Author Topic: Kel-Tec  (Read 5519 times)

Offline glazier

Kel-Tec
« on: May 07, 2005, 12:03:49 AM »
Well, now that I've become curious about Kahr, I might as well vent my spleen about the Kel-Tec's I own.  Both of mine (P32's) have been a great disappointment to me! Flat & Functional was what I wanted.  Flacid and Failures was what I got.  I figured the first one was just a fluke... the second one I bought, well, shame on me!  They come in a neat package but they're all dressed up with no where to go!   :D
Measure Twice...CUT Once!

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
Re: Kel-Tec
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 12:49:27 AM »
Kel-Tec's general reputation is for spotty QC but good customer service.  Have you spoken with the factory and/or sent the guns back for them to look at?

If you do keep them, I strongly recommend replacing the 9 lb. recoil springs with 11 lb. Wolff springs.  When your gun is loaded with 7+1, the 9 lb. springs don't have enough strength to dislodge the rim of the top cartridge in the clip from the groove in the cartridge below it.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 11:37:16 PM »
All of my KTs have been basically flawless from the box -- P-32, P-3AT, P-3AT/.32NAA, P-11, P-40, P-357, Sub2K, & SU-16.  All I've done is polish some feedramps and added some accessories.

Sorry you seem to have a couple with problems.  Go visit www.ktrange.com -- there is much information on doing an "F&B" to make these little pocket pistols run smoothly.

I usually carry the P-3AT/.32NAA daily as a pocket gun in an RJ Hedley holster -- I do trust it with my life.  Also, the gunsmiths at KT are extremely responsive to customer problems/issues.  I've been over to the factory several times and have been impressed with all whom I've met over there.
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline TexasCajun

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 09:57:51 PM »
Ditto to what F&S said.  I have all calibers and they are all quite reliable.  I have not yet shot my 32naa conversion as it's a fairly new aquisition and I had to order some ammo.  Kel-tecs are easy to tweak and the customer service is superb.  

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 08:27:54 AM »
I usually carry the P-3AT/.32NAA daily as a pocket gun in an RJ Hedley holster -- I do trust it with my life.   // Fly

My  choice, exactly .    ;D
RJ=

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 10:33:10 PM »
RJ - curiosity - I am assuming you have done the conversion yes?  Are you liking it?
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 09:05:31 PM »
I love it,   I think it is a great caliber..    I had 4 of these conversions,  sold two of them.  

I carry one daily and have stash of Cor-Bon..

edited to add..   One is in Hard chrome, other is Parkerized
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 09:29:56 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 10:56:06 PM »
I hear the beautiful music, but it doesn't yet seem to be in my key.  While I have occasionally been able to anticipate and catch the "curl of the wave"  (e.g., NAA Guardian .380 and Rohrbaugh 9mm), I have pretty much been a traditionalist for most of my life.  By way of example, for at least 30 years, I considered the Walther PPK to be the ultimate pocket pistol. The Walther PPK is, and always will be a classic, but I no longer consider it to be the ultimate pocket pistol.

Things have changed, and I am still trying to learn.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 04:23:13 PM »
Richard
Are you familiar with the KT /32 NAA conversion?   I can't "heard" you from here, so I will clarify.  KT unofficially made about 30 special barrels to chamber 32 NAA.  They were sold to the KT employees that wanted them.,  for evaluation.  :)  In the months past, the Barrels have found their way into hands of outsiders..
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 06:33:18 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 07:48:26 AM »
RJ:

I had heard something about the Kel-Tec project.  Do you have photographs of the two?

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 08:13:24 AM »
It looks as the others, only I had "32 NAA' engraved on the bbl. for positive, fast Identity.     I also had to have some nice leather for the "Little Champ'

« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 08:21:41 AM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005, 08:33:06 AM »
Beautiful, RJ!  The engraving is a nice touch, indeed.  And the photograph of the holster reminds me that it is time for me to return the prototype of the newly designed Limited Edition for monograming or a monogrammed replacement.  It is truly one superb holster design!  I'll try to get to the Post Office later today.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005, 10:52:15 AM »
Richard

Don't you dare send that back to me,  I still haven't got your holster on the bench yet, but this does serve as a reminder to me..,  **Richard is my friend,   make his holster !!.  **

Yes, I see the Avator  ;D
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 10:53:00 AM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2005, 08:43:18 PM »
It's pretty accurate too...  Not bad for 25 yards.

I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...