Author Topic: Graham "Kentucky" vs "Night Owl"  (Read 10649 times)

Offline jarcher

• Master
Graham "Kentucky" vs "Night Owl"
« on: March 19, 2005, 02:01:51 AM »
Hi All...

Since RJ is not taking orders, I have been poking around.  I see that Rohrbaugh sells Graham "Kentucky" holsters on their site.  Does anyone know the dimensions of these?  Also, they only show one side of it.  Is there a thumb push off on the other side?  I don't care for the index finger push off, but otherwise it looks quite nice.

I see Graham also makes the "Night Owl" which has no reinforcing band and also does have a thumb push off.  These are both attributes I like!  But no information is provided on the width of this holster either.  Does anyone know?  Without the band, does it stay open for reholstering?

Finally, I am wondering if I should spring for something unusual like shark or osterage.  Rohrbaugh lists osterage and shark for the Kentucky.  I read that osterage is thinner and less durable than shark.  Thin appeals to me, even if less durable does not.  How much less durable?  

I never knew there was so much to chosing a leather holster before.  I own a High Noon Slide Guard holster I am very happy with in horse hide (for my Sig P239), but otherwise I have kydex holsters.

My new baby will probably spend a lot of time in this holster, so I want something that won't scratch it up.  Also, I need to be able to draw and reholster one handed.  So if anyone could offer some information to consider on the material, and hopefuly the dimensions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 02:35:39 AM by jarcher »

Offline Stook

Re: Graham "Kentucky" vs "Night Owl
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 04:38:18 PM »
jarcher -

Don't know that I have the answer to all of your questions, but I got out my Kentucky ordered from Rohrbaugh Store and measured it for you -

From edge to edge (front wing to rear wing) is about 4 3/4"
Top to bottom is about 3 1/2"
Thickness at the top is about 1 1/8" across the opening from outer edge to outer edge
Front leather is about 1/8" and back piece is about 3/32".  I believe that the ostrich on the front is laminated to leather used to make the holster which accounts for the difference in thichness of the leather.

It does have a thumb push off disc at the point on the outside where the trigger sits inside the holster.  There is no reinforcing band, but the leather is sufficiently stiff that it doesn't collapse.  Haven't carried it a great deal yet, but it is a quality piece.

Hope this helps.

Randy

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 04:39:58 PM »
I might suggest too you contact kevin of K&D Holsters ... he posts here from time to time.  He made me two rigs for mine.

One is a small belt slide - I almost prefer this placement when I don't need to pocket carry.  Then there is his pocket rig - this one with mag slot.  Pics below to give you some idea - sorry, belt one is a poor quality pic.

I also use some of the time an Uncle Mikes #2 Sidekick ... this is for when my pocket dimensions are on the small side and I am ''pushing my luck'' with fit!!

Having this choice of effectively three carry rig options is great - always one of these will ''make my day''!

Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 05:38:01 PM »
Thanks, R9SCarry, for posting those pics.  

Jarcher,

Mr. Graham does make a high quality holster - no doubt about it.  There's Matt Del Fatti (who's listed on the links page here on the forum), Lightning Sports who has JCS holsters, Milt Sparks, and I think Lou Alessi is now making them also.  All of the above mentioned are top quality holster makers for your R9S.

I also make a variety of holsters for the R9S.  The most popular choice is our 2n1 convertible, which has the anti-print panel that snaps on and off.  It essentially allows you to carry either in the front pocket (most generally with the panel off) or in the rear or coat pocket (most generally with the panel on).  There is a reinforcement band around the throat of the holster, and allows for pushing off with your thumb.  It is available in either right or left hand version.  I also offer exotic skins such as shark, alligator, etc.  Pictured below is the holster itself shown with a Kel-Tec P3AT (laying on shark skin).

Good luck in your search.  There are a number of excellent holster makers available for your choosing.  8)
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline rbonin

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 07:22:39 PM »
Jarcher,

I own the Night Owl for an NAA Guardian.  It's a nice holster, but I found it to print a bit too much for my tastes.  I ended up switching to carrying the Guardian in my front right pocket using his back pocket holster, which worked just fine.

