Author Topic: SW99 - reflections .....  (Read 2900 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
SW99 - reflections .....
« on: September 26, 2004, 09:34:04 PM »
Got a chance to put my relatively new (to me) SW99 thru its paces Saturday.  Had an IDPA qualifying and night shoot at a local club.

The night aspect was a great challenge ... VERY subdued light (not much over ambient from sky and partial moonlight), altho people could use flashlights if they wished.  Few did ... too ungainly, and integral ''tactical'' lights not allowed, or lasers.  I did wonder tho after that about tritiums .. sight picture was all but impossible and I must have had foresight high most shots cos they went high.

The gun itself tho ... very pleased with actual shooting . accurate and pleasant to use.  Downside, until more practiced .... is the mag' release at lower rear of trigger guard ... ambi it is but ... far removed from a 1911 type reflex operation.  Needs practice and I find that right forefinger is needed to get quick operation.

Other downside - again practice needed .... is the decocker.  it is on top of slide at rear and a bit to right .. thumb will do it but - again needs practice.  I prefer the decocker on my P series and also liked one I tried on a guy's compact Kimber.

Bottom line .. very likeable gun but sadly one which needs much familiarization due to controls and ergonomics.  Not bad enough to make me want to get rid of it - just a pity Smith had to deviate so far from what most folks might regard as ''the norm''.  BTW - D/A trigger action very nice and transition from D/A to S/A very easy - much more so than with P series.

Must practice.!!  Could yet become a carry piece.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

::) edit entirely due to ''typo figners'' ...  :P
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 09:35:47 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Laserlips

• Expert
Re: SW99 - reflections .....
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 11:32:37 PM »
Got a chance to put my relatively new (to me) SW99 thru its paces Saturday.  Had an IDPA qualifying and night shoot at a local club.

The night aspect was a great challenge ... VERY subdued light (not much over ambient from sky and partial moonlight), altho people could use flashlights if they wished.  Few did ... too ungainly, and integral ''tactical'' lights not allowed, or lasers.  I did wonder tho after that about tritiums .. sight picture was all but impossible and I must have had foresight high most shots cos they went high.

The gun itself tho ... very pleased with actual shooting . accurate and pleasant to use.  Downside, until more practiced .... is the mag' release at lower rear of trigger guard ... ambi it is but ... far removed from a 1911 type reflex operation.  Needs practice and I find that right forefinger is needed to get quick operation.

Other downside - again practice needed .... is the decocker.  it is on top of slide at rear and a bit to right .. thumb will do it but - again needs practice.  I prefer the decocker on my P series and also liked one I tried on a guy's compact Kimber.

Bottom line .. very likeable gun but sadly one which needs much familiarization due to controls and ergonomics.  Not bad enough to make me want to get rid of it - just a pity Smith had to deviate so far from what most folks might regard as ''the norm''.  BTW - D/A trigger action very nice and transition from D/A to S/A very easy - much more so than with P series.

Must practice.!!  Could yet become a carry piece.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

::) edit entirely due to ''typo figners'' ...  :P

R9SCarry:

I've only had my Walther P99c/AS a couple of days, but it is already becoming one of my favorites..

You SW99 and my P99c/AC are basically the same firearm..  I noticed the shorter mag. release lever, but other than that the two pistols look relatively similiar.

Contrary to your findings, I'm well pleased with both the decocker position and the ambi-mag release.  I'm a lefty, so maybe that makes a difference?

I like the red "cocked" indicator too.  

My P99c/AS has turned out to be very accurate at self defense range.  Did you find the same with your SW?  

I've had a lot of pistols over the years, and this little Walther P99c seems to be the best overall package of any I've ever had.  My all time favorite Sig P239 has always been hard to top, but this Walther just might replace it...  And that surprises me.

If you need additional mags at a reasonable price you might check out CDNN..  I ordered two yesterday at $19.95 ea. +$10.00 shipping..  The SW99 mags, which are identically the same and will function perfectly in either pistol are only $12.95 ea..  (I didn't find that out until after I had bought the pricer Walther marked ones.)  These are original factory mags (I think mfg by MecGar) and the price is the best I've seen advertised.

I think you'll really enjoy your SW99..  I'm already well pleased with my P99c..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

Love all Walther centerfires!

« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 08:00:00 PM by Laserlips »
"Laus Deo"

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 11:51:23 PM »
Oh my - an old old thread resurrected LOL

Well - remember that I wrote the original in ''early days'' and as I said i think on the other thread, it was not too long before I was happy with controls.

Indeed, these guns are phenomenally accurate - in fact one day I must stretch mine to 25 yards - just to see.

The loaded chamber indicator deal is OK but - to be honest any gun I have (semi) will still always get a press check re loaded or not.  

The SIG 239 - well - these are two pretty different guns in some ways and as a SIG fan would not equate them all that closely.  Different strokes for different folks etc.  But - yes, the 99 is a very fine (IMO) compact carry firearm.

Thx for the mag info - fortunately I have enough i think - the plain base one in my pic but also two with the pinky extension, which is what I'd use from choice.

My 99 accompanied me to Tulsa OK last April in my checked baggage and was my friend while staying down there, tho normally my SIG 226 is EDC this last 2 years.

I think I can be pretty sure you will continue to enjoy your 99.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 11:51:49 PM »

Chris,

I can't emphasize enough, GET THE TRITIUMS!

They are a huge help in seeing the sights in low light.  If you have enough light to tell threats from non threats but no more than that, you will be able to see the inserts relatively clearly.  Such light conditions are typical on some of the not so well lit sections of a city street.

Right now, every gun I carry has tritium sights, and the lack of ability to get tritiums was one thing that made me hesitate so long to get a Rohrbaugh (although ultimately it didn't stop me).  Now that my wife is getting serious about carrying, her XD9 will soon have tritiums on it.

My recommendation is the MMC with elevation adjustment.  Windage is adjusted just like a fixed sight - loosen the set screws and slide it in the dovetail.  Elevation is adjusted by an allen wrench actuated cam screw.  The inserts are bright.

Stay away from Meprolight.

The one time I shot a larger version of your Walther, I didn't like the trigger, but thought that with practice that could change.  The factory sights made the gun shoot low.  The MMC's will correct that.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 06:44:28 PM »
I with you R9sCarry, that decocker is funky.  I just use my weak thumb to  activate.  I also press check rather than look at the striker.  I haven't shot the gun much, but when I have it performed well.

My philosophy is similar to Billinpitts...  I rarely buy a pistol anymore without nite sights.  And definitely do not carry one without except for the pocket pistols like Kel-tec, Gardian, R9.

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE