Author Topic: Refinishing Stealth to Hard Chrome?  (Read 5226 times)

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Expert
Refinishing Stealth to Hard Chrome?
« on: May 14, 2008, 01:00:39 AM »
How moisture resistant is the Stealth finish? I've noticed lately since it's been getting hot that my R9 gets moisture on it, especially along the holster line. With the forthcoming summer and the fact that I'll be belly banding it while cycling I thought about having it hard chromed.

Why hard chrome? I've always wanted Tripps to refinish a P7M8. The P7M8 I currently have is a Chantilly with the original finish. I won't refinish a Chantilly unless it's getting rusty. Tripps is closing their refinishing shop in mid June. With that, I thought I'd send the R9 to get done. Hard chrome holds up to a lot of wear. They won't hard chrome the frame since its alloy so I hope to talk to them about their Cobra Coat as long as it will match the slide. Tripps won't/can't checker the grip either. Something about the shape. I can either send it to someone else for checkering or see if they can texture it some way through bead blasting during their prep of the gun for refinishing.

Thoughts? No recommendations of other refinishers needed. I'm set on Tripps.

ccoorreeyy

Re: Refinishing Stealth to Hard Chrome?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 02:47:43 PM »
I wonder why they won't do the frame?  It will take hard chrome but there is a chance it wont perfectly match the stainless.

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 12:02:40 AM »
I believe I remember either Karl or Eric telling me at SHOT 2007 the stealth finish is the same thing as on the S&W 340PD.  It's pretty resistant to all corrosion.

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 11:30:35 AM »
I called and spoke with Maria. It's a pleasure to call a company and deal with someone who is extremely nice and helpful over the phone.

She asked for the specs on the finish. If it fits within their tolerances they will note my file as approved as not voiding the warranty. I know hard chroming adds very little to the gun. I sent an email to Tripps for their specs.

I'll keep you all posted.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
thanks Jack let us know about the hard chrome finish.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 01:59:21 PM »
I called and spoke with Maria. It's a pleasure to call a company and deal with someone who is extremely nice and helpful over the phone.

She asked for the specs on the finish. If it fits within their tolerances they will note my file as approved as not voiding the warranty. I know hard chroming adds very little to the gun. I sent an email to Tripps for their specs.

I'll keep you all posted.

That is good to know-thanks for the info!!
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 05:00:26 PM »
Tripps Research advised that Hard Chroming adds .0003 to .0005 to the surface of the gun. I left a message for Maria at Rohrbaugh to let her know. She called me back about an hour later. She confirmed with Mr. Rohrbaugh that it would be acceptable. However, she went so far as to offer to have Mr. Rohrbaugh call Virgil Tripp to discuss the details to ensure this would not interfere with the function of the gun.

Maria is extremely courteous and very helpful. I'll let you guys know what happens next.

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 11:51:34 AM »
Jack did you ever get any work done to that R9?   I was just reading up on old post and thought I might ask.
Corey