Author Topic: New Project SP-101  (Read 19164 times)

Offline TW

• Grand Master
New Project SP-101
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2005, 01:38:58 AM »
>>OK...OK...  Thanks to Duane for putting me on to a guy with a relitively little used but much loved  SP 101 in 9mm with a 2 1/2" barrel...!!!!  After a short banter I just sent off a money order and FFL papers to this fellow.  Hopefully it will all make it there in time for the FFL dealer to ship by the end of the week - cause next week the dealer is off Turkey hunting for a week...AHHHHHHHHHH.

I am sooooo excited to say the least!  I've looked at a couple other nice Rugers this past week but decided to hold out for the gun I really wanted - the 9mm, which has been stuck in my mind with drool all over it from the first time Duane posted pics of his on this forum...!  To have found one, at a reasonable price no less, is Cool Beans to the MAX...!

Breathe...breathe...  Once I get the gun I will shoot it a while before considering a custom job...breathe...TW<<

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: New Project SP-101
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2005, 01:43:37 AM »
Darn it TW - if'n I didn't have mine in .357 already I too would be on look out for a 9mm - it is ever more appealing.  Oh well - I'll bask in the enjoyment of your gun and Duane's!!!

I suddenly decided (oh dear me) that I have another rifle I ''need'' - a Ruger #1 in .45-70.  So any new handguns will have to go on back burner anyways! ::) :P

Damn - I have no self discipline at all! ;D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2005, 10:45:32 AM »
That is great, TW.  You will find the 9mm moonclips are great to use.

A word of advice, skip entirely on the Ruger style factory clips.  Worthless for serious defensive use.  Order some traditional styled clips from TK Moonclips.

My 9mm SP has a high polish stainless finish.  Does yours?  Or is it the satin/brushed finish?
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2005, 11:34:50 AM »
TW, I am happy that you got your new toy, a 9mm SP101!! Enjoy and have fun with the update.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline TW

• Grand Master
New Project SP-101
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2005, 03:33:29 AM »
>>Thanks guys for sharing in my excitement.  Duane...what is the difference between Ruger factory clips and TK moonclips...?  

Now if that gun would only arrive...  Took FIVE days for my check to arrive, and yeah...I stupidly sent it US mail...dunno why...it's probably all the drugs, ya know...?...TW<<

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2005, 02:10:30 PM »
The Ruger factory clips have a solid ring around the perimeter and the rounds load into half circles from the inside.  They are not very secure at all and don't work well in most moonclip carriers.  Drop one and you are sure to have 3-5 rounds pop out.

The ones from TK are the standard "star" shape and load from the outside.  The are very secure and work great.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline TW

• Grand Master
New Project SP-101
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2005, 03:26:54 PM »
>>Well, Duane...  Even before reading your inciteful explanation about moonclips - I had a pack of ten clips ordered and on the way...!  I suspect the clips will arrive before the gun...kinda like the experience of ordering/waiting for an R9 - lol...!

Now...before I get going on my 9mm project - how goes it with your Gemini .357...?  Arrives this coming Monday...yes...?  Weren't you going to find some special grips for it...?  You psyched...?...!...??  
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 03:28:06 PM by TW »

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2005, 04:53:03 PM »
Yep -- Monday!  It was shipped on Friday and is actually sitting at the Fed Ex facility in Tampa today, waiting for Monday afternoon delivery!

It will have a set of Badger Grips -- installed by Gemini as well.

I have a top secret kydex holster project in the works too... Can't say anything about that yet.  :-X
Duane (DDGator)

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2005, 04:05:21 PM »
Duane, Its now Monday, D day. Have you got your new Gemini SP101 yet? How does it look and shoot? I bet you are a happy camper today!!   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2005, 04:07:54 PM »
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRR!  I was tracking the package on FedEx.com waiting patiently for its arrival at home (I am at work) and it showed up as "Customer not home!"  My wife left the house!  

I am going to try and get it from the Fed Ex office later tonight.  Pics later tonight if I can track it down...  :-[
Duane (DDGator)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2005, 06:05:51 PM »
O.k.  My wife made good on the deal and picked it up at Fed EX.  It will be there when I get home late tonight.  8)

I will try and post some pics.

I should mention that I will actually have two pieces of eye candy to show you.  My gun with the standard Gemini package (minus the porting) and a "loaner" Gemini gun with the full-house conversion including hybraporting and, I believe, hard chroming.  :o  Marc has loaned me a second gun for an article I am working on for Concealed Carry Magazine.

Stay tuned...
Duane (DDGator)

Offline TW

• Grand Master
New Project SP-101
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2005, 06:21:09 PM »
"O.k.  My wife made good on the deal and picked it up at Fed EX.  It will be there when I get home late tonight."

>>Duane...I guess it's fair to say then that you should keep the wife, afterall...TW<<  

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2005, 06:23:52 PM »
Yeah -- she is a keeper.  No doubt about it.  ;D
Duane (DDGator)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2005, 08:32:40 PM »
TW!!! - LOL -  
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2005, 11:17:28 PM »
Here we go....

Sorry for the pic quality -- taken inside with poor lighting, but you get the point!

Here are the two.  The one with the walnut(?) grips is mine.  The one with the rosewood grips is my Gemini Customs loaner with hybraporting and hard chroming.

Here is the loaner gun by itself:

Here is my gun in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II:

Duane (DDGator)