Author Topic: Stippling For My Rohrbaugh  (Read 5750 times)

Offline RetiredBadge

• Sharpshooter
Stippling For My Rohrbaugh
« on: April 12, 2011, 10:23:20 PM »
I have had stippling on my 1911. I have searched and may have missed it, but has any one had their little pistol stippled on the front strap?  If so, how do you like it and who did the work?

Any information or comments are well appreciated.

Carl (RB)

Offline Z

• Grand Master
Re: Stippling For My Rohrbaugh
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 11:01:19 PM »
I had AP&W chercker my PUP. I was told they stipple as well.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:01:42 PM by wolverine_450 »

Offline RetiredBadge

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 11:05:06 PM »
Well it may be the checkering that I pictured in my feeble mind.  ???

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
It's not a great pick of the checkering, but you can get the point.
Bob Cogan does a great job on his custimization!

[img][/img] ;D

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 11:16:14 PM »
I like the checkering as opposed to the stippling. I think it looks a lot cleaner.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 11:18:30 PM »
[img][/img]

Offline RetiredBadge

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 11:48:48 PM »
The one above is a perfect picture and that is what I have on my mind.  I will google Cogan.

I am not for sure if lessons its value or would enhance the value. I guess it would all depend on the buyer.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:51:23 PM by RetiredBadge »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 12:24:23 AM »
RB,
   Stippling is much cheaper than checkering. Corey had a pup stippled by Cogan I believe. I have a stippled Seecamp and it is very grippy with the stippled front & back strap.

Here is a link to the post, about six post down.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Gunsmith;action=display;num=1262430626
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 12:25:56 AM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 01:37:03 AM »
I used to do checkering on 1911's under my business trade name,  Jawbones LTD in the '70's and '80's.   I looked the frame over on my R9S and I believe that it wouldn't be that big a deal.   Maybe on the wish list somebody should put that because it would be a very simple matter to have the frames made that way from the mold and then cleaned up.  I suspect for size probably 40LPI or finer would work.

The problem I ran into is that actually while one would think that coarser checking would catch on clothing rather than finer,  I found that the reverse is true.   Drag fine cloth like a piece of silk across 20LPI and it won't tend to catch but try it with 30 to 50 LPI and it catches every time.   At least that was my experience.   My checkering was "back relieved" which at the time only Jim Hoag was doing as well as myself.  Now more people do it.   I taught my main student Captain Eagle to do it and then he back relieved everything.  I attach this link only for the checkering pictures not for the puff of the obvious fan who has that pistol now.

http://davesplace.yuku.com/topic/766/t/Bidwell-Pistol--quot-Jawbones-quot--quot--Major-quot.html

I no longer do the work and wouldn't do it now for anything.  I save the soft skin of my hands and fingers to flat pick bluegrass on my pet Collings guitar.   If it were me, I'd probably opt for skateboard tape and save the money.  But if someone wants to see if they can get someone to do it, I'm happy to recommend a couple of people I know who might try it.   But the guys I know are anything but fast.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 01:47:14 AM by flintsghost »
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms