Author Topic: Best bang for the buck?  (Read 8592 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Best bang for the buck?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 10:21:52 PM »

Glock

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 10:26:48 PM »

Glock

I'll second the Glock!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 07:14:06 PM »
I'm starting to see some sub $400 prices on used Springfield XD's, not the XDm's of course.  They are a terrific value at that price as well and my be a better ergonomic fit for those who do not have Glock sized hands.   Still, I know that all of us being on this forum aren't opposed to the 'mouse gun' and the times I've spent shooting the Ruger LCP has been nothing short of impressive thus far.  I do not personally own one, but have pointed a few friends and family members in that direction after a few shooting opportunities with one.  They are a great gun for the price and have not given me or anyone I know trouble thus far.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 07:39:43 PM »

Also, I looked closely at a Beretta Storm Compact 9mm today and was very impressed with their typical quality and ruggedness. This one has a reduced grip size that had a tactile feel to it with a proportional balance that felt quite natural. Like many others, there are replaceable back straps to adjust the size.

$499

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 08:44:27 PM »
I've read some good things on the Beretta Storm pistols.  Seem like a good value.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline jayson

• Sharpshooter
  • happy shooting!
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 10:03:07 PM »
I've found myself carrying my bodyguard revolver more and more recently,  it is fantastic in an ankle holster or iwb.  Bought mine new for 435 so you can probably find a used one for well under 400.  Once sighted in the factory laser is spot on.
Jayson D

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 07:12:44 AM »

Also, I looked closely at a Beretta Storm Compact 9mm today and was very impressed with their typical quality and ruggedness. This one has a reduced grip size that had a tactile feel to it with a proportional balance that felt quite natural. Like many others, there are replaceable back straps to adjust the size.

$499

It is funny, for some reason I forget all about Beretta firearms. This company has been making guns for a longer time period then any one else.
Back a few years ago when I had students every other week I was always asked the question what is a good gun, I never came up with Beretta for an answer.
I have read great things about the Storm, and I think that pistol has me taking another look at Berettas.

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 08:57:11 AM »
The new Beretta Nano seems to be another pretty good option for inexpensive CCW. I've seen them below $380 recently.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 09:15:24 PM »
When sailing bareboat charters in island countries having those ridiculous laws forbidding civilians to possess firearms, I have found that devices of this type provide comfort to have on hand not only for signaling distress but also for use if needed for "predator-repellant" purposes. They not only are readily available at the local marina stores but also provide good close-up-and-personal "bang for the buck" -- particularly with phosphorus flares. Hell, they're better than a galley or dive knife should uninvited footsteps on deck be heard overhead in the middle of the night when anchored in some secluded foreign cove. And island customs/immigration officials don't give them a second glance when conducting on-board inspections when you arrive in port.

http://search.defender.com/?expression=fLARE+GUN&x=5&y=5

And when you return your boat to the charter company you just give the rig to the dock master as a gratuity.   8)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 02:38:18 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"