Author Topic: Questions about Kel-Tec?  (Read 11965 times)

Offline Fud

• Master
Questions about Kel-Tec?
« on: April 14, 2005, 10:20:02 PM »
Does anybody know if the Kel-Tec models are similar to the Rohrbaugh with a concealed but external hammer or like the Kahr with an internal striker.

Also, do they have a repeat striker capabillity like the Rohrbaugh's or does the striker have to be re-primed like on the Kahrs.

I ask this here because I tried to register over at the Kel-Tec forum and was told that my e-mail had been pre-banned to prevent me from joining. Found that rather interesting -- that I was banned prior to even joining ... that's the first I ever heard of someone being banned before doing anything.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 10:21:11 PM by Fud »

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
Re: Questions about Kel-Tec?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 10:50:27 PM »
Fudster,

With respect to your problems with registering at KTOG, that is a bit puzzling.  You may want to email the moderator at support@webmastersguide.com and ask him what the issue might be.  

I had a similar problem at GlockTalk initially and asked the moderator/administrator about it.  I never got a response from them, so I just used a different user name and email address than originally attempting to register with, and got right in.
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 10:58:22 PM »
Sorry. Should have clarified that it was the Kel-Tec forums over at http://ktrange.com/.  Didn't even know about KTOG. Let me go see if they will take me. Thanks.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 04:09:43 PM »
Fud,

KTRange is very particular about the e-mail address you use to register.   If you use anything that is remotely "anonymous" in nature, they won't allow it.  The software may be rejecting your domain name on your e-mail address.

The little Kel-Tecs (P-32 and P-3AT) have external concealed hammers.  They are not a true DAO, and like the Kahr or Glock, the slide has to be cycled to reset the trigger.  There is no repeat strike capability.

I can't recall if the bigger P-11 is the same way... For some reason I am thinking it is a true DAO with repeat strike capability.  Someone here will know if you can't get in at KTOG either!  ;)
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 11:59:16 PM »
Thanks for the insight about the e-mail. Since we've moved often (two years ago I was living in FL, four years before that, I was living in NJ, etc.) and since most times a local provider can offer cheaper ISP services, I've been using an e-mail service not related to my ISP in order to avoid uninterrupted e-mail services.

Oh, and thanks for the info on the Kel-Tec. I had the opportunity to hold a couple of them tonight. They felt like I was holding a "toy" in my hand -- nothing like the Rohrbaugh. I was able to see the frame slightly bend by squeezing hard.

Need to think about this some more.

PS: Saw a nice PPK in .380 on sale for under five bills with a really nice & improved trigger -- may just get that instead.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Questions about Kel-Tec?
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 11:09:01 PM »
>>Based on everything you've said on this thread, the assumption you are looking for a .380, and that you are in somewhat of a hurry to decide / move on it...  if I were you I'd go with the nice PPK.  Yes.  Yes, that is what I would do, alright - the PPK with the improved trigger, as in...MYHOBBIT...TW<<

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 11:40:33 PM »
New addition to the family ...

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Questions about Kel-Tec?
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 12:06:46 AM »
>>VERY nice, Fudster...is oh so sweet...!  Myhobbit, Myhobbit...??...TW<<

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 09:30:17 AM »
>>Based on everything you've said on this thread, the assumption you are looking for a .380, and that you are in somewhat of a hurry to decide / move on it... <<

Not really in a rush to buy it but I was looking to buy something and when I saw that PPK which I've been wanting for YEARS, I just gave in and got one.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 09:32:50 AM by Fud »

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member &amp; Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 09:25:46 PM »
Nice Fud, How ya doin with that Colt P9? Mine is a gem. I'm waitin for a Colt Pony pocket lite, should be here in afew days.
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 10:40:56 PM »
Now that the weather is turning warmer, the P9 is quickly becoming my regular carry gun. The R9 is reserved for DEEP carry.

Sure would like to see Colt make a comeback and re-introduce the P9 or maybe have Rohrbaugh come out with a beef'ed up version of the R9 that's the size of the P9 or the PPK.

Hint, Hint. Are you listening Rohrbaugh?

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Questions about Kel-Tec?
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 01:14:21 AM »

Sure would like to see... ...Rohrbaugh come out with a beef'ed up version of the R9 that's the size of the P9 or the PPK.

Hint, Hint. Are you listening Rohrbaugh?

>>Fudster...  I think it's fair to say the guys back at the factory are on top of things, if not downright waaaaaaay ahead of you...lol...!...TW<<

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 02:34:59 AM »
Don't tease me like that  :P What have you heard? what's on the drawing board and when can we expect to see it?

PS: Are they rumors off of other boards or something confirmed?

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2005, 02:53:46 AM »
Wow - that's too much to handle - the thought of one Rohrbaugh on the hip and the R9 as a BUG!!!
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2005, 06:52:28 PM »
I rather think the planned .380 will be next - but still some ways down the line.  That's all I know.

Carry of two Rohrbaughs - now there's a thought! :P
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.