Author Topic: Ruger SP101 holster/custom holster questions  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Ruger SP101 holster/custom holster questions
« on: August 05, 2006, 04:48:48 AM »
Well, I put the little custom beast  in my IWB Galco holster I bought for my 642  (all my pants are now too big, due to running weight off in the kitchen, so there's lots of room now...law school's bad -- belt's now on the smallest hole, with the Ruger inside my pants.)  It would work well, but it doesn't really fit.  Any suggestions for who to use -- I like the tuckable clip design that the Galco has -- even holds the gun in place clipped into the back of my overalls (I'm not visible while cooking, and they're more comfortable than pants or whites.)  Galco doesn't make a holster for the 3" model.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
Re: Ruger SP101 holster/custom holster questions
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 02:46:43 PM »
Lately I carry my Glock 26 IWB a lot.

I have come to prefer Kydex holsters for their combination of thinness and rigidity.  They retain the gun as well as any overly-thick reinforced leather holster, with the same material thickness as soft, unreinforced leather holsters that need a retention strap to hold the gun.  My favorite is Sidearmor with a 5 degree cant.  I have also had good luck with Blade-Tech, and know many people who have had good luck with Comp-Tac.

The best clip holsters I have personally seen are made by FIST.  They make a design with frontal reinforcement only, so you get the advantage of one-handed reholstering without excessive thickness.  Their clip design is effective, and I doubt the holster would ever be drawn along with the gun.  I recommend their leather, because I think their Kydex might be a bit too thin.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 03:48:14 PM »
Aglifter,
You might want to consider joining Bayou Rifle Club in Houston
while you are here. Unlimited shooting for $145 a yr. and
a first class private operation. You can't study all the time.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 04:44:22 AM »
Already a member -- unfortunately, I'm up in SC now, and no decent gun clubs to my knowledge for 85 miles.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.