Bob

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 08:42:41 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies, very helpful.  Bob, it did occur to me that the Night Owl might print quite a bit.  Thank you for mentioning that.  Randy, those dimensions look great, but I just don't like that index finger pusher.  

I wish it was available with a thumb pushoff and no index finger pusher.  If the holster is in a tight pocket, there may not be room to bend my index finger, but the using the thumb pusher does not require any extra space.

Kevin, your pocket defended did catch my eye before I made this post.  I like the rounded rear part.  The 2in1 is an interesting idea.  Do you have any pictures of the side of the holster part that the panel snaps on to, without the panel attached?  I'm wondering what the snaps look like.  I would mostly use this for front packet carry, so if the snaps are intrusive I would probably get the holster without the panel.

Regarding material, I am less concerned about cosmetics then I am about how thin the leather is and how durable.  I don't care for the reinforcement band, as it adds thickness, but I understand it is needed to prevent the collapse when I draw.  

So if my priorities are thinness of material and not scratching up my pistol, what material would you recomend for a pocket defender?

Finally, is the pocket defender designed such that the sights won't hang up when the pistol is drawn?

Thank you!

Jim

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 11:55:13 PM »
Here are pics of the back of the 2n1 holster and the back of the anti-print panel:

With respect to the reinforcement band, you can use a slightly thinner piece of leather.  At the thickest part, where the two sides are placed together, you're talking approximately 3/16 of an inch thick.  It would be slightly thinner at the point where the reinforcement band is at the throat of the holster.

I would recommend using the Hermann Oak veg-tanned leather that I currently use for the holster itself.  It is considered the best leather in the industry for making holsters.

A properly molded holster will allow the gun to be extracted without hinderance.
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 02:57:12 AM »
Thanks Kevin!  Great reply.  Two more questions...

First, how would the Hermann Oak veg-tanned leather treat my firearm?  Is it smooth or is it abrasive?  

Next, how do I order one?  I still need to decide if I want the panel or not.

Best,

Jim

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 07:54:47 AM »
Jim:

One of the ways to tell true quality leather is by looking at the rough (flesh) side of the leather.  If it's very smooth and slick, or has a tight knap as we say in the business, like Hermann Oak, then that's what you're looking for.  Too often folks are led to believe that a soft-backed/fuzzy leather is the way to go.  That soft leather then transforms into a very hard and abrasive one once the dye is applied.  

You can place an order through the website, via email (leathercraft-at-hotmail.com), or over the phone.  Our phone number is listed on the "contact" page of our website.

I've carried a P3AT in the 2n1 model of holster in my front pocket, oftentimes with the panel attached.  I wear jeans 99.99% of the time.  I've never had difficulty in drawing the gun.  
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 12:48:27 AM »
Hi Kevin and thanks again.  I'll give you a call Monday.

Best,

Jim

Offline Jim

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 01:13:01 AM »
Hi Jarcher, this may be a little late however I have a Kentucky and was also concerned about the index finger "push off" of the holster when I ordered it..  It works very well and is very easy to use..  I think it may be even better than a thumb release..  Jim
Glock 23, previous R9S owner sold due to health problems.  Just enjoy the folks on this forum!!

Offline Jim

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 01:14:17 AM »
Hey K-man,  super looking holsters.  Got any pictures with the flap on??  Thanks,  Jim
Glock 23, previous R9S owner sold due to health problems.  Just enjoy the folks on this forum!!

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005, 01:35:27 AM »
I ordered a 2 in 1 from Kevin.  I'll let everyone know when it comes in.

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2005, 06:46:44 AM »
Jim:

Here's a picture of a front view.

The picture above, which shows the back of the panel, does have a holster attached with a gun in place.  So you can see that there is no outline of the gun visible.
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

Offline sharp

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2005, 11:56:18 AM »
I have the Kentucky holster and like it.....BUT...I've noticed that the slide of the R9 is wearing holes in my pants pockets rather quickly so I'm now looking for another design where the leather comes up to completely cover the slide.  Lou Alessi's does I believe so I will probably get one ordered from him to try.  I'll let you know how the Alessi works.
Jeff