Author Topic: Looks like Remington's R9 variation  (Read 19020 times)

Offline Covert23

• Sharpshooter

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Re: Looks like Remington's R9 variation
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 10:14:02 AM »
I found that this was more direct. Thanks for the heads up!
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/04/05/gun-review-new-remington-rm380/
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline Covert23

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 10:17:24 AM »
Cool....thanks!

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 10:41:17 AM »

MSRP  $417.OO

I am surprised they can do an aluminum frame for that price.  The front strap is checkered also which would be nice on a 9mm.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 12:15:07 PM by MRC »

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 12:25:52 PM »

So here is the gun that they denied was even in the works at SHOT Show...

Interesting that there is not even a passing mention of the obvious Rohrbaugh heritage.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 01:32:56 PM »
I wonder about the trigger pull and how smooth it will be as well if the mags can be interchanged? How long will the spring last is another question, I did notice the slide locks back on an empty mag.  For that price I may need to get one and put it through the paces if they come out with a 9mm.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 01:53:03 PM by dddonkey »

Offline PocketRocketLover

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 09:03:59 PM »
There are a few video postings on the RM380 on YouTube . The details about this 380 and its heritage are somehow overlooked by Mr Cox of Remington , in his interview . Some here may find it of interest to watch . Just type I the search bar Remington RM380 . The plus is that it seems Galco leather will be making leather for this near twin and I would think that would benefit us all to some degree . Thanks for reading and your time gents .

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 11:05:19 PM »

So here is the gun that they denied was even in the works at SHOT Show...

Interesting that there is not even a passing mention of the obvious Rohrbaugh heritage.

The failure of Remington to mention the Rohrbaugh heritage of that piece prompts me to give away to a friend who is less prosperous than I have the good fortune to be all of the Remington Golden Saber ammunition I have in my safe.  From now on it is Speer, Winchester, and Precision One ammunition for me.

In my profession as an attorney, plagiarism is an abomination.  If you are going to quote or copy someone else's work, simple honesty requires proper attribution.  I find the entire situation with Remington's launch of this Rohrbaugh .380 knockoff obnoxiously offensive.  And if some Remington official has the time or interest to interrupt his or her busy day to read this post, I suggest that they seek to give credit where credit is due. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 11:07:12 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 09:53:21 AM »
It could be a blessing Richard.

With the recent manufacturing problems that Remington has been experiencing, I would be more than a little reluctant to have my name associated with anything coming out of their shops.

The R380 should be a fairly simple build, the R9 is a different game altogether.

Offline Rich3006

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 12:43:18 PM »
It makes me laugh when I read how they "designed" it.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 02:00:06 PM »
It could be a blessing Richard.

With the recent manufacturing problems that Remington has been experiencing, I would be more than a little reluctant to have my name associated with anything coming out of their shops.

The R380 should be a fairly simple build, the R9 is a different game altogether.

You might have a point there, MRC. With a MSRP of $417.00 there must be a lot of MIM shortcuts in the RM380's production. However, I still find the manner in which Remington has handled this entire matter to be totally offensive. And, as you know, I previously was a proponent of their Golden Saber ammunition.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline PocketRocketLover

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 03:04:06 PM »
For those that have NOT yet viewed the video postings on YT as I pointed out yesterday . If you take the time to view the complete video posted by GunBlast . He shows in detail stills . The internals of the weapon . Of that I found the hammer to be of interest . Dare I say MIM part there ? I too am not happy with Remington's Mr Cox and the somewhat odd  " I MADE IT FOR MY WIFE " comment in one interview posting . While I am certain Remington is following Glocks mindset . By introducing a 380 model 1st then a 9mm later . The total lack of the Rohrbaugh R9 not even being given a nod is offensive to me . While if and when they do spit out a KNOCKOFF R9 9mm . It would be interesting to see if they stick to their current snub of the brothers original design . Adding a grip mag release and a slide stop and front strap checkering does not equal an ORIGINAL design . A Frank Lloyd Wright house is still a Wright house even if the new owners put a new coat of paint on it .

Offline T-Man

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 04:03:54 PM »
WOW! Just a "wee bit" of familiar design cues in that "new" introduction, I'd say!

You'd think they'd try to disguise its lineage maybe just a little...

Then again, maybe not. Once you buy out a company, you then own their designs. It would seem to me that at least acknowledging its obvious heritage would be the honorable thing to do. After all, they mentioned the ill-fated R-51 was an updated version of the Pederson "hesitation locked" action design.
Ted

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 05:27:19 PM »

Legally, of course, the designs are theirs...  However you would think it appropriate to acknowledge the history of the design.  In fact, some customers might find that to be a selling point, no?

The .380 is a good place to start.  A lot more room for error.  It will be interesting to see if they can successfully morph that pistol into a 9mm at that price point.  The operating pressures of 9mm are a whole different ballgame.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 05:59:17 PM »
Legally, of course, the designs are theirs...  However you would think it appropriate to acknowledge the history of the design.  In fact, some customers might find that to be a selling point, no?

I would agree with you Duane, except that in my opinion, the majority of gun owners that would even think about purchasing a firearm from Remington, especially in that price range, have never even heard of the name Rohrbaugh. A small amount of potential customers might find that to be a selling point. I think that Remington has a larger market share on their mind.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!