Author Topic: Considering the Beginning…and the End  (Read 28010 times)

Offline Magrred

Re: Considering the Beginning…and the End
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 12:03:21 PM »
When I first found out about the Rohrbaugh firearm I was intrigued and started doing research to find out as much as I could about them before actually buying one. That is when I stumbled upon this site approximately 15 months ago. To say the least I was very impressed with the vast knowledge and professionalism of the participants and their willingness to share their knowledge and experiences.

To summarize my participation and gain as much technical knowledge as I could, I tried talking little and listening a lot. I didn’t feel compelled to add my 2-cents worth to every post or offer opinions that had little value. Also, many answers can be found by searching the archives.

The end result is that I purchased 3 new Rohrbaughs and am proud of all of them. Also, what little communication I have had with the Rohrbaugh factory was very friendly, informative and professional.

This forum has been invaluable to me personally and is one of only two that I monitor on a regular and frequent basis. The other one is the Seecamp forum which I found out about through this forum. Both are great sites and offer grey-beard experiences and knowledge that cannot be found elsewhere.

While I certainly understand the frustrations of our administrator, I personally and “selfishly” would like to see it continue. Where else would we be able to collectible get the information that is provided here. Also, going forward may present a bigger challenge for Rohrbaugh owners to stay abreast of what is happening with both old and new firearms.

I certainly understand that some owners may be disgruntled about what is happening or the way it is happening but it is what it is regardless of how much we may want to bitch, moan or complain. And that accomplishes nothing. We need to remain disciplined and monitor the information as it becomes available. In the end we may need to do a check and adjust but that remains to be seen.

Meanwhile, “DON’T KILL THE MESSANGER.” Thanks Duane for all your time & efforts.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 12:15:14 PM »
To summarize my participation and gain as much technical knowledge as I could, I tried talking little and listening a lot. I didn’t feel compelled to add my 2-cents worth to every post or offer opinions that had little value. Also, many answers can be found by searching the archives.

I subscribe to this same philosophy: Read often, post seldom.  Similar to something else we all know and love.. ;D
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 11:08:35 PM »

Thanks, everyone.  I have received a wealth of great comments and advice -- both here and in private messages.  As always, I am humbled by the kind words and cogent advice.  My thanks to all of you for your input.

As I consider this further, there is no magic to March 20th date.  Although I like round numbers, this seems like we are still in a transition period and this is the only good place to be a clearinghouse for new information.

So, let's keep plugging down this road for now and see where the winds take us.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline dmunofo

• Sharpshooter
  • 1 year Rohrbaugh owner
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 12:07:49 AM »
Duane,

I first leaned about a Rohrbaugh through a friend's brother who carries it down in FL.  When I started  to do research, this was the place that solidified me buying one.  I have learned a whole lot about this gun through this forum and truly owe the guys on here a lot.  I use my K380 as an off duty carry daily!!  I trust this gun with my life!!  Ending this forum would mean that a wealth of knowledge that has been compiled would be gone....and that would be a shame. 

While I do understand that the changing of Rohrbaugh Firearms will change the dynamics of this close knit group, but why not wait and see what develops.  If the company forces you to cease and desist due to the name of the forum, then maybe it could reopen as a new chapter under a new name called the "Tribute Forum".   This would be dedicated to the preservation of the Deer Park's and Farmingdales.  That way the guys here could continue to post about their original Rohrbaughs. 

Now if you think that it may not be rewarding anymore, then I totally understand.  I run a national car club website for the Lotus Marque, and I can speak from experience that it is a lot of work, and it can thankless at times.  Ask me what keeps me going.....it's for the love of the Marque and ownership of the car.  Here's the kicker...I am selling my car as we speak after 11 years of ownership, but I have no intention of leaving the club as a past club president/and current Senior advisor....in addition to continuing the website.

Just some food for thought.

Dominick

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 12:16:39 AM by dmunofo »
Active LEO, Duty Weapon SIG P220, Off Duty H&K USP Compact .45, K380 2 tone with blue carbon fiber VZ grips, Benchmade Triage side blade,

Offline m9x18

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 12:33:15 AM »
Hi Duane,

Although, I have not contributed as much to this forum as much as I perhaps should have, I have enjoyed every minute I've spent here. You and so many of this forum’s members have so greatly enlightened me to the wonders of the R9. I have learned so much along the way thanks to you and everyone here. This forum has been a virtual and much-needed library of Rohrbaugh pistol facts and information. Thank you for giving all this to us.

One of the reasons I have had not so much to say is that I’ve had really no problems with my little pup. I’ve had nothing to complain about. All I could do was congratulate new owners as I too was welcomed. From the pistol itself to the wonderful customer service I’ve received from Maria and everyone at Rorhrbaugh, My Rohrbaugh pistol experience has been simply wonderful.

I feel proud to be a member of this forum (or better said; family). If you do find the time and energy to do it, please stick with it a little while longer. At least until we see how things develop with all the changes we can expect in the near future.

