Author Topic: Proud new owner, need advise  (Read 15742 times)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Proud new owner, need advise
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 08:28:06 PM »
littleguns,
     I like the way you are going about your testing, using multiple brands and weight bullets. I did the same thing and continue to try different ammo in my pup, I have found nothing it will not shoot reliably.
    It is always good to have a reliable backup brand of ammo for your carry gun in the event you can't get your first choice brand.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline littleguns

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 10:56:15 PM »
Thank you all for the support. It has all been helpful. It seems the "hard Primer " situation has been identified by Rohrbaugh and they are giving good advise o n ammo chose. With one type of ammo (american eagle I had a couple of FTE. The rounds in the box were spotty looking, sort of tarnished. I wonder if that played a roll in the problem. Perhaps casings were swollen or out of round from mosture. Other then that one box of ammo  I only had FTF due to hard primers with CD and GS. Something I was well warned about in advance. In any case I will try some new WWB for plinking and GD and silver tips for carry. Not sure if this gun requires a break in. I did notice the final 50 rounds fired had no problems regardless of ammo. Think I will be ordering a few springs soon. FYI the EZ carry pouch for LCP works well with the R9 and carries a spare mag. Also the smart carry for the LCP seem to do well. I still have not decided exactly how to carry this gun. In summer I find i need my pants pockets for other things. May use IWB. Would like to hear ideas on carry.
                                                                        Thanks

R9,G19, P85, S&W36, P3AT, LCP, DE ME380, NNA22MAG, NNA22, MK3 22.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 11:35:09 AM »
Well, hopefully, soon, I will be trying out a cross draw from Meco as I posted earlier, for use in the vehicle.  I can't get the gun out of my pocket while sitting in the car or truck.  IWB would be a good option for other than pocket carry, I would think.  Meco can do that, too!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline littleguns

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 08:28:42 PM »
I was on Meco's website and I didn't see a cross draw. Is he making it special? Cross draw seems like a good idea, would love to see one. I was at the local gun shop today looking at holsters. The closest I could find was a deep IWB holster for the small springfield, seemed big for the R9. I also picked up some Winchester Supreme Elite ammo. Guess its there good stuff. I think I will be in need of a spring soon. Any idea on how long it will take to get some from Rohrbaugh?
                                                          Thanks

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 08:36:20 PM »
I don't think he shows one on his website yet but here is a picture of one that was shown here today http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Accessories;action=display;num=1248451537;start=45#45

I dont think the snap is in the position MECO normally puts them.  I think it was requested to be custom made where it is in those pictures.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 09:14:32 PM »
I was on Meco's website and I didn't see a cross draw. Is he making it special? Cross draw seems like a good idea, would love to see one. I was at the local gun shop today looking at holsters. The closest I could find was a deep IWB holster for the small springfield, seemed big for the R9. I also picked up some Winchester Supreme Elite ammo. Guess its there good stuff. I think I will be in need of a spring soon. Any idea on how long it will take to get some from Rohrbaugh?
                                                          Thanks

Robert is making it special or at least like DaninVA's.  Robert has named the holster "Dan The Man" except mine is for a Seecamp.

Don't know how long it will take to get springs from Rohrbaugh.  I would think it would be fairly quick.  Just a guess.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline littleguns

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 04:11:59 PM »
Great report
      Today I went to the outdoor range even though it was raining. I received Silver tips in the mail yesterday and was excited. I showed up armed with GD, ST, WWB, and Winchester Supreme. 150 rounds shot with no failures. Plus achived a fairly small group from 7 yards. I consider it a success. The gun works great once you understand it. I now have confidence in it. I spoke with Marie yesterday regarding new springs and screews. No new word on the 45 cal. I figured i would ask. But it is still a live idea. I remain on the fence with carry options. I think I was spoiled by LCP's weight. I think I like the pager pal for this gun. Its wieght is supported by the belt but it is invisible to the eye far below the waist. Pocket carry bulky, IWB uncomfortable, OWB too visible. I don't know I am just whinning now. This from a guy who wore a 21 oz Revolver IWB for twenty years. And that was the small gun. In any case I love this unique little blaster and will carry it for years to come.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 06:46:56 PM »
Sounds like another happy R9 owner. :D
I pocket carry most of the time, and OWB the rest, I don't have an IWB holsters for any of my guns.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 07:25:37 PM »
Well, littleguns.  Looks like a proficient day at the range and to your confidence.  Glad everything is coming together.    :)

Offline littleguns

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2010, 09:33:28 AM »
Hello again
    Been out of touch a while hope all are well. However still enjoying this great little gun. I am occassionally reverting back to the LCP while in my sleepy little town. Nothing disapears in sweatpants like it. However the R9 is number one if any risk is involved or normal clothes are worn. I just received the Guru pocket holster. It is like a back pocket holster, however the solid backing is removable. Making it more of a front pocket holster. I like it this way. It dosen't really print as a gun like many other holsters. It gives a square impression in the front pocket without the bulk of the extra flap.  I ended up going with the Winchester Silvertips as a carry round thanks to my experience with it plus good advise from Ktrains and others.
    I have a question about Glaser safety round. Has anyone used them in the R9, any feed problems, etc?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2010, 09:52:45 AM »
littleguns.  Thanks for the update, and glad you like the Winchester Silvertips; also the Guru pocket holster.  Don't have any experience with Glaser safety rds.  Continue to enjoy!

Offline littleguns

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2010, 11:13:35 AM »
I did some research on the Glasers. Aparently they are better in revolvers. May have difficulty racking the slide in some autos. I was worried about over penetration with the 9. Thinking to have one Glazer in the pipe backed up with ST. More reseach to do on this. Did you ever get your Cross draw holster?
                                       Thanks again

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2010, 11:25:42 AM »
Littleguns:

The 9mm Glaser Safety Slug is a +P round. Don't load it in your R9.

http://www.dakotaammo.net/Glaser-Safety-Slug/9mm-Luger--Plus-P-80gr-Glaser/01000-01200/500/Product

« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 11:30:47 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2010, 11:35:01 AM »
Yep! I did.  It's for the Seecamp.  It really does the job; perfect angle, while sitting in the vehicle.

Offline littleguns

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2010, 12:20:04 PM »
Wow nice looking holster. The seeecamp 32 is nice and small must be pretty good in the waist band. Car Jackers beware. Wouldnt mind getting one for my Micro Eagle. Richard S thanks for the warning about the +P, thats a real no no for the R9. I wonder if there are  any alternatives for over penetration with the R9, just a thought. Concerned about apartment living etc.