Author Topic: Major CCW issue/maintenance problems:  (Read 4872 times)

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
Major CCW issue/maintenance problems:
« on: October 01, 2005, 01:47:32 PM »
Ok, so this IS NYS, until recently, this part of the state has been fairly pro-second amendment and everyone without a felony conviction or history of domestic violence will be issued a CCW upon request. THIS recently changed so that NO carry permits are issued; permits for "hunting, Fishing, target practice- only" are issued. No new permit holders are to be with their firearms, say, while shopping, camping, etc.

NOW, there's another ugly requirement: When having a new handgun placed into your paper work and files, the Sheriff's office has been instructed to take the original permit and hold back the transaction for up to two weeks. Why? "So they can take a really good look at you and your guns."

What is happening is the issuing officer (elected judge) has instigated the above, and is planning to raise fees astronomicly, for no other reason than he can.

Question: What have you people done when faced with one of these kinds of indivuals? Yes, he's elected and might be forced from office, but, by that time the damage will have been done and the chances of repealing his edicts are nill.

The other problem with this guy is he is a multiple election winner and has the majority party (Republican, would you believe ::) ) machinery solidly behind him.

Thanks for letting me vent, and if youse have any suggestions I might use-- moving would be my last option, BTW >:( , please drop it off.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Major CCW issue/maintenance problems:
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 09:06:26 PM »
I can offer nothing to help I fear - but can admit to a serious disgust at the whole deal.  It appalls me that this can happen - seeing as it tramples all over folk's 2A rights.

If there was any way whatever you could relocate - I would seriously consider it.  It worries me too that things like this can be ''got away with'' - same as certain CA rules and reg's and so we all need to be VERY concerned - these things are cancerous and can spread - all too easily.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline WoodstockDoug

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 09:25:00 PM »
The odd thing about NY is that the gun laws vary by county.  Here in Ulster County everyone who applies for a permit gets one, even some with prior felony convictions.  It is amazing.  One county over, and two counties down, NO ONE gets a permit -- they are stricter than NYC.  It is insane.

But NY counties aren't that big, so relocating doesn't have to be moving to Vermont -- you might just have to move a few miles to get to a more gun friendly county.  One of the web sites -- Packing.org, maybe -- actually listed all the NY counties and how gun friendly each is.  A quick Google search might find that chart.  

Aside from moving, though, the restrictions you are discussing will only apply to new additions to your permit, right?  So, anyone who stays under the radar and doesn't add any new guns might be fine, until you vote this creep out of office and get in someone with more sense.

Two years ago Pataki (another anti-gun Republican) tried to nail all of us with renewable permits and increased fees, but fortunately he was convinced it would be political suicide.  What part of NY are you in?  I haven't seen anything about this on the NYSRPA alerts, so you might want to contact them and get them to put some pressure on the problem.  

I have one other idea for you -- PM me and I'll explain it.  Good luck.

Woodstock Doug
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 09:36:22 PM by WoodstockDoug »

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 10:01:25 PM »
I sympathize with you about the gun laws in New York state.  I hope you find a good solution.

We here in Michigan are very fortunate to have shall-issue laws about carrying a pistol.

I would feel very bad to lose that privilege.

Bill

Offline dr16

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 10:52:09 PM »
With all due respect - VOTE!!!

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 11:28:46 PM »
I don't know how much national money, if any, that  local judge gets from the RNC, but I'd contact them -- he's WAY out of party line -- not that the RNC is all that pro-second ammendment, but still.  I'd also try to contact local DU/NRA chapters, do some fundraising and send the judge a LETTER (don't think you'll want to be face to face w. the &*^*&^) which informs him that all the money you can raise, and all the votes that you can come up w. will go to the first pro-gun candidate you can find -- why the heck is this controlled by a judge????  Shouldn't this either be by the state or local government?  Also, contact the Federalist society -- if you don't know, it's a group, mainly of lawyers, to combat judicial activism -- bit of a stretch, but they might help. -- assuming your local elections are like most, there are very few people who vote in them -- send him a petition, etc. to make sure he knows there will be some very mad individuals who promise to vote against him for the rest of his career.  Hell, picket his office, etc -- just let him know that his choice will have political consequences...or try real freedom and head for TX, FL, AZ, etc...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 11:29:45 PM by Aglifter »
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 08:40:16 AM »
Good replies all, and all are appreciated.

Vote? I've voted in every election since I was eligible (Lotsa yrs)

Move? I really cannot for what I have here as to real estate is almost impossible to duplicate (2,500'X120' strip) and 60 acres.

NYSRPA, NRA, Federalist, and the Rep committees... I will get my ( 8 ) in gear and start something.

Those fees which are going up to $25/movement will include each and every gun when the owner dies, sells, etc. That means if I buy a gun and then sell it for whatever reason, this county will realize $50 in punitive fees. Like the kids say..'SUCKS'.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 12:00:43 PM »
This thread has jarred loose a thought which bugs me so much I've tried to put it out of my mind.

Cars can be deadly.  A driver's license is required to operate a car in all 50 states.  All states honor each other's licenses (reciprocity).  In fact, it's ILLEGAL to have multiple driver's licenses.  When you move from one state to another, you must get a resident license within X days, and surrender the old license.

Guns can be deadly.  A CCW license is required to carry one on your person in all 50 states (except VT).  Reciprocity is spotty from state to state.  If you travel, you had better research thoroughly the laws in states on you route, because a mistake will land you in a world of legal trouble.
WHY IS THAT THE CASE?  My theory is the courts & law enforcement management want to make it difficult for CCW holders because they don't want us to be armed.

Michigan, where I live, has a modern "shall issue" CCW statue, and a citizen in good standing can get a CCW.  But, the various counties have vastly different timetables for processing.  Wayne County which includes Detroit, takes up to six months to process / renew.  Oakland County takes only a few weeks.
Maybe when we get a National Driver's License / identity card we'll also get a rational CCW reciprocity arrangement.....NOT >:(

Offline EdMan

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 11:52:16 PM »
Skyhook,
I'm sorry to hear about the CCW issue problems in your area. Here in Ohio they have some dumb CCW rules, but they do protect against a country shierff stoping honest citizens from getting their concealed carry license. They allow us to apply for our state concealed carry license in not only the county where you live, but also in any adjacent county.

Ed

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 09:37:14 AM »
Ed, I was pleased when Ohio passed the "shall issue" law.  It made things much easier for us in Michigan if we crossed the state line.

Maybe  they will someday eliminate that business about the gun must be exposed while in a car.

Seems like there is alway something.  In Michigan, we can't get drunk and carry.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 10:13:56 AM »
Booze and gunpowder never have mixed very well.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 10:30:54 AM »
I was just joking, tracker.   :)

Actually, I try to stay away from the stuff, except for a beer on rare occasions.  Generally speaking, it causes much more trouble than it is worth.

Even after reading that a small amount is good for your health, I worry that it will quickly become a larger amount, which is not good for your health.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 11:22:48 AM »
Aww, come on, we'va all seen the shirts -- "alcohol, tobacco, and firearms -- who's got the chips"   ;D  
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 11:38:18 AM »
The BATF has the chips.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 12:36:35 PM »
 :D