Author Topic: Kimber Solo next to R9  (Read 6468 times)

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
Kimber Solo next to R9
« on: March 26, 2011, 08:58:47 PM »
Here they are, had to relearn the picture posting process.  Too much sand between my ears.  As you can see, the size is comparable.  In the first photo, the R9 is sitting directly on top of the SOLO.  The SOLO is slightly longer and I believe, according to specs, the exact difference is 3/10 of an inch.  The SOLO weighs 17 oz with empty mag, R9 is 13.5 I believe, but in my hands, they feel the same.   The SOLO comes with one 6 round magazine.  I bought spares made by Kimber for $21.95, they are supposed to be coming out with an extended 8 round mag soon.  I saw that several of you preferred the all silver, they didn’t have one to look at, but I liked the two tone and saw one on line with nice rosewood grips and it made a nice package.  The SOLO disassembles very easily, much like the 1911.  It is striker fired.  As someone else mentioned in another post, it is very well rounded for carry, nothing that would snag.  The mag well is beveled as well.  The trigger feels very nice and the pull is about the same as the R9, I’d call it just as smooth too, but will let you know for sure tomorrow after I wring it out.  I like the sights (tritium is in the works for this gun), and it points instinctually much like a 1911.  Oh, and I’ll be firing a new S&W 1911 tomorrow too and will write a little about it.  It’s a Pro Series 3”.  More to come tomorrow my friends…I got ammo and targets to pack….

American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Kimber Solo next to R9
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 09:18:34 PM »

Toad,
It sounds like that sand land money is burning a hole in your pocket.

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 09:21:38 PM »
Tracker, Brother you are right on!  I hope to have a R9 Stealth real soon too.  
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 09:26:21 PM »

Good on you, mate.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 09:49:11 PM »
Toad.  That's some good looking pictures.  Looking forward to your range results.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 09:49:58 PM »
Toad, You deserve to treat yourself after a trip to the armpit of the earth.
  They are a fine looking pair, good job on the pics.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 10:42:21 PM »
Great picks. The Solo looks a bit wider than the R9.

I wonder what the Solo width is?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 10:42:52 PM by wolverine_450 »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 10:48:20 PM »

Maximum width is 1.20 inches, including the two safeties; slide width is .995 inches.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 10:59:25 PM »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 10:41:16 AM »
Thanks for the side by side pictures.  I haven't even seen one in these parts.  The only two guys I know that have them say they are their favorite small nine yet.
I've been watching them on GB.  One went for $1255 last night.  Crazy!

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 11:26:34 AM »
There is a place here in NC that is taking orders on there shipment of ten guns they have coming from Kimber, five two tone & five silver.
  They are getting $670
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 01:08:36 PM »
Just back from the range, full report to follow with pix.  The gun works!  No issues!  I read someplace where a guy had constant failures to feed.  I think I know why and will explain.  Got to do some yard work, then I'll do the write up.  But, bottom line, the gun works great.  Dude a couple lanes down from me had one and his worked too.  I tried at least 10 types of ammo.  More to come....
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline garymass

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 01:30:47 PM »
Nice to hear...

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 02:24:11 PM »
Just back from the range, full report to follow with pix.  The gun works!  No issues!  I read someplace where a guy had constant failures to feed.  I think I know why and will explain.  Got to do some yard work, then I'll do the write up.  But, bottom line, the gun works great.  Dude a couple lanes down from me had one and his worked too.  I tried at least 10 types of ammo.  More to come....

Toad; 10 types of ammo; that's really impressive.  Thanks.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 04:28:26 PM »
10 types of ammo is great, thats right up there with my pup. ;D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 04:28:46 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson