Author Topic: I would like some opinions on 2 pistols  (Read 7606 times)

Offline riffraff

• Master
I would like some opinions on 2 pistols
« on: October 26, 2006, 08:26:20 PM »
The knowlegebase and experience of this board is very high so I would like to hear some opinions of and experiences with a couple of handguns.

CZ  PO1

FN-HP DAc

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: I would like some opinions on 2 pistols
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 09:03:38 PM »
No CZ experience Mike, sorry.  And re HP's - just have a BHP Practical.

Hope some folks can assist for you.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 09:18:26 PM »
Mike:

According to my understanding, the CZ  PO1 and the FN-HP DAc are each DA/SA with a decocking lever, a design for which I believe you have expressed a liking in previous postings.  I think the FN, at about 27 ounces, is an ounce or so lighter than the CZ.  Both pistols, I believe, have the same barrel length of 3.8 inches or so.  As for price, they are close, with the CZ being perhaps a bit more expensive but not by much.    

Both pistols are fine 9mm platforms.  My personal preference?  I'm partial to the FNs, but that's just a personal knee-jerk reaction which I admit may be left over from "Cold War" days.  Your choice may come down to which feels the better in your hand.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 12:05:06 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 10:54:10 PM »
Mike,
Why those two and not Beretta, Sig--German mfg.--or
Glock?

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 07:23:45 PM »
Tracker,

Glocks are ugly,  Baretta and Sig don't have models that meet my operating requirements/ergonomics of the "controls" or astetic requirements.

Both the guns I posted about are DA/SA with a decocking lever which is a design I think is the pinnacle for modern handguns so far.  I really liked my old Walther PPK.  It had a decocking lever but the location of the lever was terrible.

Here is what would be cool:  a Walther PPK in 9mm with the decocking lever on the frame so as to be operated by the thumb.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 09:35:17 PM »
Mike,
I understand and agree with the ugly part but I wrap my
fingers, not my arms, around Glocks; they function flawlessly,
pack a lot of rounds, and are my favorite home protection
weapon.
Lately, I have been installing drop-in Storm Lake barrels in
them and they are superb. Sorry I don't have any info on
the CZ or FN pistols that you mentioned.

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 02:51:39 AM »
riffraff - I own several CZ's and believe they are the best kept secret in the gun world. They are completely reliable and virtually fail-proof in my experience, they're accurate, tough, and the ergonomics are the best in the industry, IMO. When you add in that their prices are almost ridiculously low they become almost no-brainer guns to own. For fair balance my only criticism is that their triggers suck - from their design to function they're just not up to par - probably a throwback to their com-bloc military heritage. I've replaced all their new-style triggers with their old-style triggers. The new ones have a severe curvature to them that just slap the hell out of my finger. And I do my own smithing to smooth out the trigger pull and eliminate the hard and gritty pull. A lot of dry-firing will also smooth out the triggers but I'm usually too impatient to wait for that.

I don't own the P-01 but do have the CZ85 Compact - basically an all steel .40 S&W version and it is a great gun. You really can't go wrong with CZ's! Check out the CZ Forum http://p201.ezboard.com/bczechpistols82792and you'll get some more insight into their guns.
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline Arizona

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 05:08:09 AM »
I have to say that Glocks are very functional and dependable.  I like the look and the feel of the glock in my hand.  I tried the feel of the FNH and did not like it.  

Why not look at the Fn 5.7 X 28mm with 20 round clips?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 05:09:14 AM by Arizona »

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 02:31:01 PM »
Sounds to me like you need an HK P7, P7M8, or P7M13... ;D

Best "decocker" on the planet -- uncocked until you squeeze, decocked when you release pressure...
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 09:25:47 PM »
Tracker and All Glock lovers,

One other thing I can't stand about the Glock, they are "plastic".  I can't stand plastic in a firearm.  My guns must be metal and wood.  The only nonmetal parts I will tolerate are the pistol's grips.

FireBreather01,

I agree that CZ's are very underappreciated.  But I have watched the prices of the CZ's climb rapidly in the past several years.  Once CZ found out what they had it did not take them long to raise their prices to be close to other top manufacturers prices.  I also find the sights on the PO1 to be to small.  The sights on the FN-HP DAc are excellent with very large white dots that will work well in low light conditions.
As far as triggers go, all factory triggers are bad IMO.  Unless the gun is a custom or a factory target pistol I personally have never run across a good(IMO) factory production trigger in a DA/SA pistol.   Of course the R9 has the finest DAO trigger I have ever came across.
A CZ forum!, and it looked like it had a LOT of posts.  I would never have guessed.

Arizona,

I have to keep track of enough different calibers as it is.  I do not need some other exotic and probably expensive caliber in my inventory.

flyandscuba,

They are ugly and I don't like any type of grip safety.  Grip safetys don't feel right, I find them distracting as far as getting a comfortable grip.  I also feel that a grip safety, like a magazine safety is not needed.  I feel that those who rely on those types of safeties are not familier or experienced enough with firearms to be able to handle any firearm safely.  That last statement is NOT ment to be a jab at anyone.  I know that there are very many expert gun handlers who happen to own guns with those types of safties built into their guns.

Well, I sure am picky ain't I.  I know what I like.

Mike
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 09:32:11 PM by riffraff »
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 01:22:07 AM »
Actually, the P7 has no grip safety -- it is a cocking lever.  Beauty, I suppose -- is in the eye of the beholder...as many think the P7 looks great (especially in the original black).  As far as accuracy in a 9mm, you'll find no better current production pistol.

Given your two choices, I'd have to lean toward the Hi-Power rather than the CZ -- but that's only because I've previously owned a SA HP, and it was a fine firearm.
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 08:59:29 AM »
 I also feel that a grip safety, like a magazine safety is not needed.  I feel that those who rely on those types of safeties are not familier or experienced enough with firearms to be able to handle any firearm safely.  That last statement is NOT ment to be a jab at anyone.  I know that there are very many expert gun handlers who happen to own guns with those types of safties built into their guns.

Lord have mercy, Mike!  Even with the disclaimer, you could start a veritable firestorm with that comment over on the 1911 Forum.   :D
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 09:26:52 AM »
Richard,

Yeah I know.  A while back on another thread I posted some not very flattering posts about  1911's/SA's and they didn't go over to well here either.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 10:20:16 PM »
Mike,
There are many Sig "decockers" that fit your criteria of steel
and wood; by the way what kind of car do you drive?

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 11:25:12 AM »
tracker,

Since I can only afford one vehicle at a time I do not own a car.  I drive a PU truck.  So why are you curious about my vehicle?  Based on my criteria for a hand gun, what kind of car did you envision that I drove?

All,

About the 2 pistols.  I did and still do want any opinions and experiences with them but I will tell you that I already own both of them and like them very much.  They are quite different from each other in their own ways.  I have culled my pistols down now and only own the two already mentioned and 2 R9's.  Four IS enough.  The PO1 and the FN-HP-DAc even though they are "compact" nines will never be my carry guns.  They are just to big.  These are my range and plinking guns and I guess home defense if they are ever needed.
When I think back to all the handguns I have owned to get to this point I am amazed.  Besides the four I have now I bet I have been through 20 or so.  I am sure many here have me beat as far as that number goes.  So how many handguns have passed thru yous guyses hands over the years.  I will be interested to hear the top number.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member