Author Topic: An Embarrassing Topic, but...  (Read 5103 times)

Online cargaritaville

• Grand Master
An Embarrassing Topic, but...
« on: February 23, 2015, 10:58:26 PM »
I am going to share this embarrassing incident that happened to me recently in the hopes that it might save someone's life someday.  I have a rule  in my home that I never deviate from. It is that, except for my carry gun, I never never ever have a loaded gun where I store my guns in the house. I never break that rule. I recently purchased a new Sig 1911 Ultra .45. A magnificent gun. When I picked it up from my FFL friend, he gave me a magazine with Sigs new custom ammo in it to try out. I placed it back in the case and took it home. I have a rule that when I pick up a gun from my collection, I always release the magazine first, then I clear the firearm twice. I then handle it. I have been doing this faithfully for 30 years. A few weeks ago, I went to inspect my new Sig. I took it out of the case to admire it. The doorbell rang and I answered the door. I returned to my office about 15 minutes later. I decided that I wanted to feel the trigger pull. I picked up the Sig and aimed it toward the large windows with Key West shutters on them. I gently squeezed the trigger and BOOM!!!!! Loud is an understatement. My initial reaction was WTF? I then looked all over myself for any blood...none. I looked all over for where the bullet went...no sign. By then my screaming and crying wife was all over me. When she saw that I was not hurt, I saw a look on her face that I have never seen on her in over 34 years of being with her. She thought that she had lost me. I went outside and saw a huge hole in the double paned window about 3 inches  perfectly round. My backyard is private, wooded, and overlooks a preserve. Nothing around thank God. I went inside and found a small hole in front of where I was sitting in the shutter. I felt like an idiot. I let my wife down with shattering her security blanket. I let myself down by violating one rule that I never break. I was distracted. I did not release the magazine because I thought for a second that it was a new gun, I never loaded it...there was nothing in it. Ah, but there was. My FFL's magazine gift to me with the Sig ammo was in it. The moral of the story is this. I just turned 61 last month. I am not as sharp as I used to be. That alone is tough to admit. I can't hide things anymore, as I forget where I placed them. Before I leave the house, my ritual now is find the keys, sunglasses, carry bag, and remember to bring all that I need for the day. This is not a 5 minute affair. And then there are my guns. I could have injured or killed myself, or a loved one, or a complete stranger because of a dumb stupid mistake. I have ordered a new safe for the garage. There will be no more guns in the house except for the ccw I carry and always properly put away and the bedroom cannon in case of intruders. I am no longer carrying my ccw with one in the chamber. My vehicle firearm no longer has one in the chamber. I always was very proud of my firearms. I was always very respectful of my firearms. Some where along the line I forgot about  being extra careful. I mentioned this to my FFL friend, who is ex LEO. He just smiled and said "Welcome to the Club". For the rest of your life, you will now exercise more caution than you ever had in all your previous years. Learn from it. I have.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: An Embarrassing Topic, but...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 11:22:10 PM »
Thanks for your humility in sharing this experience that could happen to any of us Norm. I say humility because I count that a strength in being able to reveal your mistake. Thank you! I have 5 boys and can always use a reminder.

I could tell on myself and tell of a time that I or my 15 year old son I was shooting with put a 22 long rifle through my neighbors window with an impossible shot that "could never happen". Poor guy had just gotten back from Afghanistan. I am fortunate he is a good neighbor and understood accidents happen.

Thank God no one was injured in either of our accounts.

Well I try to never say "that won't ever happen to me". That type of pride has stung me way too hard in the past.

Good post. Good reminder. Kind of you to share it. 

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 07:21:52 AM »
Good post and much needed wake up call to all of us who own firearms.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 09:32:27 AM »

A tough story to tell.  I have not had this happen to me yet, but I am well aware that it could.  I have, on occasion, handled a gun I thought was empty and then been surprised to find a round inside.

Thanks for sharing the story.  None of us are above making this type of mistake at some point in our lives.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 09:48:01 AM »
I was at a Gun Show in Illinois several years ago when there was a shotgun discharged in the building during the show.  A prospective buyer asked to look at the gun from a Dealer's table.  Somehow he pulled the trigger and blew a hole in the wall.

I ran into a Dealer friend of mine about a week later and I brought up the AD and he relayed this story.  The shotgun was purchased by a Dealer from someone who brought it into the show.  It laid on his table all the rest of the day.  The next morning before the show opened, he traded it to another Dealer who put it on his table to sell.  That was the table where the gun discharged.  It was amazing how many hands it went through with no one checking it.

The good news was no one was injured.  A guy standing outside the show having a smoke though got the $hit scared out of him when the blast missed him by about 10 feet.

Online cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 10:44:47 AM »
I purchased a firearm thru one of the forums I frequent. It came from a seasoned retired LEO. It had been in his safe a long time. He sent it to my FFL. When I picked it up, I dropped the magazine...it was fully loaded to both of our surprise. I then racked it twice...there was one in the chamber. Surprise surprise. I called the guy I purchased it from and he was mortified. My FFl was embarrassed because he did not check it. I think that instances like this happen more than we care to admit. We are all vulnerable.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 01:27:15 PM »
I have seem more than one ND from military/LEO professionals. We had one were a person was cleaning his M9 and talking to his wife before he cleared his weapon. When he squeezed the trigger the round went through the wall and into a mattress less than 6" below a females head. This guy was so bad with a weapon they ended up sending him home from Afghanistan early, this was not his first issue either.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 05:41:47 PM »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 06:08:16 PM »

No doubt many have heard about this recent one. I don't ever recall a similar fatal accident.

http://gunsovertexasradio.com/2015/02/18/woman-shoots-adjusting-bra-holster/

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 03:26:34 PM »
This happened back in 1993, but it is the strangest story of two related accidental shootings that I have ever heard.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/560-auxiliary-officer-todd-c-johnson

http://www.odmp.org/officer/563-auxiliary-captain-richard-david-shurtz

These shootings occurred in the Metro area that I live in.  The carelessness shown was unbelievable to me.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 07:05:08 PM by MRC »