Author Topic: Grip tape - pics  (Read 13593 times)

Offline sslater

• Master
Re: Grip tape - pics
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2005, 11:08:32 AM »
TW:  The tape I used was made by a Canadian ouitfit, RCR International.  Brand name is "PermaStik Safety Treads".  
This is the tape Michigunner has been raving about.  Guess I was lucky to find a package at the local K-Mart because they don't have any more.   :(
My installation is beginning to look a little ragged; the stuff is wearing off at the bottom edges after a few months in service.  But it works well, stays on thru detail cleaning.  
This PermaStik tape is quite a bit thinner & more conformable than the 3M tape you've been trying.  I've used the 3M tape on flat surfaces.  It works great on stairs.  Maybe you got an old package and the adhesive is losing it's grip??

Steve

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2005, 02:05:35 PM »
Thx for that info Steve - I will over time keep my eyes peeled for other types - on balance I would prefer the finer grit but have to say, even with this coarse grit, the improvement in feel is quite profound.

TW - ahh - see what you mean.  So it is in effect then the loss of adhesion of what must be double sided tape, and its bond (or lack of!) to the grit tape element.  I guess only other option might be to try and find some fresh double sided tape and try that.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Grip tape - pics
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2005, 03:14:09 PM »
>>Steve & Chris...

Thanks for the helpful input.  I'll go look for a K-Mart today.  As much as I like the effect of the slip on Hogue Rubber Grip on my R-9s...it would be nice to have the thinner profile provided by the tape on one of my guns...until I can figure out which look & feel I like best.

Just out of curiosity...  Given that the 3M tape is not product dated and looks and feels fine in hand - just how do you find and determine "fresh" tape...?  I tried tasting it but all I got were bloody lips **grins**...TW<<

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2005, 03:56:34 PM »
[size=13]I tried tasting it but all I got were bloody lips **grins**[/size]

;D ;D ;D - Haha - sorry TW - you have to have a cat's tongue to manage that with no bleeding  ;)

The tape I bought was not dated so I guess products of this type are assumed to have a long shelf life.  OK I imagine if not exposed to temp extremes but would expect that too high a storage temp could artificially degrade adhesive.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2005, 05:34:50 PM »
That dated remark got me to thinking.  I'll bet there is a date code somewhere on the original packaging.  But who keeps the package from a roll of tape?  Not me.
Tape products definitely have a shelf life.  I'll bet everyone reading this thread has thrown away masking tape, "scotch tape", etc., because you couldn't peel it off the roll or it wouldn't stick to anything.
An obvious date code, like on milk cartons, would cost the stores and the manufacturers money.  They'd have to rotate and purge stock.
I think I'll have my research assistant (my B.W. Phyllis) do a web search on date codes.  She's great at that stuff especially if I tell there's a good sale somewhere.  8)

Steve

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Grip tape - pics
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2005, 03:21:29 AM »
That dated remark got me to thinking.  I'll bet there is a date code somewhere on the original packaging.  But who keeps the package from a roll of tape?  Not me.
Tape products definitely have a shelf life.  I'll bet everyone reading this thread has thrown away masking tape, "scotch tape", etc., because you couldn't peel it off the roll or it wouldn't stick to anything.
An obvious date code, like on milk cartons, would cost the stores and the manufacturers money.  They'd have to rotate and purge stock.
I think I'll have my research assistant (my B.W. Phyllis) do a web search on date codes.  She's great at that stuff especially if I tell there's a good sale somewhere.  8)

Steve

>>In my situation I just bought a one foot strip off a roll so there is nothing for me to look at...unless I go back to the hardware store...which I will for grins...TW<<

Offline LeonB570

Re: Grip tape - picsAubuchon Item # 618591.
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2005, 03:55:45 AM »
Hi Everybody,

I located the Perma Stik Black Tread Tape on the web at Aubuchon Hardware, with link :
http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/
Click on "Tapes", then on "Anti-Slip & Safety Tape".  Toward the bottom of the gallery of pictures of tapes is the "Perma Stik Anti-Skid Tread Black" for $8.49 plus shipping.  I ordered a 20 ft.roll, Aubuchon Item # 618591 .
Now, I'll see if it helps make me miss less often and lets the R9s run smoother.

Best Wishes,
LeonB

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Grip tape - pics
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2005, 06:49:51 AM »
>>Yesterday I went to a K-Mart looking for "Perma Stik Safety Threads tape...no luck.  Later I went to another local hardware store and found another type grip tape...another made by 3M.  This stuff came in various widths and I choose the one inch variety.  This stuff was not as thick as the stuff I found a few days ago and was more glossy black...and looked real fresh...but no production date found.  

I went home and put some of the new stuff on one of my R9s and a Colt Mustang, and so far it is holding...!  I did do some different prep work this time.  Rather than use a degreaser to clean, and applying heat to the gun before taping...this time I used alcohol, as per Chris and no heat.  I will try and get some pics to post in the next day or so showing the different grip applications I'm trying.  This is fun...!...TW<<

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2005, 07:54:42 AM »
I also cleaned first with alcohol.  It stuck perfectly, and looks like it will be there for the long run.

Bill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2005, 01:57:41 PM »
with a 20 ft. roll you could do a body wrap.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2005, 02:22:52 PM »
[size=13]with a 20 ft. roll you could do a body wrap.[/size]

;D ;D ;D
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2005, 04:56:01 PM »
Mighty fine, Chris.

I tried to use the same lengths of tape.

The tape just seems to go naturally with the pistol.  It looks and feels just right.

I went out today and found something called Skid Guard Safety Tape ($4.99 for 8 ft. at Ace Hardware), and did what Michigunner did, only I extended my tape a quarter inch more on the backstrap. Just a little extra that gives me a little extra grip.

It looks like it was made for the gun (or that the gun was made with it) and it kinda feels like 30lpi checkering feels. (I prefer 20 or 25, but hey, this fix cost me all of 5 bucks, with enough left to do another 12 R9s!;^)

I still haven't been back to the range, but it looks like tomorrow is a good day. I'll let you know. Already it's easier to draw from my pocket.
And if it works great, I'll make a few and send to the Brothers R'. I think it beats the Handall, Jr., um, hands down...

Steve
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline Yachtsman

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2005, 10:33:47 PM »

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2005, 10:45:05 PM »
You are getting close now.

The final result might look something like mine, except it could say aol and include your userid:

http://home.comcast.net/~michigunnerII/onlinestorage/DCP_3388.JPG

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2005, 11:31:46 PM »
Steve,

Here is the URL you just sent me in a PM.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/yachtsmannc/detail?.dir=/91d0&.dnm=792 6re2.jpg
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 11:32:34 PM by Michigunner »