Author Topic: New Project SP-101  (Read 19323 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: New Project SP-101
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2005, 11:21:03 PM »
Let me say that Marc's work is VERY impressive.  The bead blasting on my gun is very nice.  The hammer and trigger have been high polished.  The action job is fantastic -- a 9# pull, although Marc included a 10# spring if I wanted to change it.  He also installed the Meprolight front night sight, which I like a lot.

The hard chroming on the loaner is very nice too - but pricey.  The look is very similar, but apparently more durable.  The hybraporting looks impressive.  I look forward to shooting it to see how it works.

So.... what do you think?
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline TW

• Grand Master
New Project SP-101
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2005, 11:40:40 PM »
>>INCREDIBLE...both of them...speechless.  Myhobbit, myhobbit...??  Speech back...

Can you get three fingers on that handle...??.?  Looks like you might be able to fit two fingers in the first cut from trigger guard.  WOWZERS...!

Do you know if it is possible to get a recessed hammer for SA, like on the S&W Bodyguards...?...advantages and disadvantages...??

I would be tempted to pass on the stainless and chrome...maybe go for Gemini Blueing, or rather, blacking.  Anyone have an example of this from Gemini...?...pics...?

You one lucky fellow, Gator-man.  I wish I could find copy of the Concealed Carry magazine locally so I could see your article on these guns.  Duane - you know anything about this or are they strictly subscription only...?

I have always loved the build, lines, and rounded edges of the SP 101...much more so than a S&W, actually.  Gemini have turned these Rugers into a deadly art form.  Did I mention...myhobbit...?...TW<<
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 11:42:34 PM by TW »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2005, 11:50:08 PM »
TW - http://www.concealedcarrymag.com/ ( I think) - subscription only but you can register there.  Tim the Editor has said, newstand sales not practicable - due to volume needed and that is also ''sale or return'' - just not economically viable.

Duane ------- what can I say.  I think ''exquisite'' comes to mind ... I am sure you are totally thrilled.  Now - I have to go get a cloth - and mop up some of this drool that is inhibiting the operation of some keys! :P ;D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline logical

• Expert
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2005, 12:25:24 AM »
You can no doubt guess I like it.  I'll be interested to see what you think of the porting.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
New Project SP-101
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2005, 12:56:59 AM »
>>Thanks for the info on the magazine, Chris.  I went ahead and signed up for a one year subscription.  I'm surprised Duane doesn't have the folks at Concealed Carry signed up here with a banner ad...!  Maybe they can't afford to market their mag on the street, but certainly they would be wise enough to realize the potential for picking up customer base from a forum like Rohrbaugh...?...!...or (this) one would think.  Duane...  Tell those boys at CC Mag to anti up and come join the fun here on the Rohrbaugh forum - lol...!...TW<<

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2005, 01:10:36 AM »
Thinking on it TW - Tim Schmidt the owner/editor posts on combatcarry.com - I will try and remember to mention this forum to him - in case he feels a small banner might be useful.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2005, 10:33:55 AM »
As for the gun -- No way you will get three fingers on that grip -- its two fingers with one tucked under the grip -- which is not unlike most of my small guns.

For for CCM -- they have newsstand circulation in their home state and are working on a national deal.  The problem is, as Chris notes, it is not a money-making proposition.  The hope would be though that increased visibility would increase subscription sales.  I have discussed CCM other places on the forum -- its a great magazine run by great people with their hearts in the right place.  Tell everyone you know!  8)

The article I am doing for CCM with these pieces is not a straight up review of the SP -- which has already been done by another author for an upcoming issue.  My article is a bit different -- but its still a few months out and I don't want to give too much away yet.  CCM has always granted me permission to post copies of my articles as I write them, so I should be able to post it here once published.

A banner ad for CCM is a great idea.  I support those guys 100%, so I don't want their money.  I am going to contact Tim about giving him some banner ad space.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2005, 02:51:09 AM »
A banner ad for CCM is a great idea.  I support those guys 100%, so I don't want their money.  I am going to contact Tim about giving him some banner ad space.

>>That's real nice of you, Gator...!  I should think both of our organizations should compliment one another well.  I'm certainly looking to learning from them.  And I'm glad I sent in for a one year subscription even if you can post your articles here for free...as you say = a worthy cause...TW<<

Offline Bob79

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2005, 05:02:13 PM »
I am very interested in how much the porting decreases the recoil.  Seems as though you should be able to let us know too because you have one of each.  Could you please post that here?  Or do we have to wait till its in Concealed Carry Mag (I have a subsctiption)?  I'm most concerned in how it affects recoil w/ .357 mag ammo.  

Thanks.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2005, 05:10:20 PM »
Bob,

Sounds like an interesting idea for an article -- having two guns with identical set-ups to compare the effects of porting.  ;)  I will let you know what I think.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline logical

• Expert
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2005, 07:02:30 PM »
Is it really recoil or more muzzle flip that it helps...I always thought it was strictly keeping the muzzle down to speed follow-up shots....but then again I've never shot a compensated gun.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2005, 09:21:43 PM »
IMO the recoil with a particular gun, barrel length and ammo combination - recoild is a constant - Newton and all that.

Muzzle flip tho yeah - a well ported piece should show some small decrease in flip, tho personally with snubs I tend to think the benefit is rather marginal - considering the possibility (probablity!) - of more potential for flash - depending on propellant.

I reckon porting/compensation works better and better the longer the barrel - longer moment if you will.  So most effective on rifles.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2005, 04:17:54 PM »
Very nice looking gun Duane-Congrats!

dick
Welcome home

Offline logical

• Expert
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2005, 12:51:39 AM »
Any impressions of ported vs non-ported yet?

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2005, 11:20:29 AM »
Yes... some.  Ultimately this will be the subjected to an article for CCM.

The porting is much more effective that I would have thought.  Muzzle rise much reduced, even with hot .357 loads.  There is certainly recoil (can't change Newton's laws), but there the potentially painful wrist snap is almost entirely eliminated.  

The porting just paint WORKS.  The question is whether it is worth the trade-offs.  In some situations, the answer will be "yes" I am sure.

I am also trying to get some chrono results to compare as well.
Duane (DDGator)