Author Topic: Think someone from Rohrbaugh need to address this.  (Read 15112 times)

Offline imthduke

Think someone from Rohrbaugh need to address this.
« on: January 25, 2008, 01:44:18 PM »
There is a slaming of the R9 on this forum that concerned me that I think it would serve to inform the uninformed about the R9.

Well, I got a big surprise today. I work at a gun shop and we sell the Rohrbaugh R9 pistols. They're very small and slick pocket pistols and very expensive too. Last week 2 different customers brought back their R9's for repair. One had just bought it the day before and the trigger wasn't working, and the other one had had the gun for a while and had shot it quite a bit and was having the same problem with the trigger. They wanted the guns sent back to the factory for repair, which we were glad to do, but we were surprised as they were the first ones we've had come back.

The factory was closed until this week, so we shipped the guns off on Monday, but apparently the owner of the gun who'd had it for a while also called the factory Monday to talk to them about his problem. He told us that he had mentioned to whoever he spoke to at the factory that he had fired 150 rounds through the gun when it stopped working and was told that the gun shouldn't be fired that much as it was meant to be a carry gun and not a regular shooting gun!

To be honest, we assumed that the guy either misunderstood what he was told or outright made it up. It didn't make any sense that a gun that finely made and expensive wasn't made to be shot a lot. Except that today the head of Rohrbaugh, Karl Rohrbaugh, called us about the guns we had sent and during the course of the discussion he confirmed that the gun was not intended to be shot a lot and that 150 rounds was too much. He said that every few months he shoots a magazine full through his gun, cleans and reloads it, then puts it back in his pocket. Of course, he's going to fix the guns and send them back to us, but that still doesn't explain the crazy limitation on shooting.

I certainly don't mean to offend anyone who has or likes the guns, nor am I saying that it's a bad gun, but I thought this information should be shared since nowhere on the company's website does it say anything about this important restriction. Also, I have to admit that I have not read the gun's manual and don't know if this matter is mentioned there, but even if it is it's very likely that a buyer would not see it until after purchasing the gun. I have to say that I'm very surprised and disappointed by the whole matter and I just wanted to pass on the information to anyone interested.

the link is here...probably have to be registered
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/concealed-carry-guns/39426-lowdown-rohrbaugh-r9.html

This caused a pile on effect and trashing of the R9 as total junk. I have an R9 and that has not been my experience. Think someone from Robrbaugh needs to respond.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: Think someone from Rohrbaugh need to address t
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 03:08:03 PM »
I have some customers that own R9s and have shot over 4,000 rds and no problems.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 03:25:16 PM »
Duke:

Welcome to the Forum, and thanks for the heads up regarding that other board. When I checked the site I found that Duane, Chris, Roc, and you had just about said it all.

The R9 and the P7 have several things in common, including 9mm caliber, superb quality, thousands of satisfied owners . . . and a few detractors who just don't understand. But as we used to say in the Army, "There will always be five percent who don't get the word."   ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 05:26:37 PM »
Richard,
We were worse in the Navy because 10 per cent didn't get
the word; this was less excusable because of the captive
audience and more confined space aboard ship. One sailor
told me one time that being in the Navy was like being in
prison and serving aboard ship was like being in solitary
confinement. I advised him to go back to South Carolina as
soon as his enlistment expired and I think he did just that.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 05:39:32 PM »
 those folks in that report need to get their facts straight. They mis- quoted what was said period.   Tom

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 05:52:49 PM »
I agree, Tom; it was taken way out of context in addition
to being bad wrong.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 08:38:07 PM »

tracker,

As a 6 year Navy vet myself I can honestly say that if I were giveing advice  to a family member on which  branch to join that I would tell them f*** the Navy, join the Marine Corps before you join the Navy.  I am an Air Force brat myself and did 3 years of ROTC in high school to boot(not a popular crowd at that time).  FTN Never Again.  Join any service except the Navy.   MHO.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 08:44:55 PM »
why not the Navy?  I know its hard on the service folks and the familys being out to sea, but I think it is way safer than being in the street waiting for someone to shoot you or blow you up.  Tom

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 08:58:16 PM »
I think that point went through my original thought process;
as it turned out, carrier flying was a bit dangerous also.
Some of the finest and most intelligent people I met were
career Navy. It is a very classy service branch, but, indeed,
the Marine Corps is a branch of the Navy Department--here
we go again.

Offline imthduke

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 09:44:58 PM »
Hey....why didn't someone tell me this....the Marine Corps is in the dept of the Navy? Say it ain't so. I think the Navy is a part of the dept of the Leather Necks ;D

Semper Fi...do or die. USMC Vietnam 67-68. Btw, when I left Vietnam we were winning. 8)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 09:45:31 PM by imthduke »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 11:20:07 PM »
Good on you, Duke.

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 08:28:46 AM »
rifraff:

I'm going to take a bit of exception to your FTN statement.  Having spent 20 years in the USN, I can understand where that statement is coming from, but I don't know that the Navy is far different from any of the armed services.  I also served with a Marine Infantry Regiment.  

My family has had a long standing connection with the Navy.  Between my father, myself, and my two brothers, we gave nearly 100 years of combined service.  In addition, there has been a ship named (three times) after one of our family members (from way back).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 08:30:51 AM by K-Man »
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline imthduke

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »
K-Man,

I know your comment was not directed to me, I was just bustin your chops ;D

Anchors away and Semper Fi.....we face a common enemy and it aint each other.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 05:47:57 PM »

K-Man,

You wouldn't happen to be a retired Officer, would you?

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 10:02:49 AM »
I addressed the misunderstanding on that thread at DefensiveCarry and it seems to have run its course.  ;)
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com