Author Topic: Is it OK for ammo to look like this?  (Read 5835 times)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Is it OK for ammo to look like this?
« on: September 28, 2012, 10:27:25 PM »
I bought a few boxes of  Winchester Ranger "T" 147gr 9mm - RA9T.

When I inspected the rounds I noticiced that they had a lot of crud around the primers.  Most of the stores have been out of the Ranger T since early spring so i figured my boxes must be fairly new from the factory.

Someone on another forum told me that the particles in their are "tunmbling media" ???

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Is it OK for ammo to look like this?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 02:02:24 AM »
Sounds plausible.

Or - your cat is trying to tell you something. ;D
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 08:10:18 AM »
Those particles are not just sitting in there, it's like they're glued there.  I can't dislodge them with a soft toothbrush.

They can only be dislodged with a nylon bristle brush, and even then sometimes there has been some of that grit that stays in there.  In those cases I've taken a dental pick to flick out the grains.

I've probably gone through hundreds of boxes of ammo over the decades and the cartridges have always been clean and free of crud.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 08:58:43 AM »
Write the factory?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 10:48:32 AM »
"What's that on your rifle, soldier?

"Scum, Sir!"
_________

"Scum" is unacceptable on either firearm or ammunition. What is happening to the company's quality control?
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 02:12:14 PM »
Well I called Winchester and I talked to a guy named Art.

Art told me that the particles are ground up corn cobs. The corn cob meal is used for a final cleaning, and yes it sticks to the laquer (which obviously isn't completely dry when they clean the cartridges in ground corn cob meal).

Art told me the cob meal doesn't hurt the function of the cartridge in any way. Still, it bugged me so badly, I cleaned the cob meal out anyway and put a bit of yellow nail polish around the rim.

Before and After:

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 05:36:51 PM »
Corn cob meal, by any name, is "crud," which is equivalent to "scum," none of which belong on a firearm or its ammunition.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 06:20:57 PM »
Winchester ammo of the past didn't look like this stuff, which wouldn't even make a good reload candidate. I would think that the Olin Corporation would have higher standards. Federal stands out, among a few others, as having very high, exacting quality control measures.

However, I will pass this one to my farmer who probably doesn't realize the vast potential value of his residual corn cobs.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 09:08:03 PM by tracker »