Author Topic: Gaurdian Melt Down and Cool Holster  (Read 4327 times)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Gaurdian Melt Down and Cool Holster
« on: December 17, 2006, 07:37:05 PM »
Here's my 32 Gaurdian with a Melt Down package by my local gunsmith and a few tenths of ounces safely shaved off here and there that saved me the weight of a loaded mag.

The holster stays on the gun during the draw and shoot and allows the slide to cycle.  You also have access to all controls.
The beauty of the holster is no "L" printing.  The only printing if any is that of a rectangle, like a wallet.  Same goes for the Kel-Tec.

Reinz

« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 07:44:09 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Gaurdian Melt Down and Cool Holster
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 07:48:49 PM »
The Melt Down  did not show up as good for the Gaurdian as I had hoped, but for a scanner, that will have to do.  Also could not show the subtle stippling on the front and back straps.

Reinz

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 09:16:43 PM »
Reinz:

If I am not mistaken, that is one of the earliest G-32s ever  produced,  A real gem!  I think I'll send my own later edition of the G-32 off to NAA for a meltdown and high polish.  I've already done that with my G-380.  Here's a photo of it:

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 11:56:52 PM »
As I type this, my own NAA Guardian .380 is in my pocket.  This gun has the Novak tritium sights, stippled frontstrap and backstrap, and a Teddy Jacobson trigger job.  Unfortunately the meltdown removes too much metal to also cut a dovetail for the front sight, so this wasn't an option.

Although I am very happy with this package, if I were to get another Guardian, I'd seriously consider the meltdown with the gutter snipe sights.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 07:49:44 AM »
Bill:

About the only upgrade my G-380 hasn't had is one of TJ's specialty trigger jobs.  The trigger on mine seems to have smoothed out pretty well with use, but I'm always looking for any possible improvement.  I value your opinions and would appreciate any observations you might care to make regarding the effect the trigger work has had on your pistol's operation.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ROKTMAN

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 08:15:35 PM »
Those look nice guys ,both packages have their own panche.I have a Seecamp that is pretty smooth as is though.Used it before the Pup.I like the high polish and grips Rich...looks very flashy.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 08:58:05 PM »
Thanks, Rok.  One of my shooting buddies is less kind -- he calls it "bling bling."  (I think he's just jealous 'cause I beat him last time at the range.   ;) )
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ROKTMAN

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 12:51:11 AM »
Thanks, Rok.  One of my shooting buddies is less kind -- he calls it "bling bling."  (I think he's just jealous 'cause I beat him last time at the range.   ;) )
;D ;D

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 02:19:11 AM »
Richard S - That is a sharp looking 380!  I especially like the fishscales.

Reinz

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 02:22:17 AM »
BillinPittsburg -  I to would like to know about TJ's trigger work.  Is it as awesome on the little guns as the full-size?
I have heard he is top of the class.

Reinz

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 09:53:23 PM »
Teddy reduced the trigger pull on my Guardian by about 3 pounds, which made a significant difference in my ability to shoot the gun accurately, and also in its usability as a weak hand backup gun.  Turnaround time was 3 weeks.  No springs were cut in reducing the trigger pull, which was very important to me.

However, there is one caveat:  I did experience some light strikes with Mastercast remanufactured ammo, which is usually very good stuff.  I tried the gun with the Cor-Bon I carried, with no problems.  A couple of months later, I experienced 50% failures to fire with Cor-Bon.  All primers showed a good dent, and all fired on the second pull of the trigger.  I understand that NAA went to more powerful mainsprings in the Guardians at some point in time, and sent mine back for a spring upgrade.  When I got the gun back, the failure to fire issue was resolved except for an occasional failure to fire Remington ammo - which others have had problems with in unmodified Guardians.  The trigger pull when I got the gun back from NAA was slightly heavier but still much better than the original trigger pull.

I didn't have any failures to fire prior to the trigger work.

Teddy has said that the firing pins on the Guardians are too soft and have a tendency to deform, causing light strikes.  Others have had light strike issues in unmodified Guardians.

Overall, I am happy that I had the work done, because in the end I got a very reliable Guardian that is now much easier to shoot.

Teddy is presently semi-retired.  Call him before sending him your gun.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 04:15:39 AM »
Bill - thank you so much for taking the time for giving such detailed feedback.  That was very helpful.  Sounds like Teddy is definitely the Man!