Author Topic: Another sights thought .....  (Read 13697 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Another sights thought .....
« on: June 04, 2004, 10:06:34 PM »
I wonder ..... and I haven't even run this by Eric yet ...... if it would be possible to make (drill/mill) two small (say 3/32") indents on the rear sight ... either side of the notch.  Then machine a slight concave on the foresight ramp.

Reason being .... I have usefully applied and used (instance BHP) ... ''BrightSights'' paint in the small depressions on a sight ... and they stay put.  Foresight is easiest when vertical at rear so R9 would need some slight relief to hold paint so it was not rubbed off.

I favor two green spots rear and a yellow up front ... it makes for a much faster sight pic' aquisition.  I have applied some to my R9S and like the effect --- it will of course rub off because on a flat surface.

What thoughts?  waste of time - or useful small modification to the gun, to permit those who like paint to apply it so it'll last.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
Re: Another sights thought .....
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 11:32:43 AM »
It sounds great R9SCarry,

I would love to see it done at the factory. I have always been a fan of low light sights but the Rohrbaugh seems like such a good gun that I have been willling to settle for the gun without them. I like your idea.

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 02:55:31 PM »
I too like the idea as stated!

Source for the paint please?
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 04:34:21 PM »
I got mine from Charlie Parrott .. the Smart Carry guy.  He happened to put in a small flier with my order for the rig and discovered he keeps the paint.  Comes in very tiny bottles.  There are ''fluorescent'' colors done too but he reckons those are not as good as cracked up to be.  I got the standard ones .... in yellow, green and red.  I apply with end of a toothpick.

His site is ..... http://www.smartcarry.com/ but no need to go there ..... just call on ... 1-888-459-2358 and speak to him.

I daresay there are other sources of course.  In fact just Googled this ......

"bright sights"

Try it and you'll get the manufacturer's site and other links too.

So - reckon I could run this by Eric?  Unless he has read this already of course!  (not wanting to add to your work burden Eric - honest!!).
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 05:19:12 PM »
I've emailed Eric to get his thoughts on this ... I have now got #2 R9 on order and would certainly like this done to it if at all possible ... it will be what I carry a lot ... my first I want to preserve somewhat!  We'll see if it's practicable .. albeit I expect for a small cost increase.

Here is the R9S sight picture again . but I have added the ''effect'' you'd see, if I added my green and yellow.  The forsight color bar is not showing full width - cos i am assuming any shallow machining to ''contain/protect'' any applied paint would perforce not be full width.

I could if real careful, and with the machinery I still have .. do this for myself ... but would hesitate to do so from choice ... it'd be way less accurate than if done CNC!!  It would represent extra programing and another operation on a slide but - once set up .. could probably be done without adding a huge time burden.

The whole idea of course with this paint deal is simply to ''find'' that foresight quicker.

Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 09:54:48 PM »
I plan to preserve my first one as well and plan to carry my second one.  I too would like my second one done exactly as you suggest; one color rear sights and a second color for front sight.

My current thought is that my Rohrbaugh will be my BUG and it may well go into an ankle holster.  My thoughts are that the Rohrbaugh will be available inside left ankle; for in-the-car and on-the-ground availability.  My Keltec P-11 will likely go in my right, front pocket and I have already mounted the clip onto my Glock 19 for my full size choice, when I am dressed properly to conceal the larger form factor pistol.  

My Keltec and Glock both have night sites and I would like for my Rohrbaugh to have them as well.  Please let Eric know this when you speak to him, if you please.

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2004, 11:17:32 PM »
Looks great. I like it!

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2004, 11:40:45 PM »
My Keltec and Glock both have night sites and I would like for my Rohrbaugh to have them as well
Are you meaning Tritiums Jody? .... I assume so.  I'd imagine that would be a trickier/costlier process than what I was considering.

I will tho see what Eric has to say .... and take it from there.... and ask about night sight feasability.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2004, 11:43:42 PM »
Even at $100 to $150, The Tritiums would be nice, if they were factory replacable, as they do go dim in time.

However, detents, with paint, as you have described would be acceptable... although perhaps NOT in keeping with Karl and Eric's fundamental quality requirements.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2004, 11:54:37 PM »
True Jody - they would have to be replaceable in time.  Even allowing for cost of those, in themselves ....... somehow i think the mod's to slide might be tricky, tho of course, nothing is impossible!!

perhaps NOT in keeping with Karl and Eric's fundamental quality requirements.
I thought of that ..... but do think that it would be nice if they could do it - as an extra - for those requesting same.  The ''defacing'' element would I think not seem too excessive, even on such a quality piece.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2004, 11:58:52 PM »
Perhaps they would DO the detents and paint them with plain paint dots; but allow us to replace those dots with the special paints, if we wish... or even have them available ready to paint.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2004, 12:07:20 AM »
''Ready to paint'' Jody was all I had in mind .... just the necessary preparation such that applied paint ..... if used ... would not be vulnerable to being rubbed off.  I wasn't thinking of them adding any paint really ... tho I guess it could be offered with white perhaps as some other gun mfrs do.

I'll hope to hear Eric's thoughts when he has time to reply to me.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2004, 12:28:59 PM »
Just three dots would be great.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2004, 01:17:15 PM »
Had an email from Eric today - poor guy, almost hate writing him these days he is so busy.  Don't know about anyone else but I feel almost honored to get personal replies ..... from someone so busy..... it is appreciated and I think that fact is known.  This is the comment for now re my idea ....

The idea of small cuts on the rear surface of the sights
does have merit and is "something" we have been considering, whether it be the round cut recesses or horizontal serrations. Either would help the sight picture while keeping that low profile we need for this application. I will bring your suggestions up to Karl, Steve and Geoff and get back to you on their thoughts of putting such a thing into play.

My personal preference still would be for round indents .. I like dot effect on other sights .. the foresight could also be dot, or small bar - wouldn't matter over much.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Oscar

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2004, 11:52:32 PM »
I am going from memory as I last handled an R9S at the NRA Convention, but I believe that by proper fixturing of the slide, the rear sights may be machined by performing two plunge cuts with the correct size endmill.  This operation can be done on a vertical mill such as a Bridgeport Series 1 on a very small lot size basis.  CNC equipment would be prefferable if the lot size is greater due to less machine operator interaction.  Machining a small dot sight on the front sight probably would be very risky due to the long distance that a conventional milling tool would have to span (assuming that the hole produced has its centerline parallel to the barrel's bore).  I believe that the preferred machining method for the front sight would be Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM) by using an EDM drill such as one produced by Japax.  This type of machining uses a brass or copper tube of a specified diameter with deionized water flowing through it.  An electrical charge is applied to the tube and a spark is produced which accurately erodes the metal of the front sight (the slide must be electrically grounded).  The utility of this method is that there is no side forces on the tube as there would be on a conventional end mill.  Any side force on an end mill would cause the tool to "walk" and produce a sloppy result (and the greater the end mills unsupported length - the worse it gets).  Milling the rear sights would be fine because the machinist could "choke up" on the end mill so the unsupported length issue would not apply.  Whew!
  I'm writing this dissertation with the hope that it may get to Eric or Karl and three dot sights may be standard on my R9S that I won't see for three months.  (Selfish Huh?)
  Thanks for the continuing flow of information recorded on this forum!