Author Topic: Confused about draw style  (Read 7611 times)

Joe_from_NY

Re: Confused about draw style
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 10:11:14 PM »
isn't a shoulder rig a crossdraw?

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 10:18:06 PM »
I would like to add my 2 cents in agreement with those who cited safety concerns with a reversed-draw holster.

In a high stress situation, you have much to consider and having to remember not to sweep your legs and kidneys, while trying to assess a life-threatening situation, is a lot to ask.

Being a lefty, back in the early days of my life I considered using a righthanded holster and was told in no uncertain terms what an idiot I was for considering that.  I've heard it called the dead man's draw and less flatteringly (by my old military handgun instructor) the dumba$$ draw.

Many holster makers will tell you not to use a holster on the wrong side behind your hip, due to the probability of sweeping yourself with the muzzle when drawing.  The crossdraw from the front is a different issue, being more concerned with retention than sweeping yourself.   For your own safety, I would suggest you train to draw "palm forward" and try to become comfortable with that, before adopting what is accepted as a more dangerous configuration.

Best of luck!

Lots of wisdom packed there.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 10:23:58 PM »
isn't a shoulder rig a crossdraw?

Yes it is.

However when discussing "crossdraw", unless otherwise mentioned, it is usually understood to mean carrying on the belt, front point of the hips at either 10 or 2 o'clock.

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
  • Lifetime NRA, Lifetime VFW
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 10:50:38 PM »
Yes indeed, Reinz.  Thanks for clarifying for me.  I'm sorry I wan't clear about that.

I didn't mean to say that a front side cross draw was a sweep danger.  Rather that some instructors consider a from-the-waist cross draw rig (10 o'clock for righties  or 2 o'clock for southpaws, as Reinz stated) to present a better grip to an assailant than to the wearer.  Hence it is a retention issue rather than a muzzle sweep problem.

I haven't ever hear of this opinion against crossdraw being applied to shoulder rigs, Joe.  I have no training or knowledge of issues pertaining to retention with a shoulder rig.  Someone with training or personal experience will have to chime in about that.  It's a good question really.  I'd like to hear some opinions.
Land of the free, because of the brave.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 02:39:23 AM »
Relic - no, we got our wires crossed.

I understood you completely.  You verbalized your thoughts well as usual.

I was answering Joe's question about a shoulder rig being considered a x-draw.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 02:40:15 AM by Reinz »

Offline sisco

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
Welcome and enjoy the ride and choice of holsters. I like front pocket holsters. Tom

Hello Tom... Where you been buddy?  Nice to see you posting.  I'm still at Seecamp Forum as well.  (sisco50)