Author Topic: rohrbaugh listens- New Springs  (Read 25800 times)

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: rohrbaugh listens- New Springs
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 09:48:20 AM »
I agree with tracker. If your pup is having problems send it back to Rohrbaugh and have them look at it. A very small % of guns had problems and the rest are carried on a daily basis.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 11:49:12 AM »
Phantom:

What Tracker and Tom said.  Many of us out here have R-9s which have proven to be fully reliable. The Rohrbaugh team will work with you to insure that yours is fully reliable as well.

I once owned a few thoroughbred horses. The R-9 has some things in common with a thorougbred -- they're beautiful, fast, and powerful . . . but they can also be a bit "high strung."  Get them ready to race, though, and they're hard to beat.

Good luck on getting yours "ready to race."
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline S.F._Phantom

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2006, 08:21:10 PM »
There is no doubt in my mind that Rohrbaugh will fix it.  I have heard nothing but good things about them.  The reason that I have not sent mine back is I hate sending it back and the following week I find out that there is another fix in the works.  I may be waiting a while however I am still waiting for them to come out with a recoil spring that doesn't collapse after 200 rounds of ammo.  I personally feel that a spring that goes bad that fast, is not a reliable spring.  I don't want to have to worry about my secondary or off duty piece sitting in the holster with a spring that might not work because I put 150 rounds through it and forgot to add a new spring with the ammo.  

My other concern is that I only know three other people that own these race horses and all three of us have had problems.  Two feeding problems and one cracked slide.  Not very good odds, three out of three.  

Hopefully, all of these issues will be corrected soon and I can send it back one time and then start carrying it with confidence.
We Are The Pilgrims, Master;We Shall Go Always A Little Further

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 10:44:08 PM »
Phantom,
I agree with you on the springs although I don't feel it is
a major issue. You didn't imagine the 500 rounds first
recommended: it is in my owner's manual. I personally
would prefer chrome silicon springs and we would not be
discussing this issue.
I hope you can resolve your issues and gain confidence in
your pup and not condemn the breed.

Offline S.F._Phantom

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 01:44:43 AM »
Tracker,
You have nothing to worry about from me bad mouthing my little beast.  I talk to you guys as most of you have run across the same problems.  I also believe that we are the final research and development for Rohrbaugh and there is nothing wrong with that.  This is how we help him and his group make the needed improvements.  I say if that is what it takes, then by all means we should do it.  Your statement on chrome silicon springs should be looked into.  We have already put over a thousand dollars into our little beasts, what's a few more to add to their reliability.  This little pistol is so close to being perfect, I would hope that we can keep coming up with good ideas on making this the best, most reliable, most accurate small major caliber hand cannon on the market.

I would also like to thank all of you for your guidance and tenacity.  

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2006, 07:59:38 PM »
S.F. Perhaps you should consider sending it back NOW, and if its not to your satisfaction you could investigate a "trade in" for the .380 model. Im sure it will be much more reliable. I understand your frustrations and concerns. My pup was horrible until I modified it. Id love a stealth but from what ive heard they have issues to so fool me once, etc. It seems ALOT more problems have arose then the kool-aid crowd sometimes care to admit but attempts ARE being made. At least thats a step in the right direction! If your willing to keep working on it, try the new mag springs. That seems to be a major issue. And keep us posted!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2006, 10:27:48 PM »
Koolaid,
If you recall I suggested he send it back for rework also.
How did you fix yours?
If you are associating those of us who have flawless R9s
with the Jim Jones koolaid unfortunate victims then you
are way off base. You may find that we, the "koolaid kids",
have at least as much if not more real world and foreign
shores experience than you could have in your wildest
dreams.

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2006, 06:11:07 AM »
Id love a stealth but from what ive heard they have issues to so fool me once, etc.

What problems has the stealth had?

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2006, 09:32:48 AM »
jarcher, don't worry about it.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2006, 09:43:21 PM »
Koolaid,
If you recall I suggested he send it back for rework also.
How did you fix yours?
If you are associating those of us who have flawless R9s
with the Jim Jones koolaid unfortunate victims then you
are way off base. You may find that we, the "koolaid kids",
have at least as much if not more real world and foreign
shores experience than you could have in your wildest
dreams.

If your that thin skinned I doubt you've had much experience on any shore in any of your wildest dreams or hallucinations. Lighten up dude. I never mentioned you or associated you as a koolaid kid or anything else. If i had, believe me youd know it. While ive no idea what you mean or are trying to say with that comment if you feel the need to broadcast that you were some super mall ninja somewhere or whatever why not create a seperate post just for that?  You obviously dont know me or you'd know how I "fixed mine". Im sure as you read this your preparing to post pictures of medals and awards from some elite unit and indeed drafting some paper as well. Feel free to take this as an opportunity to do so.

Now I will make an effort to retort: I have nothing but respect for Karl Rohrbaugh. Never spoke with Eric so I cant comment. Many R-9 owners have had trouble free products that im sure have not posted here. Thats fine. But many have posted here that have. I for one think thats obvious, and hope they can enjoy a trouble free product in the future. However the same lame "mines perfect, limpwrister, wrong ammo, etc" retorts hold little if ANY comphort for one who has obsearved less than perfect results with the R-9.  That was, and is the point of my original post.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
No furtherRe: rohrbaugh listens- New Springs
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2006, 09:56:37 PM »
No further comment needed; you got the point,

Offline S.F._Phantom

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2006, 12:02:48 AM »
After reading numerous posts, it looks like springs are one of the problems that many of us have in common.  Have any of you heard anything about someone coming out with a chrome silicon spring kit?  Not knowing too much about springs, you would think that there would be a better material that would hold the shape and strength.  Maybe not, just a thought.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 12:07:53 AM by S.F._Phantom »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2006, 12:55:17 AM »
http://www.ismi-gunsprings.com/

Attached is a link about chrome silicon alloy springs.
Marc also produces and sells them. I own several--
glock--1911--HKp7,etc,. and endorse them.

Offline marvin

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2006, 12:46:20 AM »
Was having lots of feeding problems with my R9 OVER THE LAST SEVERAL MONTHS so before sending it back I packed up both magazines and sent them back to the factory for inspection.Got a call from Karl this afternoon.One of the mags was out of spec so he replaced it and he changed out the spring in the other mag with one of the new stiffer springs.He indicated that the new springs were correcting many of the reported feeding problems.
When I get the upgrades I'll test them and give you'll a reliability report.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2006, 08:05:16 AM »
Marvin:

In case I haven't welcomed you to the Forum previously, I do so now.

Let us know if the magazines were indeed the source of your R9's problems.  (They're often the cause when a semi-automatic starts coughing up hairbballs.)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"