Author Topic: Lubrication of the R9  (Read 17994 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Lubrication of the R9
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2004, 01:39:56 PM »
Ahah .. sounds good Doc, thx ..... . have to add that too to FAQ Site
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 01:42:36 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Lubrication of the R9
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2004, 02:09:37 PM »
Best price and free shipping for Super Lube that I've found:
http://www.aaaindustrialsupply.com/

>>That IS a great deal for superlube...!  Now if we could just come up with an easy source of Mobile One Synthetic Oil 0-30...  For some reason the two auto shops I tried don't have it...  I told Eric he sound buy an extra quart or two and sell it in 5oz bottles for $5.  For non-car folks like me it would be worth it.

That all said...in my most RECENT conversation with Eric about lubes he said if you can't find the Superlube grease or Mobile oil - just go ahead and use any quality gun grease and oil on hand, so go figure.  And going back to earlier conversations about this on the forum - folks who chimmed in saying the same thing were right about just using similar lubes of same qualities...but at the same time remember to clean and lube every 50-80 shots and be generous in lubrication, as shown in the pics...because the R9 is a special machine requiring special care...TW<<

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2004, 06:09:33 PM »
Those are excellent prices Doc!
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2004, 11:46:43 PM »
I just recieved a reply to my question about the listed shelf life of superlube.
It is as follows:

"Thanks for your interest in Super LubeŽ Grease. I'm pleased to hear that it is recommended by Rohrbaugh for use on their guns.

The reason we post a 24 month shelf life on our products, is to prevent a distributor from returning overstocked merchandise for credit. The grease does not go bad. It does not turn rancid, dry out, or degrade in any way. I have used grease from tubes that were filled over ten years ago without problems. The main concern is to prevent contamination from storage in open containers.

Super LubeŽ is available in Ace, Tru Value, Motion Industries, Sid Tool (MSC), and if you still have trouble finding it, try Radio Shack. They carry it under the Archer brand as "Lube Gel" in a 3 oz tube.

Thanks again,

Bill Reilly
Operations Manager
Synco Chemical Corporation"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2004, 12:02:21 AM »
Doc - thx for posting that - it does quite simply explain this ''shelf life'' deal, and should alay any concerns regarding the true longevity of the product. I have added that also to the lube page on the site.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 12:02:52 AM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
octordunRe: Lubrication of the R9
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2004, 11:48:46 AM »
"Super LubeŽ is available in Ace, Tru Value, Motion Industries, Sid Tool (MSC), and if you still have trouble finding it, try Radio Shack. They carry it under the Archer brand as "Lube Gel" in a 3 oz tube. " from Doctordun
  ++++++++++++++
A friend found a couple of tubes of this, and brought one by for me, that's a friend !    I opened it, took a look and a smell,  and I like it.!!
RJ=

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2004, 12:50:47 PM »
I bought the 14oz tub and use a flux brush to apply. Based on how much it took to do one gun, I figure I have about 2 lifetimes of grease. Since it is food grade and grease, I've found a few more uses around the house. Good Stuff.

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2004, 04:40:37 PM »
I recently bought some SuperLube, and as I had run out of TW-25B, decided to use some on my SIG P220ST.

I had read previously that one bad thing about SuperLube is that it doesn't do well in cold weather situations.

Well, as luck would have it I had my P220ST in my gun bag in my trunk, where it sat for a good 8 hours.  When I got to the range, the pistol was quite cold (it was around 42 degrees that day, not terribly cold).

I'll tell you, it was obvious that the SuperLube had thickened - it was measureably harder to retract the slide on my P220ST!  When I let it go to chamber the first round, the slide moved as if it were in slow motion.  It did chamber without assistance.  

The first shot or two I could feel that the slide was cycling slower, but all worked well.  After that, the SuperLube must have warmed up as things were back to normal.  I had no malfunctions, but I'd be seriously concerned about using this grease in cold-weather situations.

Obviously not a concern for most R9's, as they'll be in a nice warm pocket.  This is a concern, though, if you have to leave your pistol in a freezing cold car for any length of time when entering no-carry zones.

I may just shelve the SuperLube until summer.  I've ordered more TW-25B...
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
, It is make Re: Lubrication of the R9
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2004, 09:04:58 PM »
"Super LubeŽ is available in Ace, Tru Value, Motion Industries, Sid Tool (MSC), and if you still have trouble finding it, try Radio Shack. They carry it under the Archer brand as "Lube Gel" in a 3 oz tube."
Bill Reilly
Operations Manager
Synco Chemical Corporation"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My first experience with Super Lube.
In my junk, I find two 3/8" Drill chucks that where brand new,when I last saw them, but upon looking at them today, they where a mass of rust. So I put them on a drill so I could spin them, and clean them with fine sandpaper. After they where rust free again,  I decided to coat them with Super Lube !! Well, now I under stand why on the tube it said, "Exceptional Adhesion! "   With the drill spinning, I touch the grease to spread it and it nearly wrapped my finger around the chuck.  That stuff is tacky as hell.
I have to agree with FJC in the above post.  I will not use it on my gun..   Just maybe Incursion was on to something.  I will continue with "RIG."  
To clarify, this was with the Radio Shack stuff..
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 09:07:15 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2004, 11:46:43 AM »
After reading the last two posts, I double checked the superlube website. It said the operating range for the grease is -45 to 450degrees. Since I had just greased up my R9, I decided an experiment was in order. I placed it in my freezer overnight and brought it down to zero. This morning I removed it from the freezer and manually cycled the complete magazine of ammo thru it and did not notice any difference from when it's 80degs from my pocket. I didn't shoot it, because the range is an hour away and I thought it might raise some eye brows if I remove my gun from an ice chest. I can only surmise that the grease I'm using is different or I don't have it on as thick as the previous poster's. I have the 14oz tub that is depicted in the factory pictures.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2004, 12:07:49 PM »
You may be correct, as well as others here.  I will find *Super Lube*, labeled as *such*, and compare.  I have been wrong before.. ;)

......or so my my Wife says.. ::)
RJ=

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2004, 01:19:16 AM »
The grease is a lot thicker and less "slick" than oils, because of it's viscosity. I believe that viscosity is what Rohrbaugh is wanting in order for it to remain in place on the rails. I would like our moderator, if he so chooses, to perhaps discuss this thread with the creators of our toys and hopefully bring some light to this discussion.
I tried the "touch something spinning with grease on your finger test"(my dremel) and there was some resistance that you don't get with just oil.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2004, 08:25:11 AM »
DoctorDun
Try the test[?] with something of a larger diameter, say 1" .  The drag is strong.. :o
RJ=

Offline Ihue

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2004, 11:42:39 PM »
superlube? I got mine from http://www.aaaindustrialsupply.com/
as suggested in this forum. On the web page one of the first superlubes is the food grade grease. Farther down the page there is a "high temp, High pressure superlube"
"An NLGI #2 Grease With An Extremely High Concentration Of PTFE And A Temperature Range From -30F to +475F. Price shown for 6cc syringe."
This is the one I got. Which one is recommended?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 11:43:27 PM by Ihue »

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2004, 12:14:18 AM »
I don't know. I got the 400gram jar at the top of the page. I'm using it on my R9 and my Glock. Both seem to be working fine. When I cycle the slides, I don't notice any difference from when I used other lubricants.
I know that somewhere out there, we have a lubricant genius, just waiting for the right time to enlighten us with their wisdom.