comes out with the long version it may be a consideration because it is more pleasing to the eye. ;D

yankee:

Respectfully, I don't pick my self defense firearm choices because of how they look...   "Pleasing to the eye" is certainly a plus, but performance trumps beauty (in a firearm) every time.

Just from the early owner reviews it seems the XR9-S "performs" quite well, despite being "less than beautiful" in appearance.

If truth be told I'm guessing the Rohrbaugh, Kimber Solo, AND the Boberg offer pretty much only one thing over several other quality 9MM pistols, and that is they are tiny in comparison..

I have a Ruger LC9 that @ $365.00 has turned out to be an excellent 9MM cc pistol..  It is so good it has sent my previous favorite HK P2000sk to the gun safe..  It is accurate, absolutely reliable, light, thin, easy to cc.. 

Do I expect my Boberg XR9-S to be twice the gun of the Ruger LC9? 

Nope.

But the XR9-S will be smaller than the Ruger, as would the Rohbaugh, and that's the attraction.

Presently I carry my LWS380 in a rear pocket holster almost 100% of the time.  I have a very nice Ruger LCP (w/Innovative Arms external sight upgrade & CT Laser).  The LCP is light years easier to shoot than my beloved Seecamp...  With the external sights and laser it is obviously easier to shoot VERY ACCURATELY as well.

But, it's just enough larger than my LWS380 that most of the time I cannot carry it, easily concealed, in my back pocket.

So, I have a pistol that is easier to shoot, easier to shoot more accurately than my Seecamp, cost well less than 50% of what the LWS380 cost,  but the tiny size of the Seecamp trump carry for me, over the LCP most of the time.

It's all about size.

I'm going to leave this conversation to you after this post, as I don't mean to come off as confrontational or looking for an argument.  I was just making conversation...

You love your Rohrbaugh, you don't care for the Boberg, and that's certainly your business because what is "right for you", is right for you...

Again, no offense, and best wishes, :)

Jesse

"Laus Deo"

Offline Corvette

• Expert
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2012, 01:40:45 PM »

yankee:

Respectfully, I don't pick my self defense firearm choices because of how they look...   "Pleasing to the eye" is certainly a plus, but performance trumps beauty (in a firearm) every time.

Jesse

100 true.
I've never thought of a handgun as a fashion statement.

My wife buys a dress because it's "pleasing to her eye".
The criteria I use when buying a self defense handgun is slightly more involved. 

« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 01:44:50 PM by Corvette »

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2012, 03:00:12 PM »
 Much of what affects the appearance of the Boberg is that it is of a "Bullpup" Design which necessitates the need to move the Barrel back. Causing the odd Look when compared to "Normal designs".  It is a matter of form following function. I understand about not being pleasing to the eye. I am not a big fan of it either, I much prefer the more classic look of a 1911 design. And I think Glocks are butt ugly as well.  I ordered a Boberg out of curiosity. And should be about a month out from it's arrival.  Am looking forward to playing with the little sucker.  But as many of us understand, If one finds a gun that not only functions as advertised but is pleasing to the eye it is a thing that sometimes cannot be described.

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2012, 03:12:45 PM »
No offense taken.
   What I was trying to convey was all thing being equal or nearly so given the choice of a truly nice looking pocket carry gun and a less than nice looking one I will take the one that is pleasing to my eye.
  I don't believe it has anything to do with a fashion statement, Function / reliability, weight and then looks are the order of my carry selections.

I'll leave this post for people who have a genuine interest in the Boberg. :)
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2012, 10:02:49 PM »
As ugly as the Glock is, it has grown on me; this one doesn't stand a chance. It looks like a Trabant driving backwards down the road.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:24:14 PM by tracker »