Author Topic: Proud new owner, need advise  (Read 15759 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Proud new owner, need advise
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2010, 03:31:12 PM »
Here are some thoughts from Forum members on frangible ammo.  Just for info.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1104469206;start=8#8
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline littleguns

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2010, 06:42:54 AM »
Great food for thought, Just what I needed. Will look into the frangable type in non plus P. What about a 9MM blank for a first round. Perhaps an option other then leaving the pipe empty, think they call it condition three carry. Could always rack it out or fire twice if need be. Again just thoughts for safey.
R9,G19, P85, S&W36, P3AT, LCP, DE ME380, NNA22MAG, NNA22, MK3 22.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2010, 07:05:03 AM »
Just my thinking, that first round is too important to be a blank and time is critical in a defense situation.  You won't have time to be thinking and you don't want any variables thown in.  Again, just my thoughts.  

« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 07:48:42 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline littleguns

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2010, 01:49:34 PM »
That is fair reasoning. No way to predict every senario. Just keep it simple. Point and shoot. Still like the idea of a glaser type first round. Feel many confrontation will end within that first shot. Cause a flight and not fight response once they know its for real, even in the case of an attacking dog or BG with a knife. Also accidental discharges almost always involve only one shot.  

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2010, 02:31:55 PM »
Great food for thought, Just what I needed. Will look into the frangable type in non plus P. What about a 9MM blank for a first round. Perhaps an option other then leaving the pipe empty, think they call it condition three carry. Could always rack it out or fire twice if need be. Again just thoughts for safey.

A blank for the first shot will not cycle the slide, auto's rely on the pressure created by the bullet. No bullet no cycle.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2010, 02:42:56 PM »
That is fair reasoning. No way to predict every senario. Just keep it simple. Point and shoot. Still like the idea of a glaser type first round. Feel many confrontation will end within that first shot. Cause a flight and not fight response once they know its for real, even in the case of an attacking dog or BG with a knife. Also accidental discharges almost always involve only one shot.  

Keep it simple is a good motto.  Excellent.

Offline littleguns

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2010, 10:22:11 PM »
Once again good advise from all. Carried the "pup" today for the entired day. Driving, walking in urban environment, etc. Used new pocket holster, it was all good. Couldn't say I forgot it was there like a Kel Tec but also felt i had the confidence of a real gun and bullet. It will be easy to live with. Felt ok sitting at dinner. None of the pinching once felt with the IWB 38 snubby. I have faith in the 9mm, this weapon answers many questions. Home defense, carry, travel. If I had to chose only one weapon to own this would have to be it. Although I would certanly miss my G19. :-/

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2010, 10:49:22 PM »
Glad it's working out, littleguns.  Continue to enjoy.

Offline littleguns

Pocket Slipper
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2010, 11:36:26 AM »
Happy 4th all
     I have become interested in the "Pocket Slipper" laser sight gizmo for the R9. It is listed on the Rohrbaugh website. I would assume it has their endorsement. This devise attaches to the bottom of the gun giving it a square wallet like print in the pocket, plus it come with the only laser sight avalible for the R9 that I know of. I became interested in this because I like a similar wallet type set up for the LCP. The dimenions are almost exact for the two guns, even in width for pocket carry while using the pocket devises. So does anyone have an opinion or experience on the pocket slipper? it lists for 149.00.
                                                             Thanks  

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2010, 11:39:23 AM »
littleguns, forget it and keep it simple, point to center of mass and shoot.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2010, 01:02:21 PM »
I agree with Tom,had one for my Seecamp..

Interesting "Toy",but I found it unsafe to put in ones pocket with the trigger exposed! :o

That is a no-no with a pocket pistol..
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline littleguns

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2010, 01:08:57 PM »
Yeah must admit the exposed trigger in the pocket makes me a bit nervous. Fumbling for keys, etc. Not that I would intensionally but keys in same pocket, but could easily happen by mistake. I also wonder how fast you can get a good grip with this devise. The similar devise on my LCP takes getting use to.  

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2010, 01:11:52 PM »
Just my thinking, but I like a holster, and like Tom states, keep it simple.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 01:12:41 PM by kjtrains »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2010, 09:34:37 PM »
The only issue I have with a laser is it's one more thing to possibly fail in time of need. I got rid of all of mine on my carry guns.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2010, 10:29:56 PM »
This is my personal rule, nothing more.

I will not carry a pocket pistol unless its trigger is covered by a holster while the pistol is in the pocket. "Stuff" happens, and the sheer embarrassment of shooting myself in the leg, foot, or "private parts" would be almost as painful as the wound itself. ::)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"