Author Topic: Good to be Here  (Read 19202 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Good to be Here
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2005, 06:29:04 PM »
Larry - just a thx for your resume!!  Always good to know a bit about our fellow members.  So - NY eh - well - you sure are better for gun rights now in FL!!!

And you ''survived'' 2 yrs in UK too!!  If you hadn't gathered it I am an ex pat Brit - been here 5 years and lost my 24 handguns collection when the Gov deprived me of them in '97 - I have since caught up - and some!

I too am on marriage #2 ...... and a mere 60 years young!!  Lot of us oldies on here!  Again, welcome and glad to have you on board.  I hope you all member Floridians will manage to ride out the ''Dennis the Menace'' - be glad to see you all back in safe and sound.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2005, 06:44:00 PM »
Welcome Larry, Glad to have you back in the US. If you had a house in Naples that long ago, I bet you wished you had stayed there. With the land values now in that area.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Larry

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2005, 10:49:28 PM »
  Dear R9'ers:  Again thanks for the welcome,Welcome.
RS9-Now I gather, Mate! Sorry for the new 'troubles' in London. Thnx Billmack, K-man for the info-great site, been there before.  Tom- You bet I am sorry for not holding on to house in Naples-5 acres,Gst.house, 3 car garage, pool- sold it in '89 for 245K ! Life is simpler now and things are more compact, as we all know.  But I don't want to complicate this message.  Larry
P.S. Any motorcycle enthusiasts among us?

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2005, 10:55:39 PM »
Oh dear - Larry - did you mention motorcycle.! ;D

Just ''poor man's Harley but hey - my wife and i love it ....... VTX 1300 C4 ..... not too long ago on a poker run.

Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline doubletapMike

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2005, 11:27:47 PM »
Hi Larry, welcome aboard. This is a great forum and the members very quickly become friends and then family. Tom, RJ, and R9s have already saved me on a few different things and they are the nicest, most willing to help folks you will ever get to be in contact with.
The amount of knowledge and help available here is unbelievable and invaluable. If you have a question, or an opinion, this is the place and as you can tell from the weather in Fla., the Members of this Forum feel for their fellow members and really try to help them out.
It sure is nice to part of the family.
Hang in here and you'll enjoy you time.

doubletapMike
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 11:28:56 PM by doubletapMike »
doubletapMike

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2005, 12:27:13 AM »
Hi Larry and welcome!  This forum is full of good and caring people.  You are encouraged to participate and give your two cents on the many listed threads - or start a topic area of your own.  It is a shame that many register on the forum and never seem to post.  I feel we are missing communicating with some great individuals.  A few months wait for a R9 is well worth it - there are those who have waited close to a year.

Chris - didn't realize you were a Bike Guy.  Sold mine seven years ago and still miss it.  After a hard day at work it was a way to get in touch with myself again by riding the back country roads.  I use to put the cameras in the saddle bags and head into the PA mountains - I have photographed many of the covered bridges in your area.  Maybe again some day ...
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2005, 12:33:03 AM »
[size=13]Sold mine seven years ago and still miss it.[/size]
Mike - get another - you owe it to yourself.!  I don't know what I would do at this late stage in life without my biking (plus shooting and R/C planes!).

Yep - many covered bridges in Bedford County - I am very fond of my locale - tomorrow we meet with some buddies and ride up to beyond Hollidaysburg to go visit Indian Caverns.  Should be a nice trip. :)
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2005, 12:54:34 AM »
Enjoy the ride Chris - should be nice - I've never been to Indian Caverns.  Always would park the bike at "Ship on the Mountain" to enjoy the four county view.  When I was a kid it was a thriving business.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2005, 12:59:13 AM »
Oh Dave - ''The Ship''.  Did you know that burned down a coupla years ago or so??  Sad but true.

Not many weeks back Bonnie and rode back on R 30 and stopped there for the view - it was clearer than often and it is good to see so far.

I have pics from way back of the place ''as was'' ....... in fact my earliest days with Bonnie before we wed was of a visit to that place.  It was built in 1932 and for sure, was one heck of an attraction - you can still see over the road what was the tiny gas station ''shed'' LOL.

Times and places change but the ship was certainly one of the very famous places in this corner of PA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Damn typo's - I could swear my figners have a life of their own! ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 01:03:11 AM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2005, 01:21:38 AM »
Yes Chris I saw on the news the Ship burned down -  My parents would make a trip to Shawnee park once a year, before they got their Bedford Co. camp and was there almost every weekend in the summer.  I started stopping at the Ship in 1954 when I was 6.  Then we were lucky if the car got up the mountains without overheating.

One of my nicest Bike runs was with Malcolm Forbes - he flew about six bikes in for his friends and I was one of the lucky ones asked to ride along.  Still have the signed dollar bill.

Time for Bed - hope the best for those in the storms path.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2005, 09:06:13 PM »
Hi Chris, My old bikes were 2 Triumphs,2 BSAs, 1 AJS and a Norton. Then a Harley fat boy. Those were the fun days riding and cruising. What was that old saying "you meat the nicest people on a  H....." What was the deal with that?  Enjoy! Tom

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2005, 09:14:49 PM »
Tom,

I'm very impressed!

I only had a Honda 305cc Super Hark.  That was nothing compared to the Norton.

Bill

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2005, 09:34:52 PM »
Bill, The 2 best bikes were the Triumphs, 1 was a show bike all chrome and candy apple red with white and red rolled and pleated leather seat and knee pads. The other was a Bonniville T120 TT special with 10.5 to 1 compression. It flew! Tom

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2005, 10:11:50 PM »
Tom, Sadly I never had a Triumph tho a buddy had a nice ''Bonny'' and another had a great Norton Dominator - this was back in late 60's!!!

I had a 250 BSA Starfire mid 60's - then went after a biking lapse to a Honda CB250 - followed by a 400 Four.  Longish gap again then K1 Honda GoldWing 1,000 - nice bike!.

Another gap then a temporary Kawasaki 250 Scorpion followed by Yamaha XJ650G - did 36k on that!.  That was followed by Suzuki GS1000G - which I sold when I came over in 2000.  Managed to find a near identical one here and so that did me til 2003 Summer, when I got the current VTX 1300 C4.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dave - did the ride today to Indian Caverns - here is a pic for flavor! Great day  ..........

Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2005, 10:18:43 PM »
Chris, did you ever go over and see Frank Lloyd Wright's house Fallingwater?  That is one of my favorite places.

Also, I was on the way to York, PA for a tour of Harley Davidson factory, but they were down that day for a model changeover.  It was very disappointing.

Bill