Author Topic: New member with an R9  (Read 8117 times)

Offline Tailwheel

New member with an R9
« on: September 10, 2023, 07:44:06 PM »
Good evening forum.  Ive had an R9 for a few months have just now been approved to post.  I look forward to participating here and talking about the R9.  I bought boscobarbell’s R6611 and am trying to find what ammo it likes best.   I’ve really enjoyed reading the posts about these neat guns and their history. 

I accumulate and have a fondness for J frame snubs, pocket autos, old P22x series Sigs, and CZ rimfire rifles (cz452).  Additionally I have a passion for aviation as my username suggests and enjoy flying tail wheel equipped airplanes.  My day job is in information technology and communications for the past 25 years. 

See you around the forum. 

Patrick

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Re: New member with an R9
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 08:02:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum Patrick. I heard you were going to join.

Great folks here with much history and technical help for everything R9 Series Pistol related, 9mm or .380.

See you around the boards!

Regards,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh

Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 09:36:34 AM »
Welcome Tailwheel.  We are now, sadly, a quiet forum, but I check it everyday.  My other favorite forum, the Seecamp, is now entirely defunct….Oh, well….
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Tailwheel

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 10:00:19 AM »
I've seen the seecamp forum referenced but I was unable to locate it.   I too like Seecamp's.  It is too bad that the popularity of newer things are overshadowing some great firearms.   My interests vary as you can tell from my initial post.   I love the hunt and even moreso, I love learning about the product, the engineering, the thought processes, and what is unique about this forum that I find invaluable and appealing to me is the participation of Mr. Rohrbaugh and experienced and dedicated owners like yourself.   I appreciate the opportunity to learn from you all.

Thanks,

Patrick

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2023, 10:59:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

I think you will find a lot of shared interests with others here.

I'm a big CZ fanboy. 

Pretty sure we have a few pilots and aviation enthusiasts.  I personally follow a few of the youtube vlogs regarding aviation myself.

Offline Tailwheel

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2023, 11:36:21 AM »
Thanks Mike.   I was into CZ's when they weren't talked about too much and you could get them for very little money.   I really fell in love with the CZ 452 rifles.   I've found them to be excellent squirrel gitters and they are really fun for punching holes in paper targets with my kids and other family.   Sadly, I traded off my CZ pistols.   I wish I had kept the CZ75D PCR I had.  It was a really nice carry gun but the trigger really irriated my finger.   I will likely come back around to those again someday.   

Youtube is filled with some fine aviation content.   It is hard to get work done some days with all the distractions.  :)

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2023, 09:13:34 PM »
One of the first rifles the SO purchased was a CZ-452 LUX, it's a beautiful rifle.  She also has CZ-527 with a Mannlicher stocked, double set triggers in .223 I am extremely envious of.  We both love our CZ-85s (ambi version of the 75B).

Who do you watch on youtube in the aviation arena?  I follow of Trent Palmer, Ward Carrol and Mike Patey.  Will check out a few others as they report on interesting things/accidents.

Offline Tailwheel

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2023, 02:00:22 PM »
Mike,  I follow Blancolirio, Premier 1 Driver,  Gyrocopter Girl, Airboyd, Fantasy of Flight, Guido Warneke  to name a few.   

I have a fondness for Manlicher stocked rifles as well.   I have several in the CZ 452 rimfires.   

All the best,

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2023, 05:40:22 PM »
Ok Tailwheel, you have given me a few channels to check out.  I do like Blancolirios coverage of accidents and stuff like that.  Haven't heard of the others (other than Fantasy of Flight---great museum)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2023, 09:59:39 PM »
Here is an accident in 1973 that was covered again recently by the NY Times and the numerous families affected decades later by this tragic accident.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Air_Lines_Flight_723
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 11:04:15 AM by tracker »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2023, 09:37:30 AM »
Scary!!!  My youngest son is a Delta Captain and these types of reports are difficult for my wife and me.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Tailwheel

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2023, 10:12:40 AM »
@backupR9

I understand.   My 21 year old son is working on his ratings currently with the desire to fly the big iron.   The technology is so much more advanced now as far as navigation and ground proximity than it was in 1973.   It's even way better than when I started 20 years ago. 

All the best and prayers to our boys that they fly safe.

Patrick

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2023, 11:58:41 AM »
Here is a photo for hobby pilots and aspiring tail draggers. A friend of mine in Tennessee restores Stearmans and has sold several of them. He has a hangar dedicated to his work.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://www.aerialvisuals.ca/Airframe/Gallery/0/101/0000101562.jpg&tbnid=Vhq0Bzark6VGEM&vet=1&imgrefurl=https://aerialvisuals.ca/AirframeDossier.php?AirframeSN%3D28993&docid=THUiMmHD_XDz9M&w=1000&h=666&hl=en-US&source=sh/x/im/m5/4

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2023, 03:18:44 PM »
This is the video that got me hooked on these two guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqhI4MeCn1c

(It's a shame he crashed it a few years later).

Both document a lot of back country, off airport landings, etc.  They have a lose group that includes Kevin Quinn (blancolirio did a video on him), who is known for this little piece of precision flying. Short 2:36 video on him watersking his plane around Lake Tahoe, continuously for 46 miles!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OAEGPVcvhU

Got me interested in aviation after years of being out of it (started flying in High School, gave it up after college)

Offline Tailwheel

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2023, 09:19:21 PM »
I live Kevin Quinn but I cannot stand Mike Patty’s videos.  He makes some awesome planes but he just annoys me.  Kind of like Trent Palmer.  It seems in every video the dramatization is so over the top.  I guess I prefer videos of hard IFR or super technical or complex aircraft like king airs or gulf streams.  Then there is Gyrocopter girl who is a good pilot but better eye candy.