Author Topic: Remington Micro 380  (Read 9952 times)

Offline AreB

Remington Micro 380
« on: July 11, 2016, 10:29:02 AM »
Well, that's what it's come to. Handled one yesterday, horrible stacking on the trigger.

Who will be the first to knock the spacer out of the mag, bore the chamber, and re-spring it to try to make it run with 9 X 19?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Remington Micro 380
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 11:15:01 AM »
Remington.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 12:04:07 PM »
I could be wrong, but I do not think that Remington will try to go 9mm on that small a frame.

It would be too hard to do on a mass marketed firearm like they tend to manufacture.

I think that for the money, the RM380 is a very good firearm.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 12:42:10 PM »

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 02:03:37 PM »

Don't get me wrong, the R-380 is a wonderful gun of its own right...

However, when Remington came out with a .380 ACP after all that time, it felt like an admission of defeat to me.  That could not have been their goal.

You just can't mass produce a Ferrari on a Ford assembly line...

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 05:17:06 PM »

However, when Remington came out with a .380 ACP after all that time, it felt like an admission of defeat to me.  That could not have been their goal.

Eric said that when they sold out to Remington that their plan was to start with the 380 and I think that makes a lot of sense.  A much larger market for them than a R9 sized 9mm.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 05:20:54 PM »
Who knows? I didn't think we would see the Shield in .45 either:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_848574_-1_757781_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Looks like a nice pistol.  I have never shot a Shield but the reports are good.

Same size as a SA XDs 45 or maybe a tad larger and my SA is a good shooter and likes the +P's.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 11:21:43 PM »

Eric said that when they sold out to Remington that their plan was to start with the 380 and I think that makes a lot of sense.  A much larger market for them than a R9 sized 9mm.

Well, if they told Eric that... 

But I don't see how another small .380 ACP in a market crowded with them has more profit potential than one of the very smallest 9mm handguns available.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 12:38:59 PM »
If Remington wants to be a player in the handgun market, they need to expand their line.  A step in that direction, slowly on their part, but at least a step. 

If you want to talk about jumping into a crowded market, look at their recent introduction of a 1911 and the number of options out there for that type of pistol.

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 01:06:47 PM »

Well, if they told Eric that... 

But I don't see how another small .380 ACP in a market crowded with them has more profit potential than one of the very smallest 9mm handguns available.
AGREED...MAKES NO SENSE TO ME

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 01:21:17 PM »
The small and inexpensive 380 market is huge. The female market is booming and there aren't that many of them flocking to micro nines.  When they are cheap enough, people are willing to buy more than one and try everything.  Look how late Glock got into the single stack market with both the 380 and 9's and their sales are huge.

The R9 is not an easy pistol to build nor is it a cheap pistol to build. Remington's new factory in Alabama would have all sorts of trouble building a R9 that would work and hold up. There is certainly a place for high end micro nines, but it is not a big market.

I do not see it fitting into Remington's marketing scheme.  JMO

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 02:17:37 PM »

The R9 is not an easy pistol to build nor is it a cheap pistol to build. Remington's new factory in Alabama would have all sorts of trouble building a R9 that would work and hold up. There is certainly a place for high end micro nines, but it is not a big market.

I do not see it fitting into Remington's marketing scheme.  JMO

Totally agree with this.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 02:19:44 PM »

If you want to talk about jumping into a crowded market, look at their recent introduction of a 1911 and the number of options out there for that type of pistol.

True, but Remington is not a stranger to the 1911 market, nor are there many secrets left in making a 1911.  The R&D costs have to be fairly minimal, which could justify wading into the fray.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 02:32:05 PM »
I bought a RM380 mostly out of curiosity but I found it to be a very reliable and easy to shoot 380.

If I had a Wife or a Daughter looking for a self defense pistol, I would steer them toward the Remington or the Glock 42.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2016, 12:34:02 PM »
I'll end up buying the RM380 just as a way to get practice in with a similar gun without having to shoot my R9.  About once every two weeks I shoot 7 rounds from my R9.

When I read the gun forums, no one has anything negative to say about the RM380, but  I just don't see it beating out the ultra-cheap LCP which sometimes goes for $199,99 shipped.

I also see a lot of gushing over the Glock 42, which I don't get - but whatever, there definitely are a lot of people who love the Glock 42