Author Topic: Modern Sporting Rifles  (Read 2606 times)

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Modern Sporting Rifles
« on: July 26, 2016, 03:37:50 PM »
Just looking at some prices online and thinking about the future.

I think right now we are in a lull between the buying panics.  New legislation is on hold, the election is still far enough out, no executive action pending, inventory high and prices low, etc.  I think this will change as we get closer to the election.  Probably get some executive action right before the current occupant of the White House leaves office.  I feel hillary will bring on a new set of legislation that will not have the same work arounds that they have passed laws with in the past.  I fear they have learned and will hit us hard this time.

For me this is the ideal time to consider buying supplemental modern sporting rifles (AR-15) as a hedge against future changes.

Here in Texas, we are not under any magazine restrictions and new AR magazines are running $<10 for metal and about $12-18 for Magpul 30 and 40 rounders.
Prices on normal capacity pistol magazines seem to be lower than in recent years and the supply is high.  Picked up a couple factory CZ-75 16 round count magazines for less than $25 each.

I can still purchase AR lowers for about $65 - $100.
80% build your own AR lowers are $<90, will probably do a couple of those to try em' out, and get 'off paper' rifles built.

AR Parts kits are available online for $<400.

So a assemble yourself basic rifle is under $500.

AKs seem a little pricey, but are available. (traded the last of my AK years ago, never looked back.)

The Tavors, Sigs, FNs and other similar rifles are available.

Gun show tables are full of stock, and people seem to be buying, just not in a panic and at high prices we have seen in the recent pass.

I figure I am no longer purchasing guns for myself as much as I am for the younger generation that will follow me.  Trusts set up for both the NFA items, regular firearms and other important things.  So any transfer ban gets pushed 60+ years down the road for us.  Probably get a few more rifles in the next month along with a good supply of magazines and military grade ammo.  M855/SS109 is running around $0.40 each online now, and I think it will be a target of legislation after the first of the year.  So a few thousand rounds more of that may get buried in the woods along with a couple of rifles, LOL.

Hate to see any of you guys look back next year and think, I should have gotten somethings when the times were good..........................

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Modern Sporting Rifles
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 05:18:03 PM »
The trust sounds like a great idea for registered weapons.  Well done.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 10:04:52 AM »
backupr9, my grandmother was a big fan of trusts.  Her thoughts and preparation was proven correct upon her passing a few years ago.  We did not have to go to court, 30 minutes in her (our) lawyers office and her estate was completely taken care of.  That included real estate that has been in our family since the original Spanish land grants here in Texas.

Regarding NFA items in trusts, they are not quite as desirable today as they were a couple of weeks ago due to some regulation changes, but they have advantages.  I have a number of people listed on mine as trustees, and each one of them can possess any of my items legally.  So if herself wants to take a suppressor to a ladies night at the local range, or my cousin wants to go to deer camp with a SBR, I don't have to come along.  If those items were registered in my name, that would not be legally possible.  Plus upon my death, there is no need for a transfer as the items are owned by the trust, and managed by the trustees.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 07:27:02 PM »
One more thing to add, if you like shooting M855/SS109 spec. ammo, now is the time to buy.  That is on the hit list also.

I was able to purchase a sizable quantity of new production Israeli mfg. for < $0.40 a round.

I used to shoot that exclusively in my rifles, now I sight them in with it, then use cheaper stuff to plink and train.  Hate to hoard it, but feel I have to now.

Fear the State Dept tweaking the ITAR rules will have a huge effect on a lot of things in the firearm world.............