Author Topic: RECLUSE Prototype!  (Read 19093 times)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: RECLUSE Prototype!
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2010, 01:48:36 AM »
sd - if you take a closer look at how the trigger goes in the holster it is actually "Enclosed" and held in place, rather than "covered up" like conventional holsters do.
As long as your gun is "locked in" the holster, there is no way to pull the trigger until you lift the pistol out.

It is just an unconventional holster, but very functional, just think of it as - Pup on the half shell ;D
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2010, 10:04:55 AM »
Maybe someone should review this product for a gun magazine...  Oh, I did.   ;)

http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/concealed-carry-gear-reviews.htm

I used a Recluse for a period of over a month with a Ruger LCP.  I found it to work very well.  These guys make a nice product.

The question was -- what advantage does it have over other holster designs?  This holster design eliminates the problem of separating the gun from the holster on the draw.  No need for hooks on the holster, thumb pushers, or special techniques.  When you grip the gun in the holster, it separates for a clean draw.  If separating the gun from the holster is your issue -- this IS your solution.

There are drawbacks.  The finish on one side of the gun is not really protected against your pocket.  Depending on your gun and finish, that may not be a big deal.  It does, by definition, make the rig a little thinner too, of course.

You also can't re-holster without taking the whole rig out of your pocket.  Also probably not a big deal in most situations, but something to be aware of.

I agree that having something touching the trigger wigged me out a bit at first.  I got used to it.  The process of putting the gun in the holster is very safe.  Further, the carrying is exceptionally safe because the trigger simply can't move.

The Recluse is truly a new idea -- which I like.  And, as you can see, it's pretty cool looking.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2010, 10:29:13 AM »
Duane,
    Good review.
   It is certainly a step off the beaten path in holster design. I'm not sure it's for me, I would need to carry one to make an honest assessment.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline nase

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2010, 11:47:08 PM »
I've ordered mine. It was too interesting a design not to try, and the price puts it pretty close to the cheapest holster I own (I've bought some cheapos in the past, but I no longer own them).

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2010, 05:05:22 PM »
I took delivery of my Recluse about 10 days ago, and it works exactly as advertised.  Time will tell how long the trigger block lasts.  It does make for a clean draw: once you pop the gun off the trigger block, there is absolutely no resistance to drawing the gun, and the holster stays in the pocket.  Nice product, well made.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2010, 06:07:37 PM »
Musician.  Glad you like this new form of holster.  Good to hear of a owner's use.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Recluse

• Expert
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2010, 12:16:51 PM »
Thanks for the nice reviews.  Sorry I haven't posted for a bit.
I took a nasty tumble off my mountain bike, and buggered up my hand.  It's immobilized from the fingertips to the elbow-  Quite a bit of drama for just one small broken bone!
 Typing this with one hand takes a while!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2010, 01:12:11 PM »
WOW!  Sorry for your injury.  Hope it heals quickly!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2010, 02:14:15 PM »
Thanks for the nice reviews.  Sorry I haven't posted for a bit.
I took a nasty tumble off my mountain bike, and buggered up my hand.  It's immobilized from the fingertips to the elbow-  Quite a bit of drama for just one small broken bone!
 Typing this with one hand takes a while!

Recluse:

I feel your pain. Years ago I broke my right thumb while skiing and had to wear a similar cast. It was a hassle even to get my pants zipped. But what I remember most was the itching under that da**ed cast. ::)

Heal quickly!

[size=10]Edit: Typo.[/size]
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 04:51:09 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2010, 02:32:13 PM »
Looks like backorders!
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline cooperr1234

• Expert
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2010, 10:57:44 AM »
Recluse, sounds nasty. Sit back relax and have a couple of cold ones to heal the pain.... ;D

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2010, 11:50:15 AM »
       So, did you change your username to Wrecluse?  ;D ;D Gene
birdman

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2010, 12:05:24 PM »
 ;D

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2010, 12:44:21 PM »

;D ;D ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Recluse

• Expert
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2010, 02:03:46 PM »

Dang!  Now I gotta clean the coffee off the computer with one hand!

I have a "half cast", a hard fiberglass splint that immobilizes the arm, protects the injured area, but is held on with elastic bandages, so I can take it off to occasionally wiggle the fingers and (carefully) take a shower.

Follow-up X-ray yesterday showed it is progressing as expected.

The good things about a cast:

-A great conversation starter.  Amazing how many people want to know what happened and/or want to tell their story of formerly broken bones.

-My wife doesn't expect much to get done around the house.   ;D  She told me NOT to take out the garbage!
Wonder how long I can keep this up?

We're still shipping holsters.  I like to keep an inventory on the shelves so we can ship the same day, but that is slipping a bit.  I'll keep plugging away at half-speed.....