Author Topic: Laser sights  ?  (Read 3314 times)

Offline skorpyd

• Sharpshooter
Laser sights  ?
« on: January 02, 2011, 09:58:36 AM »
I did a search for laser on this forum and nothing came up, so either I did something wrong with the search or they have not been discussed.    

Anyway with some feedback from others on a new member thread I have decided I'm going to get an R9.     I was thinking also about trying to get a Crimson Trace type of laser.  I don't believe CT makes one for this gun but was wondering if there are any other options or ideas concerning this.

It will be found an unjust and unwise jealously to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition that he may abuse it.
George Washington

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
Re: Laser sights  ?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 10:14:23 AM »
The R9 really does not have any good laser options.

http://www.smartcarry.com/lasers.html
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 10:15:34 AM by FloridaCCW »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 11:08:14 AM »

Even if I had a Kel tec I don't think I could put one of those on it.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 11:18:54 AM »
Takes away from the gun for me and John, that's some awful stuff coming from that blue face, uhhhhh!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 11:59:24 AM »
Maybe a little harsh but putting one of those things on a pup is like putting a pair of Texas long horns on the hood of a  Lamborghini.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 12:35:12 PM »
Agreed  :D

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 02:05:30 PM »
Maybe a little harsh but putting one of those things on a pup is like putting a pair of Texas long horns on the hood of a  Lamborghini.

John

Yep!  I definitely don't like the thoughts; and horns on a Lamborghini would not loooook good at all.    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline skorpyd

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 04:14:47 PM »
I thought that there would be some dissent on the idea.  I know that it significantly cuts down on the cool factor.   My thoughts on thinking about a laser are that I am not able to practice as much as I would like so it may be a more forgiving sight. Helping me to be better.   It may also at some time be a deterrent in a confrontation,  maybe helping to avoid actual combat.  

To me, if I am carrying a weapon for SD it is a tool that I hope I don't have to use,  but if I do, I want to do all I can do to make it the best tool possible for me.

Come on yankee,  very funny analogy,  but  the lasers do have some legit use.    Give me some reasons from a tactical standpoint guy's.   I have not decided to do it yet, but in my mind I see some advantages.   What are the disadvantages?  I didn't buy it just for how it looks at the range.

By the way I went back to the gun show and am the proud owner of a new R9S,  talked him down $40 and no tax.  So I may need some accessories soon.
It will be found an unjust and unwise jealously to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition that he may abuse it.
George Washington

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 04:21:39 PM »
Defininely congrats on the R9 purchase.  Wish I could help on the laser.  Do enjoy the R9!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 06:23:16 PM by kjtrains »

Offline rodell

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 05:30:57 PM »
I have the CT laser on my LCP and it is very nice.  I can shoot accurately from any position, and, as you point out, that red dot might be unnerving.

There's no way I would put anything on my R9S unless it was extremely low profile.

I believe lasers are an effective sighting tool.  

Only one gun from enough ...

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 09:33:27 PM »
I like CT lasers but the laser option I listed above for the R9 is very very poor IMHO. Specifically, it is not made well and not adjustable. Holster options would be very limited too.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 10:15:54 PM »
Here is the list of guns I had a laser on, Glock-36 (guide rod laser) S&W 340 (laser grips) Colt New Agent (laser grips) Glock 19 (grip laser) Walther P-22 (rail laser) S&W 22A (top rail mount)
Here is the list of guns I have with lasers now.____________.

First the laser is another item that can fail. (batteries, laser, wiring, switch)
In an SD situation the time it takes to draw the gun and remember to activate the laser (depending on type) and acquire the dot (very difficult in daylight) is probably longer than you have.
Even the sights on the gun in an SD situation may be of little use, your heart is pounding, your adrenalin is pumping, hands are shaking, trying to process whats going on and what to do will not be easy. It could come down to point & shoot, something you should practice at close range.
 Lasers are a lot of fun for target shooting and plinking, my thought is keep it simple for carry.
Also as mentioned with that beast on your pup I don't know what holster you can find. :o

Sorry for the rant.

John

"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rodell

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 10:58:21 PM »
The nice thing about the laser guard is it is on when you take your normal grip.  If you don't want to use it, then you don't have to.  Somehow, though, that red dot is right where my sights are aimed ...

There's no way I would put the Pocket Boot (slipper it isn't) on my R9.  A tight laser guard - maybe.

Only one gun from enough ...

Offline skorpyd

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 10:27:33 AM »
That's more like it.  Some of the pro's and cons of actually mounting them and using them.    I have liked the CT's that I have looked at on a few guns, and the switch is right there where you grip it.   If they made one for the R9 I would try one,  but that other style seems pretty cheap and possibly unreliable.   So for now I guess it's no laser on the PUP.
George Washington