Author Topic: Seecamp Annoucement  (Read 8040 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Seecamp Annoucement
« on: October 31, 2014, 10:39:39 AM »
This surprised me a little but when the right company is willing to take it over, you better make the move. 

I hope this goes better than Rohrbaugh's change.

http://www.seecamp.com/Announcement.pdf

Here is the new production company's website

http://www.whalleyprecision.com/
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 11:56:29 AM by MRC »

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Re: Seecamp Annoucement
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 10:49:53 AM »
And the beat goes on…..
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline Phsimone

• Master
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 12:10:13 PM »
Sorry to see it happen, best of luck to the new owners and what a breath of fresh air.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 12:20:42 PM »
Sorry to see it happen, best of luck to the new owners and what a breath of fresh air.

The way I read it, Larry has not sold the Company, just "farmed out" the production for now.

I am sure details will be forth coming, but they plan to start assembling pistols by the end of next week possibly. 

Seecamps, like the R9's, are not a complicated firearm.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 01:05:25 PM »

Interesting.  Didn't see that coming.

I suspect that there may be another domino or two to fall in the small gun market.  We will see.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 06:49:27 PM »
The new company is a 'Machine Shop' with 30 employees. They have some pretty advanced CNC equipment, and have owned the pistols personally. A machinist if the perfect fit for a Seecamp transfer. You hit a level with Rorhbaughs, and Seecamps, where you are too busy to breathe.

Another thing is a successful machine shop won't buy an unsuccessful design. The owners were on the Seecamp forum the day after the transfer.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 11:24:08 AM »
The new company is a 'Machine Shop' with 30 employees. They have some pretty advanced CNC equipment, and have owned the pistols personally. A machinist if the perfect fit for a Seecamp transfer. You hit a level with Rorhbaughs, and Seecamps, where you are too busy to breathe.

Another thing is a successful machine shop won't buy an unsuccessful design. The owners were on the Seecamp forum the day after the transfer.

It looks very promising to me also Mr skunk. 

This is the kind of shop that the R9 belongs in also, but large Corporations are willing and able to pay much higher buyouts from what I have experienced and have seen.

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 12:19:53 PM »

It looks very promising to me also Mr skunk. 

This is the kind of shop that the R9 belongs in also, but large Corporations are willing and able to pay much higher buyouts from what I have experienced and have seen.

Large corporations (Freedom Group) hire sales, and go for efficiency.  Look at Kimber, or the American Sig - a Nathan Hot Dog executive was put in charge and quality went off the cliff. A bunch of MIM, and stamped parts, that require 500 round to break the gun in.

This new group of Larrys is a couple of brothers, who took a small machine shop and turned it into an advanced shop. They personally owned Seecamps for years, and have everything figured out. A machine shop relies on quality.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 12:45:10 PM »
It was good that Larry Seecamp was able to choose who he was able to turn production over to and have faith that the work he and his father had put their whole lives into would be carried on the way he wants it to.

The Rohrbaugh's appeared to have other forces driving their sale, it seems to me.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 01:38:23 PM »

This is definitely a model arrangement where there is a smooth transition and a relatively seamless continuity. There will always be problems in any transfer of manufacturing to another party but this one should minimize any effect on Seecamp owners and future buyers.

Offline heyjoe

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 11:15:10 PM »
i wonder how much the diaster of the Rohrbaugh sale to remington affected Larry Seecamps decision to move production to Whalley, turning down big money offers from larger companies in the process.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 10:24:49 AM »
A link to a new thread started by the new Owners of Seecamp

http://www.seecamp.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1415113599/1#1

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 02:27:03 PM »
Here is a post from Larry Seecamp.  This is how a Small Company should do business.

Larry Seecamp
Seecamp Global Moderator

Re: Congrats to Larry, John and Dave
Reply #113 - Today at 11:03am Quote 

No one gets married thinking it won’t work.

There are no guarantees in life on anything.   

That said, the only thing I can add right now is that the chemistry between me and the Whalley party, John and Dave and others, is as good as it could possible be.  The Whalley folks have both the capability and the desire.  There is excellent communication among us.   

FWIW, related to another post, there is no muzzle clause in the contract ~ which is very short, to the point, and summarizes a handshake agreement based on a three minute conversation between friends.  I am convinced this operation will succeed because it won’t travel through conversations filtered through lawyers’ and corporate officers.  The Whalley folks listen.  And they care.   

Also FWIW, I’ve gotten to know Dave Whalley much better and I like him a lot.  He’s easy to like.  He cares about the product and the customer.  We are tuned to each other. 

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 09:24:17 AM »
One point Larry likes to make when I talk to him is that he refused any type of gag order in the contract for the sale of his company, something that Eric and Karl had not much choice in. Larry wanted to tell his story to the gun world and let every customer and friend know what is going on.
He (and I am not speaking for Larry here) mentioned the Eric and Karl could not talk about the sale of their beloved company.
We feel bad enough that they had so much personal damage in their lives that Eric and Karl do not deserve to be thought of as two guys that did not want to tell their story, but two guys that could not tell their story due to the contract.
They should not get any slack about this matter.
I have had two R9s in my life and one remains and it still remains one of my favorite carry pieces.
I have also mentioned on the Seecamp forum that I really wish I could have had a hand in getting Larry, Eric and Karl together a couple years ago and form one manufacturing company.Could you imagine?
I know that the Whalley brothers are going to produce the Seecamp pistol, they are probably really close at this point in time.
I can only dream that the R9 and parts for the R9 will be produced in the very near future.
Who knows, there may be an interest in the Whalley company for Eric and Karl to build a different design based on the R9, forget Remington!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 01:11:46 PM »

Having spent some time in the military I am not one to promote rumor mongering but I heard from a somewhat reliable source that Remington will begin R9 production not before next fall. The source asked to remain confidential.