Sincerely,

Robert
Robert

All that is complex is not useful and all that is useful is simple. -- Mikhail Kalashnikov

Offline Chihuahua TN

• Denial, after all, is a powerful thing!
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 10:31:38 PM »
Duane,
The work you do is immensely important to everyone who has a Rohrbaugh product. I have carried my R9  (R65*) for close to 6 years now,  and I could not have done it with out this site. Please keep it up,
Sincerely,
Mike

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 01:34:46 AM »
Duane,
I understand your thoughts in your original statement..The Pup will change,and I am sure that people will continue to come and visit for info and facts about our favorite pocket rocket!!

I found this place also early on when I first heard of the Rohrbaugh and even though I don't frequent as much as I want,this forum is near and dear to my heart!!

I hope for the best for the old and the new Pup,and everyone that is a part of them!!
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2014, 09:26:37 PM »
Every morning I check into this Forum to see what's new. Every night I check into the Forum to see what's new. Is it me or does it seem that the people on this Forum have gone silent? I hope that apathy has not set in. Back in 1992 I bought a new Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce convertible. I then found out that 4 months later Alfa Romeo called it quits in the US and left. The Alfa Romeo forum was buzzing with all the doomsday scenarios. I held onto mine all these years. Never a problem with spare parts, never a problem finding a good mechanic. The cars depreciated and appreciated no differently than any other foreign convertible. Then Alfa Romeo announced their return to the US in 2015. Since that announcement, Alfas have doubled in price. Part because of most convertibles appreciating, and also part of the feeling that better days are ahead. I am a firm believer that if you want to predict the future, look to the past. I believe that better days lie ahead for Rohrbaugh, and purchasers of their fine firearms. Just my 2 cents.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2014, 10:11:21 PM »

Yes, forum activity has been exceptionally low.  I'm sure it has a lot to do with the general atmosphere on the forum.  The issues with the sale (for which there has been no update in months) seem to dominate the discussions lately.

At some point there will be a lot to talk about, I suspect...

These are the kind of web stats that tend to implode an advertising program.   ;)

Duane (DDGator)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 09:27:48 PM »
 Duane: Remember what Danny Devito said in the movie "Other Peoples Money" in 1991. When you're trying to get an increasing share of a decreasing market…its too late.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2014, 08:32:53 AM »
Expand the scope of the market..."pocket pistols" or some such.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 09:05:56 AM »

Unless Remington really takes off with a line of pistols identifiable as Rohrbaugh pistols, the market for this forum will be shrinking, for sure.  That likely means either a shift to a user funded site or a pivot to a larger audience of some type with a different URL but a porting of the existing content into a Rohrbaugh sub-forum.

Too early to figure that out just yet, but thinking...

Duane (DDGator)

Offline MaddogR9

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 11:17:02 AM »
Totally understand the points made and the frustration due to the unknowns about the future of the pistol line.  I Have followed this forum for several years, loved DDGator's website posting of his factory visits and range reports...... and it wasn't until a few months ago I actually joined the forum...... Obviously selfishly .....because I desperately needed a part, and the factory would not respond. Being Not much of a poster, I have appreciated the info shared and the common appreciation for our R9's.  I check the forum every few days....NOW mostly to see if there is any news on factory and spare parts. plus I follow listings on gun-broker constantly looking for an excuse to buy another. 

I also have researched on internet other postings, finding comments from Eric, and others, on the sale that sound as though he was very stressed and is very glad to have been able to sell / get out. But Never having luck on finding much on Karl. 

I love my R9's.  One being my daily carry since 2008 and the other a safe queen, but find it very frustrating that I cannot get the part I need for the pistol....I have purchased springs from Wolff.....and I am working on coming up with a replacement for my needed mag release. I find it very frustrating, as owner of numerous antique firearms & curios /relics, that I can find parts, for the most part, easier then my R9......even though most have been out of production for years.  I can't understand buying a business with such a loyal following and then going totally quiet.... Seems updating a simple voice message, press release updates, and contacting/updating a forum dedicated to their loyal customers would be simply good business......and Would be protecting the value of there new asset. I hope DDGators doesn't stop, or loose his passion for the R9, but without the new ownership placing a value on his efforts, and the forums value, I expect it will be near impossible.  The Rohrbaugh's obviously appreciated DDGators efforts........ I realize I haven't done much to show my appreciation either!

My R9 functions flawlessly, using various ammo,(even though Gold Dots are my daily choice) and is a hoot to shoot despite what others may say....My carry may not be the unblemished beauty it was when I bought it, but every scar caused by it being with me everyday makes it more mine, and even MORE appreciated for its workmanship. Thanks DDGator for your efforts!

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 11:56:42 AM »
and I am working on coming up with a replacement for my needed mag release. I find it very frustrating, as owner of numerous antique firearms & curios /relics, that I can find parts, for the most part, easier then my R9......even though most have been out of production for years.  I can't understand buying a business with such a loyal following and then going totally quiet....

Thank you for the kind words -- I appreciate it.

The parts are an issue.  Don't forget that the R9 was never a high production gun, and the parts have always been single sourced from the factory.  The only spare parts in existence (other than a handful owned by various individuals) are in Remington's possession now.  The real question is whether they will start making new parts, and to what extent they will be compatible with the original design.

As for the quietness -- I don't understand it either.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2014, 07:57:33 PM »
 Mr DDGator

Forums are a b*tch to run and moniter.  I prefer a simple website. Too bad you can't put together a website that shows the history of Rohrbaugh. The silence of the forum is because the gun is in limbo.