Author Topic: Has anyone done NP3+ over stipling or checkering?  (Read 6671 times)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Has anyone done NP3+ over stipling or checkering?
« on: May 05, 2011, 12:52:48 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has done it and what the results were

Offline Z

• Grand Master
Re: Has anyone done NP3+ over stipling or checkeri
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:14:43 PM »
I like the look of checkering. The PUP is a high end pistol and I think the checkering fits right in there. The checkering not only looks good it is also functional.

I hard chromed the exterior and NP3 the internals.

[img][/img]

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:49:59 PM »
Nice, Adam, very nice!    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 10:19:08 PM »
Thank you.

Now I have to find a set of blue carbon fiber grips to replace the ones I sold! ;D

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 11:16:19 PM »
When I was building custom 1911's on the side,  I did a lot of hand checkering from 20 to 50 LPI.  I had occasion to have it hard chromed, nytexed (electroless nickle) and hard anodized.   I always bead blasted it pretty coarse on the front and back prior to polishing the sides of the frame, even when bluing.   It always came out well.  But on the coarser variety, 20 LPI, if you didn't blast it, it would be sharper than most people really want.   I don't think that's a problem with the finer varieties from 30 to 50 LPI.
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 11:32:48 PM »
Cogan usually does 40lpi checkering on the PUPs.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 04:37:34 PM »
My 1911 is was checkered before before the NP3 was applied, and it turned out great!
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 05:27:05 PM »
There are a few gun shops out there that have 20 lpi as a standard offering.  I did read here where that's kinda sharp.  I am wondering if the NP3 sort of smoothes that out so I don't have to have it blasted.

Well since aesthetics come up so often on this forum, I saw a beautiful Kahr that had a diamond pattern for the checkering.  It’s basically just checkering but done at a 45° to the grip instead or perpendicular, but boy it looks nice!

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 05:52:51 PM »
I had a PUP customized at AP&W with 20lpi checkering  and hard chrome finish. The 20lpi was too course even with the chrome plating.

I like the 40lpi better.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 06:13:08 AM »
I don't know what the line count is on my race gun, but it is hard chromed as well and it leaves deep marks in your hand, which I like.  I don't want that gun shifting one iota on multi-taps.  Obviously the hard chroming did not soften it up.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE